It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlas Shrugged vs. Godzilla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
*Concise Abstract* This has to do with Ayn Rand and objectivism... And how it can't possibly work in a Non-Linear System such as the human condition. Godzilla represents a random occurrence, an unknown unknown and/or Non-Linearity.
If you don't know what this is about, feel free to immerse yourself with Ayn Rand, it will "temper" your views (Inside joke Rearden Metal and all
Ok let's be objective, this is what pure objectivism purports anyways.

You agree we live in a world of opposites and the spectrum in between, correct? Basic statistics and the bell curve concept. So there will be a large average majority (spectrum) and two diametrically opposed minorities on either end.
-Here's the conundrum, So you want more geniuses? There is a diverse crowd of genius involving, again a bell curve of diversity. Left brain, spectrum in between and then the right brain genius at the right. Want to shift that to only left brain types? When you want to shift the bell curve and create a long tail you need more choices to satisfy a diverse population. But where does that diversity of genius hail from but a diverse population of you guessed it, different beliefs, upbringing, geographical area (hence different fascinating problems to solve) etc. So a static, homogeneous population would not be a fertile breeding ground.

To me, any desirable trait that you identify early on in life you posses you will naturally try to master. Therefore making your life a pursuit of that trait and add others that align to it in order to become admired/powerful/feared etc.
-Here's the conundrum, you need to be among turkeys to realize you are an eagle. So a static, homogeneous population would not be a fertile breeding ground.

I'd have to think of other things that resemble what the Atlas Shrugged crowd is in reality yearning for which is an unidentified purity. But in order to achieve that purity take into these brief objective insights that require utilizing high school knowledge and realize that it is unattainable. Why? Because these two plus some (*ahem* brace yourself
Knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns AND random # (Godzilla LOL) cause all of these interactions to generate an unachievable, uncontrollable and profound NON-LINEAR SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!

My opinion, learn to embrace diversity, and heck get kinky and marry a sweet honey of a race you were entrained to fear.
"a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Emeraldous

That was indeed concisely abstract and I enjoyed reading it, thanks.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Godzilla is best.. besides godzilla also has his own theme song ..

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I don't actually have a clue what your post means. I mean, I read the words, but just couldn't make sense of it.

I mostly just wanted to comment because I've come across "atlas shrugged" things twice in the last two days. Synchronicity is weird. Guess I need to read it already!

Also, I adore Godzilla.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Godzilla romps Ayn Rand any day.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Meth head vs. giant fire-breathing lizard. I'm going with Godzilla.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The latest GOD zilla movie was virtually PRODUCED by the American Military machine.

The movie is a Psy Op designed to trivialize the seriousness of the CURRENT nuclear crisis in Japan.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Very interesting. My question to you is this: what then happens when diversity itself creates a homogenous population? Will we be left with no standouts, no geniuses or great innovators because we are all turkeys among turkeys unable to see our eagle feathers?

Hypothetically speaking at some point, albeit well into the future, generations of intermarriage/breeding between races would essentially create a single homogenous population group no? Do you believe that geographical differences and differences related to upbringing are enough to diversify humanity to the extent that the individual can recognize himself from the crowd?

I am not an Ayn Rand devotee by any means; I am not debating your assertions but enjoy the abstract nature of the topic and interested to hear your thoughts on the above.

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Very interesting. My question to you is this: what then happens when diversity itself creates a homogenous population? Will we be left with no standouts, no geniuses or great innovators because we are all turkeys among turkeys unable to see our eagle feathers?

Thank you for asking an interesting question. Oh, but we are becoming homogenous by aligning with our own kin due to fear, geographical separation and racism. Strangely enough this way of life still has room for random couplings and diversity.
A genius sees past his surroundings but how genius can you be if you only know your own kin, your own culture and your own ideals? On top of that you have an innate aversion to other geniuses who are not of your own kin, your own culture and your own ideals? What you get is something static and abrasive to other kin and that doesn't move the species forward very well. Technology has always stemmed from diversity, fishermen honing their seafaring etc but the genius takes those specializations and stands on their shoulders and generates an incredible amalgam.

Hypothetically speaking at some point, albeit well into the future, generations of intermarriage/breeding between races would essentially create a single homogenous population group no? Do you believe that geographical differences and differences related to upbringing are enough to diversify humanity to the extent that the individual can recognize himself from the crowd?

IDK but I do believe Humans are more complex in genetics, behavior and randomness than let's say air in an atmosphere. If you sample air all around the globe you will not get the same result of composition, there is even different atmosphere in the strata of polar ice. But how since there is osmosis, equilibrium of reactions and the wind has mixed that air since time eternal?? That's because the thorough mixing of air occurs in a open system of non-linearity. ei gas can escape the atmosphere into space, etc

So my point is that you will never reach equilibrium (homogeneity) even if people start interbreeding with a random controlling force such as say love, and that's just one variable. What you do reach from diversity, that knows no bounds, is empathy for other's ideas and that leads to a more centered genius. And a peaceful world

I am not an Ayn Rand devotee by any means; I am not debating your assertions but enjoy the abstract nature of the topic and interested to hear your thoughts on the above.

Ayn Rand just wanted all the geniuses to leave the rest of us and create their own utopia. Which would be really great if you think about it. Who would buy their products? Not the great unwashed masses, they were left to their own devises when atlas shrugged his shoulders.
What would happen is quite comical. They would sooner than later end up working for the sake of recognition among peers or merit and do away with the concept of money and capitalism. I mean wouldn't they? If you are a genius you most likely are in your own world and not concerned about or buying things from other introverts. Not much of an economy could exist in that utopia could it? They would be very specialized and efficient naturally moving that utopia to one ideal, be that all left brain thinking. I'm sorry to say they will fall short some day if something came up in their utopia that required right brain thinking. A null population would exist for that, lol.
Yeah sorry to tell you dead Ayn Rand but you need us all. You need diversity in all aspects to deal with the non linear ways of the human condition.
edit on 11-7-2014 by Emeraldous because: quotes didn't work

edit on 11-7-2014 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

top topics

join