It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman grows a nose on her spine after experimental stem cell treatment goes awry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
A paralyzed American woman in an approved stem cell trial had stem cells from her nose implanted in her spine,

The stem cells were supposed too turn into nerve cells and repair her spine. Instead they started to grow another nose, snot and all.

Eight years ago, olfactory stem cells were taken from the patient’s nose and implanted in her spine. The stem cells were meant to turn into nerve cells that would help repair the woman’s spine, curing her of paralysis. Instead, it seems they decided to do what they were originally meant to do and attempt to build a nose. Over a number of years, the nose-like growth eventually became big enough and nosy enough to cause pain and discomfort to the patient. As reported by New Scientist, “surgeons removed a 3-centimetre-long growth, which was found to be mainly nasal tissue, as well as bits of bone and tiny nerve branches that had not connected with the spinal nerves.” [DOI: 10.3171/2014.5.SPINE13992 - "Autograft-derived spinal cord mass following olfactory mucosal cell transplantation in a spinal cord injury patient"]

It sucks for this lady but seems like a breakthrough for someone who might need a new nose. I do not know anything about stem cells but why not use stem cells from her spine?

If they use stem cells from other parts of the body can they grow them too?

link
edit on 9-7-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo
I had to flag and star this just in order to mark it.
There once was a movie about a future...
God help us, and Woody Allen too. Long story.

edit on 9-7-2014 by derfreebie because: One false move...

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Seems to me that they are going to find out there are many different types of stem cells, they found some matured cells that have already decided what their jobs are. I would think stem cells from a baby (cord cells) or whatever would be a better choice, because they are the ones that are building a body.

Even though this seems like a huge setback, I really think they are on the right path, because they are trying. It sucks that it didn't help her, but they hopefully got a lot of science out of this.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Man, I was hoping to see some pictures of the nose on her spine. Too bad Michael Jackson isn't alive.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
What... no pictures?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Imagine if she were to pass gas before the nose was removed...
No way to get away from that I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Wow. Seems to me its like in the sci-fi movies where a people mutate into whatever was injected...

And to think they went for the home run with a treatment to the spine... Isn't there someone with something more benign that could be treated without further impairment or risk of death to help "calibrate" this technology?

On the other side, one wonders what would have happened if it were eye stem cells that were used. Or from another organ... Yikes... the... possibilities...

But it also showed that organ growth could be possible too. We may have witnessed the "birth" of the era of manufactured organs, for your own benefit, from yourself, at a somewhat low-cost.

I predict olympians will be the first ones to grow additional organs to help them be better... lol

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yikes. I was feeling a little bit let down by the lack of a picture but I found this picture of a guy with a nose growing on his forehead (intentionally):

source

Not grown from stem cells either but if you squint a little and use your imagination...
edit on 2014-7-10 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I really do hope that the poor lady does not suffer from flatulence as this could be quite an unpleasant experience for her?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Now, if they could only grow another pair of boobs on women's backs.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
this is the internet, pics or it didn't happen.

even then, it would probably be photoshop.

sorry, this seems a little off.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
at least now she "nose" what is in her back!!!

Sorry had too...

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
What... no pictures?

Jesus, you're nosy aren't you?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Now, if they could only grow another pair of boobs on women's backs.

You, sir, deserve a Nobel Prize.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThisIsMyRifle
Imagine if she were to pass gas before the nose was removed...
No way to get away from that I'm afraid.

I shouldn't have laughed at this...

new topics

top topics

join