It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy scalp-how to get rid of a dandruff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I've got hypothyreosis and I lost thousand of my hair that 3 years ago where really thick.

Well, but back then and now I've got problems with dandruff- seborrhoea oleosa.

People on forums are usually writing about their experience with different kinds of shampoos. Of course everybody has to test on their own scalp. Sometimes something that is helpful for others don't have to be good for you.

What do you think about baking soda?
Is it the best natural solution for any kind of dandruff? I would like to try it, but I am afraid I will loose more hair because of that. Maybe it makes scalp dry?

What are your experiences and advices?

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Henna (body art quality only) presuming you're ok with reddish hair color.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I am reading from one of my herbal books for possible solutions. It does not mention using baking soda, but I thought you may want to try some of these natural remedies first. Good luck and I hope one or all of them help.

#1 - Apply the pure juice of a lemon to your scalp, massage in and leave it on to dry before shampooing.

#2 - Almond or Olive oil is considered an anti-dandruff treatment - massage into scalp, leave on for 20 minutes, shampoo out. Some people apply the oil and leave it on up to 6 hours wearing a plastic cap.

#3 - Garlic rubbed onto the scalp is said to prevent hair loss and increase blood circulation as it is a strong antiseptic and is a useful anti-seborrhoea treatment. It doesn't say how long to massage into the scalp, but 20 minutes is usually recommended for most skin treatments.

#4 - Apple cider vinegar is also said to clear up dandruff and should be massaged into the scalp 3 or 4 times a week. Wild mint infused in the vinegar was also said 'to get rid of scurf'.

edit on 6-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would try massaging coconut oil into your scalp before shampooing, but don't scrub away the oil from the scalp just shampoo the hair itself. It is also known to encourage hair growth. I have very thin hair and have not tried it for fear it will cause my hair unneccessary weight and make it lay flat. But, I have been using coconut oil on my face as a moisturizer and I am experiencing my eyebrows growing in thicker. Also I no longer have the dry patches on my face that I was dealing with.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I suffer from seborrhoea dermatitis and have had success with Coconut Oil, but the only thing that really works for me is a product made in Australia and is available online...Moogoo eczema and psoarisis cream. moogoo.com.au...

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Lush do a product that is mostly natural ingredients, their products are good for minimal irritation.

Here in the UK, coal tar shampoos are used as a treatment for scalp irregularities, though some are allergic and they can be rather heavy on the irritant chemicals than calming.

A few drops of tea tree, lavender and chamomile oil as a rinse might also be a good idea.

www.lush.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have dreads and can't really even get to my scalp. I massage in some coconut oil about once a week and don't have any dandruff problems.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's quite simple really, dandruff, acne, dry skin, eczema etc etc is just a symptom of something wrong on the inside working it's way out. No amount of external treatment or tonics are going to do anything. Try this for starters, cut caffeine intake and drink only water for 1 week, maybe put a few drops of apple cider vinegar in the water first thing in the morning.

I promise you and anybody else your skin will change over night, for further improvements clean your diet up more, look into a mostly alkaline diet, it basically just comes down to PH level, an acidic body causes dry irritated skin.

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I also have seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. I've found that ketoconazole-based shampoos (designed to tackle fungal infection) make the problem worse; a mild over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoo helps a little; and Daktacort (a combined steroid/antifungal cream) helps with the related skin problems I get behind my ears and sometimes in the folds on my face.

I wouldn't use baking soda or anything else that's harsh. What works best for me is keeping my hair short, washing it regularly, and changing towels and bed linen (especially pillowcases) frequently. Lemon juice and (diluted) tee tree oil are also quite beneficial.

Unfortunately,this is a stubborn condition with no cure, and flare-ups will keep happening. I'm convinced stress is a major factor.

Good luck - be kind to yourself!

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
I am reading from one of my herbal books for possible solutions. It does not mention using baking soda, but I thought you may want to try some of these natural remedies first. Good luck and I hope one or all of them help.

#1 - Apply the pure juice of a lemon to your scalp, massage in and leave it on to dry before shampooing.

#2 - Almond or Olive oil is considered an anti-dandruff treatment - massage into scalp, leave on for 20 minutes, shampoo out. Some people apply the oil and leave it on up to 6 hours wearing a plastic cap.

#3 - Garlic rubbed onto the scalp is said to prevent hair loss and increase blood circulation as it is a strong antiseptic and is a useful anti-seborrhoea treatment. It doesn't say how long to massage into the scalp, but 20 minutes is usually recommended for most skin treatments.

#4 - Apple cider vinegar is also said to clear up dandruff and should be massaged into the scalp 3 or 4 times a week. Wild mint infused in the vinegar was also said 'to get rid of scurf'.

If all else fails, you can use your dandruff in a smashing salad, at least !!!

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Recently I got dandruff for the fist time in my life. It came on hard and fast. I tried coconut oil and vinagar but it wasn't cutting it, what as worked for me is tea tree oil added to organic chemical free shampoo and lemon juice rinse.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

originally posted by: InTheLight

If all else fails, you can use your dandruff in a smashing salad, at least !!!

What's good for you inside, should be good for you outside too.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I have psoriasis of the scalp; it's mild now but it used to be severe - at its worst, I had about a centimetre of dead skin on my scalp.

Nothing really worked till I was prescribed Elocon Lotion (mometasone furoate topical solution, 0.1%).

It cleared up immediately and has never been severe since.

Get your GP to prescribe as it's prescription only.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Further research and/or experimentation may be warranted for the below mentioned antifungals.

Pyrithione zinc kills Malassezia and all other fungi, and is highly effective against the Malassezia species actually found on scalp. Reduction in fungi reduces free fatty acids, thereby reducing scalp flaking and itch.

Significant recent data indicate a causal relationship between Malassezia and dandruff: (1) dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis (D/SD) can be effectively treated with a wide range of material types, from zinc salts, selenium salts, and glycols to highly specific azoles, with the only known commonality being the functional link of their antifungal activity ...

Apparently, any oil containing oleic acid will only further aggravate the condition. So, do not use any nut oils, jojoba, olive, or grape seed oils.

www.nature.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

join