It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holiday special: Pumpkin Soup!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
(please note - I don't measure anything when I cook, but I tried to approximate in writing up the "recipe")

3 cans of chicken broth (uhhh, I think they're like 12-14 oz cans)
1 big can of canned pumpkin
1 medium onion of your choice
heavy cream
nutmeg
dry mustard
salt & pepper
sugar
green onions (garnish - optional, but recommended)

Cut up the onion and cook it over medium heat in some olive oil until it's soft but not brown.
Dump in the chicken broth. Let it come up to heat -- maybe 5-10 min or so.
Scoop in the canned pumpkin. Break out the whisk and whisk it until everything is mixed up and consistent.
Add some dry mustard and nutmeg. I dunno exactly how much of each, but use about 5 shakes of the mustard, and roundabouts 3 times that amount of nutmeg.
Add some salt & pepper. I used white pepper so there weren't big black specks, but use whatever. Add until it starts to taste good.
Get the heavy cream going. Slllooowwwlly pour some in, whisking the entire time. You'll have to pause and taste periodically. You want it to be a nice light-medium orange color and taste --- uhh, good.
You'll need to salt & pepper again, most likely, so do so now.
Add about 1 tablespoon of sugar.
Let simmer for ... oh, 15 minutes or so, whisking periodically. Before serving, give one final taste to see if you need any more salt & pepper.
To serve, ladle into bowls, put a pinch of chopped green onions in a mini-mountain on top, and sprinkle nutmeg around the mini-mountain.
VOILA!
Makes about 6 side-dish sized servings, or 3 big servings, I guess.

The finished product

new topics

join