It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mensa only dating site - a stupid idea for clever people?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

equestrian cupid eh?

I bet Mr. Hands used that one.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18076493]

okay..i'll bite who is mr hands??

edit on 25-6-2014 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
My personal opinion on the subject?

IQ's are like male genitalia sizes.

You can brag about the number, but it's what you do with it that really counts.

This is a snapshot of beez after posting that reply

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
a reply to: Mura44

Your ex sounds like an insecure basket case... constantly reminding people you're a genius comes across as insecure.

More like a manipulative sociopath, which is why he is an EX

IQ and wit are mutually exclusive in my experience and someone who bothers to join MENSA deserves the company they get...But ...whatever gets you through this frequently rough ride is fine.

well said! May they find their niche and enjoy their ride. As I said before, whatever floats your boat is fine - for YOU - and I understand perfectly that people are different and prioritise different values. Good luck to them.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I couldn't care less what someone's IQ is - have no idea what my IQ is, or what my husband's is. I DO love a smart man though, and my husband is definitely that. He can discuss pretty much any subject and impress you with his knowledge. He also happens to be personable, loving, and kind to others, so he's got that going for him as well.

Kaylaluv, are you sneaking around with my current husband????? LOL, good on you - and good for him.

I too have managed to get it right second time around. Isn't it wonderful? There are intelligent and emotionally mature men out there. I didn't mean to imply that IQ and meaningful relationships are mutually exclusive, only that if IQ is your ONLY criteria then I don't believe the relationship can be emotionally fulfilling. Intellectually fulfilling yes, but that is not what truly matters - to me anyhow.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Your current husband !

Is he aware of his precarious standing in your relationship ?

ROFL

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I have a Mensa certificate but you would never tell it by the way i act and anyone who even say's they have a high IQ is a pillock who care's .

If there is a dating site for stupid people i will sign up pronto and save my street credit better to be a good laugh and a bit of a nutter than a boring know it all cold fish wally

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: cody599

Your current husband !

Is he aware of his precarious standing in your relationship ?

ROFL

Cody

Lol, Cody!
Doh!

Okay, you have outed me - I only started this thread to justify being really really stupid! Well, never mind - he doesn't seem to. Tee hee, as it is now obvious that at least my "current" husband didn't marry me for my brain I will leave you to wonder what I've got that those Mensa girls don't .....

edit on 26-6-2014 by Mura44 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It will be same agruements everone has in a higher level.

Girls in a small city night club are snobby, and when yoy go to a $50 club in manhatten, its the same crap but in an elevated scene.

Humans are human no matter what they claim to be.
edit on 6/26/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
I have a Mensa certificate but you would never tell it by the way i act and anyone who even say's they have a high IQ is a pillock who care's .

Thank's for telling us about your Mensa certificate!! I know that I'm impressed!!!!

edit on 26-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5

If there is a dating site for stupid people i will sign up pronto and save my street credit better to be a good laugh and a bit of a nutter than a boring know it all cold fish wally

Pssst, technically you just said that you had a high IQ via stating that you have a Mensa certificate...hee hee.

Thank you for confirming what I always thought of Mensa. I always figured they'd bore me senseless with the sheer immensity of ego. I'm my worst critic and sounds like you are built the same way. I tell you, I don't feel like much of a genius when I stick the milk in the pantry and am baffled why the cereal box won't fit in the fridge. I can spend 5 minutes baffling over that one.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

LMAO

Yeah I know the feeling, I don't exactly feel like a genius when I take Mrs C a cup of tea in the morning, only to realise on my return to the kitchen I made her tea and my coffee in same mug.

Cody

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mura44
American Mensa have joined forces with online dating site Match.com to provide a mensa members only dating site

But a new partnership between American Mensa and online dating giant Match.com offers a new, enticing reason to join the society of geniuses: true love.

American Mensa

I was wondering what ATS members think of this. The reason I ask is that I was once upon a time, for my sins, married to someone with a genius IQ. Thank goodness that is over!

In my experience (and I am not naïve enough to believe this is always the case) my ex, although scoring off the scale academically, was an emotional pumpkin. He was also extremely snobbish about even deigning to talk to anybody he did not consider "worthy". In his eyes, worthy meant having an IQ at the very least equally impressive as his own.

He piled scorn on any of my friends or family he deemed inferior, and simply could not see their value in terms of compassion, kindness, humour, love, family values, morals, sincerity or loyalty. These are all the things I value in another human being, hence our awkward marriage was doomed.

Now, although it is none of my business whether Mensa members find their true love through this site or not, I simply have to chuckle at the stupidity of so-called clever people who, despite being geniuses, cannot understand what is truly meaningful in a relationship.

I am referring to people who plan to use this site as a filter for their next relationship. I a not saying that Mensa members do not have meaningful relationships, but in my opinion, if IQ is the only thing you value in a partner then you are missing out on the whole point of connecting emotionally and meaningfully with another human being.

I think Harvard graduate, Ali Benazir, says it far more eloquently than me

"IQ tends to be pretty one-dimensional. There's no way to say if this person interacts well with others," he said. "For a relationship, it matters more how that person implements that intelligence in the real world, for jobs and parenting and exchanging of ideas."

"You need to remove the barriers to love. And when you exclude those people, as smart people tend to do, that's when you become lonely."

News about Mensa dating site

(Sitting back and waiting to be flamed now...)

Isn't what you said, the proof that these big heads who can't bring themselves to be with those that are dumber ARE more likely to have successful relationships with each other!?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

LOL nice.
I routinely lose my beverages. It's my form of losing my keys and I do it nearly every day. After several minutes of frustrated pondering, 9 out of 10 times I remember that I put it in the bookcase and that 1 out of 10 times, I find it there the next day as I'm putting another drink there (it's my drop off spot to not take it into my children's rooms lol).

The kicker about my cereal jamming story is that I was tested using the John Hopkins battery on spatial ability as a kid and was found to have high spatial ability. I rock at Tetris, loading suitcases, bags and overstuffed trunks. And yet, I couldn't figure out why the cereal box couldn't go in the fridge. That extra little bit about the John Hopkins test part just makes the story even funnier and apropos to the discussion of "intelligence".

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Super. Another place where all the dweebs who give a flip about IQ scores can join up and leave the rest of us alone. I have no problem with that.

Richard Feynman quantum physicist extraordinaire and arguably the greatest American born physicist in history, reportedly had an IQ of 125. He was also very personable and had a great sense of humor.

Suck on that, "Mensa".

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I consider our IQ rating somewhat lacking in taking into consideration other important factors, such as imagination, creativity etc., so if the Mensa folk want to get together and wallow in their limited and questionable IQ ratings, who am I to say 'nay'. I, however, would like to see the statistics on number of marriages that last vs. number of marriages/relationships that fail.

That's why men with imagination and vision like Richard Feynman and Einstein (IQ never measured) could go beyond the purely logical.

edit on 26-6-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

I regularly do the 360 degree dance to where did i put that ,and have got to love the taste of cold coffee from my many misplaced cups , leave the keys on the outside of the door for safe keeping .

It is hard work being intelligent so much to think about in so little time

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join