It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A beezer film review "Lady In The Water" by M. Night Shyamalan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
A sleeper. Made in 2006.

I won't say anything that would consider a spoiler, but I really liked this film.

It was innocent and sad and dark at the same time.

I give it 10 out of 10 carrots.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
In 2006 I found it quite a disappointment. Not a sleeper, but a dud. Ya suppose that maybe in these years since then that I might have matured or drastically changed my appreciation index so that were I to watch it again I might catch what I missed the first time?
edit on 21-6-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
You're right about it being a sleeper. First time I ever heard of it.
Shyamalan took a hit on his reputation IIRC. Something about plagiarism, but I don't recall the details. And then there was that hoax he pulled with Sci-Fi ... aish!!

I liked the deleted scenes from his movie "Unbreakable."
edit on 2162014 by Snarl because: Trailer Link fixed

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
A sleeper. Made in 2006.

I won't say anything that would consider a spoiler, but I really liked this film.

Give out the spoiler. It's only M.Night, the most overrated director in recent memory. You will save someone the price of the rental once you do. M.Night's best work was "The Sixth Sense" and it has been downhill after that. I'm still angry at his other movie "The Village", I thought the ending on that movie was lame. His Hitchcockian cameos have got to stop, it only works for the innovator and it doesn't add anything to the plot.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
In 2006 I found it quite a disappointment. Not a sleeper, but a dud. Ya suppose that maybe in these years since then that I might have matured or drastically changed my appreciation index so that were I to watch it again I might catch what I missed the first time?

At the time I remember walking out of the theater feeling like I got ripped off.

I feel the need to ask the same question, did I miss something?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Beezer watches movie entertainment?!

I thought Mr B was all business.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I think M. Night Shyamalan stumbled across a plot structure and has been whipping that puppy since then. It is time for him to try something new.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The wife and I both really enjoy this movie (present-tense because we throw the DVD in every once in a while to watch it again).

There are just so many elements that speak to our own perspectives and the movie captures so perfectly the delicate nature of something special, recognizing it, and protecting it, no matter how inconvenient or confusing that thing may be.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
YES...!!

I LOVE THIS FILM !! I give it 5/5 stars for sure!! LOVE M.Night !!

I saw it as the way we really are today as human beings...! Have to watch it again
Us human beings are so splinterd our wiring is SO messed up ...personally .. maybe we need something like this to bring us to the realization that we are all connected and have gifts we can use ..for the good no matter what's in our background is.

A sleeper. Made in 2006.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orthus
I think M. Night Shyamalan stumbled across a plot structure and has been whipping that puppy since then. It is time for him to try something new.

Yeah. I seemed to me that M Night, had a couple of brilliant movies there in the beginnnng but then they began to become rote as you suggest. This movie had wonderful trailers which gave me hope that he could sparkle in this one again, but alas as I said, it just flopped for me.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The Lady in the Water is not my favorite but I think M. Night Shyamalan has been a bit maligned by critics in recent years. I'd rate his films:

8.2/10 The Sixth Sense
7.1/10 Signs
6.4/10 The Village
6.2/10 Ubreakable
5.8/10 Devil (which he wrote and produced but didn't direct)
5.5/10 The Happening
5.5/10 The Last Air Bender
5.3/10 Lady in the Water
5.0/10 After Earth

I haven't seen his first film, Praying in Anger.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
The Lady in the Water is not my favorite but I think M. Night Shyamalan has been a bit maligned by critics in recent years. I'd rate his films:

8.2/10 The Sixth Sense
7.1/10 Signs
6.4/10 The Village
6.2/10 Ubreakable
5.8/10 Devil (which he wrote and produced but didn't direct)
5.5/10 The Happening
5.5/10 The Last Air Bender
5.3/10 Lady in the Water
5.0/10 After Earth

I haven't seen his first film, Praying in Anger.

Signs was terrible..well, it was actually excellent until the last like whatever, 20 minutes...then..it was nothing but ridiculous plot holes and illogical nonsense
Aliens: Hey lets go land on that planet made of 90# acid, that rains down acid, and mess with the people made of acid...because...aliens...why not.
..yeah...bad..really bad.
The village had..potential...but was ultimately boring and fell very short..again, the ending was illogical and such.
Unbreakable had potential...actually, all of his stuff has potential conceptually speaking, just always seem to fall short, long winded and not really thought out well, etc...

Signs was, I suspect, an accidental wild success..that was a really awesome flick...after that...it was acceptable Tuesday night watching at best.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The guy with one huge arm cracked me up. Without being too explicit about my first thoughts, I'll just say that he needed to learn how to switch hit.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You actually liked it????? Really????????? Oh, wow......we have some different tastes! i had skipped this one in the theaters, as a result of my utter disgust concerning another of his movies, The Village. I won't comment on that one save to say the advertising staff for it should be drawn and quartered for gross misrepresentation. Anyway, after that one, I wrote off seeing anything of his on the big screen. Ever. Loved Signs, thought The Sixth Sense was obvious, thought Unbreakable was ridiculous and too vague, and then came The Village.

Well, anyway, that rant aside, I saw this one only at the urging of a family member, to whom I owe a big smack upside the head for the recommendation. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't what we got, at all. I found the whole thing rather dull, and lame, personally. Different tastes, I suppose, as this other person said she enjoyed it. She was right with me on the other one, for the record.

Innocent, I can see. Dark? Maybe a little, but more like a child's fairy tale book than what I wanted in a movie. Then, maybe that was his intent. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it, either.

Other than that, the only one of his I have seen was Devil, and I called that one as soon as the antagonist hit the screen, literally. Way too predictable for me. My oldest son calls him "Shame-a-lot", based on what he's seen. Other than Signs, he doesn't like any he's seen, either. Signs, I have to say, was good in spite of him, and carried by the phenomenal acting of Gibson and Phoenix, and the good acting from the kid stars. Because of their performances, I can overlook the glaring plot issue. Anyone that's seen it knows what I mean, and I won't spoil it for any that haven't. If curious, and you have seen it, PM me.

Just, please, tell me you didn't like The Village!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

To my apparent shame, yes.

Yes I did.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This should so be in my "movies you liked but everyone else hated" thread

Oh i should totally not say this there, but because its the greatest movie i seen for years and has absolutely zero relevance here, but whatever screw it:

go see "The fault in our stars", its the best "real story" type movie ive seen in ages. Again, completly unrelated to M night twistalot just had to say it for the movie lovers.

sorry beezer for the derail

edit on b1111622 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I've been meaning to post there. Not for these, but for my love of "Ernest" films.

lolz

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I liked that movie too as well as others I've seen by him. I think he also did the move "Signs" which is one of my favorite movies. I actually liked it better than The Sixth Sense, which was a great movie too. Oh an I too liked The Village so I reckon that makes two of us. LOL

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

a reply to: Biigs

I've been meaning to post there. Not for these, but for my love of "Ernest" films.

lolz

Hey Vern.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

To my apparent shame, yes.

Yes I did.

Can you explain what you liked about it? Some of the reason I didn't, to be fair, was because it was not billed as what it was. I was expecting a horror movie, not a psychological story. The thing was billed extensively as being this creepy horror thing, with even LONG specials on television talking about it; the location, all the secrecy, all the scariness, etc. I thought it was a little over the top, for promotion purposes, but could have dealt with that had it been HONEST promotion. Seeing it, after all that, I couldn't help but be angry, and feeling grossly mislead. I even like a lot of psychological movies. With this one, the only moment we enjoyed was laughing quietly in the scene where the girl is running through the woods, from (you know what if you have seen it), and watching this coed freak out completely, actually gasping and panting in fear. Her reaction tot he scene was so ridiculous, we couldn't help ourselves.

So what did you like? Maybe, because of my mindset when I saw it, I missed something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join