It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D-Wave confirmed as the first real quantum computer by new research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This isn't the first real quantum computer as the title of the article suggest but it's the first one sold commercially and the first one at this size. People like Seth Lloyd have been working with quantum computers with less qubits.

This is good news and if confirmed, it will be looked at as a very important first step.

Ever since D-Wave arrived on the scene with a type of quantum computer capable of performing a problem-solving process called annealing, questions have flown thick and fast over whether or not the system really functioned — and, if it did function, whether it was actually performing quantum computing. A new paper by researchers who have spent time with the D-Wave system appears to virtually settle this question — the D-Wave system appears to actually perform quantum annealing. It would therefore be the first real quantum computer.

Up until now, it’s been theorized that D-Wave might be a simulator of a quantum computer based on some less-than-clear benchmark results. This new data seems to disprove that theory. Why? Because it shows evidence of entanglement. Quantum entanglement refers to a state in which two distinct qubits (two units of quantum information) become linked. If you measure the value of one entangled qubit as 0, its partner will also measure 0. Measure a 1 at the first qubit, and the second qubit will also contain a 1, with no evidence of communication between them.

Researchers working with a D-Wave system have now illustrated that D-Wave qubit pairs become entangled, as did an entire set of eight qubits. (The D-Wave uses blocks of eight qubits, as shown below). [DOI: dx.doi.org... - "Entanglement in a Quantum Annealing Processor"]

Assuming the experimental evidence holds up, this fundamentally shifts the burden of proof from “Prove D-Wave is quantum,” to “Prove the D-Wave isn’t quantum.” Evidence of entanglement is the gold standard for whether or not a system is actually performing quantum computing.

www.extremetech.com...

I think there will be one quantum computer that will be massive and people will use devices that's connected to this one computer or network of quantum computers. I think this network will eventually become like Skynet or Viki but it will not be like the movies.

This is if we get there. I agree with Dr. Kaku, these will be some really tough times as we transition from type 0 to a type 1 civilization. We have terrorist making moves in Iraq and Syria, Russia-Ukraine and global warming fanatics. Any of these things could be flash points that start a larger conflict or fanatics who stifle progress because they want everyone living in a tree house.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

This stuff blows my mind - the rate at which technology is moving. Imagine the brains people will need to be on the leading edge of all this stuff.

And for the record, I would not mind living in a tree house.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Depends. We are getting to the point where we don't have enough people that understand what is going on. Smart people don't have many children. The inheritablity of intelligence is not an exact science.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Thanks for making this post . Very interesting stuff to say the least .Say good by to cables and WiFi I hope Now I would imagine that someone will want to hook up some sort of a billing meter on this tech . a reply to: neoholographic

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

You said in closing of the OP:

"I think there will be one quantum computer that will be massive and people will use devices that's connected to this one computer or network of quantum computers. I think this network will eventually become like Skynet or Viki but it will not be like the movies."

I suggest that one, single, quantum computer already exists somewhere in the bowels of the US. But it is not our device, but an alien "gift" we were allowed/forced to utilize. We then pour all possible resources of surveillance into it starting with ever bit of data generated in any form both domestic and what can come from other sources in the world--exactly as what the NSA has been doing under a slightly different pretense. From the "mind" of that computer an accurate determination can be made about the future destiny, if any, mankind will be allowed to have.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Thanks for making this post . Very interesting stuff to say the least .Say good by to cables and WiFi I hope Now I would imagine that someone will want to hook up some sort of a billing meter on this tech . a reply to: neoholographic

and the bill will arrive before the user has even used the device

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I can't believe it!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Agreed.

Imagine 50 years ahead of what's known.

. . . not tasked with our betterment . . . but with things like genocidally reducing the population by force to 200-500 million.

Thankfully . . . the Master Programmer will not let the satanic globalists rule forever.

But there'll be a lot of blood flowing from all their computing and doings.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
It's argued this computer is not utilizing a quantum effect. There are good arguments going both ways.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

This thing is so good, even the arguments have gone quantum.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

This thing is so good, even the arguments have gone quantum.

It is quite impressive in some areas. In others it has zero increase over standard computing.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
The incredibly fast computer that won't work if you look at it?

Wouldn't it be nice to find out if other dimensions exist?

I believe that's what they said it may be doing when it computes....linking with qomputers in other realities....

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
The incredibly fast computer that won't work if you look at it?

That's... not what a quantum computer is.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Depends. We are getting to the point where we don't have enough people that understand what is going on. Smart people don't have many children. The inheritablity of intelligence is not an exact science. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy....

That's... not what a quantum computer is.

Yeah, but pretty funny, hehe....

Amazes me how quick we are to USE a principle we don't even UNDERSTAND in a technology.

Even Einstein was a bit loathe to discuss it "spooky action at a distance" and all that... Oh well, why not?!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Is is is so there.Collapses the probability field.a reply to: GetHyped

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

Indeed, if you understand how it works, it leaves no margin for errors.
This is some sort of computerized crystalball.
Consider an AI running on a quantum computer and this would probably be our fate.

Beware with those things.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

Observation (that is, measuring with scientific instruments) collapses the wave function. In this context, observation is not simply looking at it.

new topics

top topics

join