It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skin Game--- The fifteenth book in the Dresden Files

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I just finished reading this newest book and let me say I've read all of the Dresden File novels.
Jim Butcher has come a long way since he wrote the first book.

In his books you can see and feel as he evolves as an author, each new novel is noticeably better written a more compelling story.
this last book the "Skin Game" is a real page turner his best work yet. I even had one of those sad feeling's when I got to the end, not wanting it to be over!

Anyway I highly recommend it...
below I'll post a spoiler ---fair warning

Mab has just traded Harry’s skills to pay off one of her debts. And now he must help a group of supernatural villains—led by one of Harry’s most dreaded and despised enemies, Nicodemus Archleone—to break into the highest-security vault in town so that they can then access the highest-security vault in the Nevernever.

It’s a smash-and-grab job to recover the literal Holy Grail from the vaults of the greatest treasure hoard in the supernatural world—which belongs to the one and only Hades, Lord of the freaking Underworld and generally unpleasant character. Worse, Dresden suspects that there is another game afoot that no one is talking about. And he’s dead certain that Nicodemus has no intention of allowing any of his crew to survive the experience. Especially Harry.

edit on 11-6-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Honestly I was kinda disappointed in skin game. Bought it release date and am a big Dresden fan. I've read prob 100 series and it's in my top 5 . Right behind game of thrones, kingkiller series by Patrick rothfuss.
But I honestly think he's making the classic fantasy series mistake.

He's stopped making the story about the characters and started just havering Dresden fight a bigger and bigger monster every book.

First book the hero fights a kobold, second a goblin, then an Orc. Sooner or later you run into having to fight gods and the story is lost.

Butcher did a stint putting out books every 6 months a couple years ago. I think he might have burned out a little. I just didn't buy some of the mechanics of it all.

One of my favorite butcher things is how he made his world believable.... At least in the world it's set in. I just didn't think this tale, or the last one really, were as well woven.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

I admit I was disappointed when Butcher dropped the whole PI Wizard for hire thing...
Now I may be wrong but in this book I got the feeling he was going to get back to that.

I mean Dresden acknowledged his kid and without giving away details has also taken interest in a lady friend who we always wondered when they would just do the dirty deed! Family tends to make a wizard settle down ya know.

Given the ending I want to say he set things up to go back the way they were. kind of

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Molly is still with the carpenters , so not really a family set up. About the same amount of progress with murph there always is.... I the twists, I just thought were less believable. The truth behind the parasite I fouls just silly.....

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I enjoyed the book, he has always planed to do 20 Dresden novels, they started him as the PI, and the books have evolved as he has become more powerful, and has more duties. So i am not too disappointed in the PI thing.

I am sure that everything that happens from here on to novel 20 will be about him trying to defeat the Outsiders.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I just finished reading this book I really enjoyed reading to whole series.

new topics

top topics

join