It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1975: Senator Frank Church's warning about the Intelligence Establishment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

This was 40 years ago. Nobody heeded his warning, or those who did were dismissed as conspiracy theorists.

In 1975, Senator Frank Church appeared on Meet the Press and raised serious concerns about the capabilities of the United States intelligence community. As the chairman of the Church Committee, which was a senate probe into government intelligence activities, he notes the dual importance of gathering data on potential enemies of the nation while respecting the privacy of American citizens. Though almost forty years have passed, the recent controversy surrounding Edward Snowden makes these remarks as relevant as ever.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Ok, I have to get this off my chest.

Yes, many people heeded many warnings, including presidents.
But guess what, nothing happens.
Nothing is going to happen today either, nor tomorrow.
Why?, because this is the cycle.
The cycle will continue on and when the people feel their rearends boiling, and only then, will something change because enough people will wake up and realize they finally have something to die for.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Even with the Snowden thing, the vast majority will still dismiss this kind of warning as "conspiracy theory". Too much for the average American to think about. Dangle a Big Mac and a TV in front of them and they will gladly tune out any such information. Were it leaked that the NSA was secretly watching all citizens through their televisions every night it would still barely make a dent in the public's brain-dead apathy.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Back then to now, 40 years, everyone's been debating about whether the Gov't is listening to all of us (how, how much, who, etc...).

We now have confirmation that the Gov't is and has in fact been listening to all of our communications. All of it. For quite some time. The new debate is about whether it's right or not, or whether we "care" or not.

It's no longer a conspiracy "theory", it's a fact.

The part that concerns me are the conspiracy theories almost no one is discussing: The new technologies that consume all this data and respond to it.

A.I. actively engaging human discussions, shaping them, disrupting dissent, changing opinions. Industrial scale A.I. powered mind control that looks like it's all grass roots human effort.

That's what I'm concerned is going on right now. That's why we aren't discussing it. It's too "fringe".

And that's exactly the way the A.I. wants it to be.

edit on 6/10/2014 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
S & F for relevance.

Post-Watergate Intelligence Investigations

I know, reading is so old-school what with the youtubes today...

But if you really want to jump down the rabbit hole, there is a TON of info on the site I linked to.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Sorry Senator Church we did in fact go over that bridge, the bridge was burned down and fell into the abyss, and we are past the point of no return.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

The cycle will continue on and when the people feel their rearends boiling, and only then, will something change because enough people will wake up and realize they finally have something to die for.

G,day mate. i have read similar to your above before and i have said much the same to people.
BUT. you have put it together very very well and i take my hat off to you bloke
i do have one worrying thought though. the finally having something to die for may prove to be too late for us
well down

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

G,day mate. i have read similar to your above before and i have said much the same to people.
BUT. you have put it together very very well and i take my hat off to you bloke
i do have one worrying thought though. the finally having something to die for may prove to be too late for us
well down

MODS HELP laptop threw a wobbley and double posted please delete one tks pronto
edit on 10-6-2014 by pronto because: attn mods please delete its a double post. tks blokes

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Mr. Church said something to the effect of if a "dictator or tyranny" came to power, but this need not be the case at all for privacy to go out the window. This is because what intelligence agencies are is essentially a government within a government. I mean there is little and sometimes absolutely zero oversight. The American people don't know what these groups are doing? Heck, the rest of the government doesn't either to a large extent. There are still politicians who would side with the people on these issues, believe it or not. Some politicians truly attempt to serve the people. You can't please everybody all the time either, so sometimes when it may seem like a politician is not serving the interest of the people this may not be the case.

Anyway, we need honest people who respect the Constitution to oversee any and all things intelligence agencies and the military do. They've had their chance to be autonomous and they've shown that they cannot do it without endangering the rights of the populace, thus there needs to be oversight. In a perfect world where these agencies obeyed the law this wouldn't be necessary.

This reminds me of Eisenhower warning the people about the military industrial complex. What we have today is just an extension of that, with the power intelligence agencies have I mean. There are loopholes that basically give them a free pass. National security is the one pandered most often nowadays, but when the person determining what is essential to national security has a vested interest in the case, obviously the system of justification is broken.
edit on 6/10/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I can't wait for the EMP wars. Reminds me of the end of Escape from LA when Snake has just had enough, all he wants is the pleasure of something simple like SMOKING.

top topics

join