It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So a guy standing outside Safeway with a petition for a higher tax on tobacco approaches me

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: keenasbro

In my country they tax the hell out of both fuel and cigarettes, I'm UK btw. Also fuel tax affects more than just 1 group like smokers. It affects, trade, commerce, haulage, living costs etc.. So although I see your point, fuel probably wasn't the best analogy.

I do think something needs to be done to move away from cheap non nutritional food to something that will encourage people to eat healthier. My suggestion would be to test all food sold for nutritional value and set the rating for how nutritious it is.
The lower the nutritional value the higher the tax on those products. You would instantly see the likes of McD's losing business because of high taxes and would make the more nutritious food cheaper. You would see McD's change their ways pretty quickly to get a higher rating and as such making sure more people who buy their product get better nutrition than previously.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Sin Tax:

Citizens allowing their governments to rob them blind by virtue of making them feel all warm and fuzzy inside since 1792.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: keenasbro
You didn't mention raising taxes on petrol, or do you consider petrol use healthy.
Let's tax the # out of petrol and diesel, the smell of both offends me and there fumes are certainly not good for mine or your health, so the next time you feel the need to go shopping or work, walk! there you go, walking is healthy, just don't breathe when your doing it.

a reply to: theMediator

Actually, we should tax de s*** out of corporations for supressing everything that isn't petrol.

I don't know who you think I was when you wrote your post, but I'm pretty sure you got me wrong.

Btw, I don't have a car.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Since cigarettes stimulate insulin production and also stimulate sensors to open to power cells and the brain, maybe if this guy would have smoked he would not be so fat.

I somewhat understand some of the metabolic processes of how tobacco counteracts cravings for food....now is his obesity more of a problem than the increased risk of cancers from the tobacco? I would bet that the obesity is far more of a problem than moderate cigarette use.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join