It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for someone to share writing with for notes, edits, ideas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Dont know if this is the right forum, but I am wondering if anyone on ATS is currently working on a piece of literature that you would be interested in sharing with me, so I can share mine with you, so that we can then share constructive notes and ideas on each others work.

I am trying to write a novella and feel like I desperately need another minds opinion on what I have so far and the general concept of the piece. Most people that enjoy and respect literature and fiction will absolutely hate my writing, so this may be a lost cause, as I like alternative and experimental literature, and am not really writing a traditional cut and dry narrative. But who knows, im at my wits end and compelled to ask if anyone is out there who would be the perfect match for this because why not.
edit on 7-6-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I get my family to read what I write.
My son is my editor when spell check fails me. a reply to: ImaFungi

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

How about a sample so we know just what 'experimental' means.

At the moment I have the idea that spelling goes out the window .

P

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I suggest you just post some of it on ATS and see if people respond. Generally, I can open any book, read a few paragraphs or a page and know if I would like it or not.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

How about a sample so we know just what 'experimental' means.

At the moment I have the idea that spelling goes out the window .

P

Maybe I will post a sample but I doubt it. Experimental mainly in the sense that there is a lot of drifting into thought and flashback and ranting and monologuing without being so clear to the reader what exactly is going on, maybe in an attempt to be poetic, maybe just because thats how I feel like expressing my thoughts. If by spelling you mean grammar, yea maybe some of that is out the window.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
I suggest you just post some of it on ATS and see if people respond. Generally, I can open any book, read a few paragraphs or a page and know if I would like it or not.

I agree with you about reading only a bit of someones work to being able to tell if you 'resonate' with them or not. For some reason I am very not liking posting my stuff in a public place, as I am planning on someday attempting to get this work published, and as much as I hate my ideas I greatly cherish them. I am really just hoping there is one person in the world who is as weird/crazy as me who could help me with this. And potentially if that person, or if there is a person that is a very open minded writer, I would enjoy reading what they are working on and giving my thoughts and ideas in it.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Well, what to do. You want help but you don't want to show what is in your hand. How is anyone, anyone at all, supposed to know if they can help or not if they cannot read the stuff.

I have no idea how you can possibly achieve your goal.

P

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

If you don't like your ideas, perhaps you should rethink them. As for wanting a crazy person to validate your stuff, that sounds like just that, you want validation or a writing collaborative rather than an honest critique, which won't help you if you are aiming for the publishing market.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I think I understand what you're saying, ImaFungi. I would be interested in reading any of your work and giving you my thoughts on it. I'm very open minded about writing styles and I don't care about spelling/grammar so much as content.

I have something that I've been working on that I would be willing to share with you as well. I don't have anyone in my family who I can share it with and I often look for outside sources that would give me honest, unbiased feedback. Being a very private person, it is sometimes hard for me to post something that is truly dear to my heart in the forums.

Besides, if you ever do publish it, I can say that I was the very first one to ever read your work

Anyways, I can do this for you if you wish, just send me a message and we can figure out the rest from there.

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 8-6-2014 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

If you don't like your ideas, perhaps you should rethink them. As for wanting a crazy person to validate your stuff, that sounds like just that, you want validation or a writing collaborative rather than an honest critique, which won't help you if you are aiming for the publishing market.

I said as much as I dont like my ideas I cherish them, meaning I write what I write and think some of it is good and some of it is bad, but all felt necessary for me to write at the time and I need help with a non-me perspective stating how they perceive my works potential. I suppose I meant the term crazy as to be 'not judgmental of content', in the sense that I would be uncomfortable sharing my work with someone who was able to have the thought while reading it "this is too weird, this is too crazy, this is too gross, this is too obscene".

As I think writing and reading is quite subjective I suppose I dont want an honest critique, in the sense that maybe James Joyce wouldnt have wanted an honest critique from the 'twilight' fan clubs biggest fan. What I meant by my writing being alternative and experimental, is not aiming for the broadest audience necessarily, or creating a product that is so easy to consume. There is an existing scene of alt. lit and hopefully that is who I am making my work for.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Well, what to do. You want help but you don't want to show what is in your hand. How is anyone, anyone at all, supposed to know if they can help or not if they cannot read the stuff.

I have no idea how you can possibly achieve your goal.

P

I suppose its not for you then, you would know. If they are a talented writer, thinker and reader, and there is no limit to the subject matter they can be interested in, and would be able to give a writer there help in terms of suggestions, thoughts and potential editing ideas, then that person would know, I think, from what I have said thus far.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'm writing a memoir right now about recovering from depression and the rest of my life, kinda. If you want to read it, I'm open to sharing it on google docs with you, as long as you're not gonna like... steal it and publish it.

posted on Jul, 19 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
the topic title attracted me, then i noticed it was you

i talk to you in the chat all the time (well, often enough) & have noticed you're a unit also

I am really just hoping there is one person in the world who is as weird/crazy as me who could help me with this.

..isn't this what units are for?

a lot of drifting into thought and flashback and ranting and monologuing without being so clear to the reader what exactly is going on

..haven't you ever seen the crap i post here?

atm i'm going over thus spake zarathustra 'coz that's just how i roll (i don't expect to be finished with that anytime soon 'coz that's also how i roll) ..uhh, anyway i'm looking for penpals to share notes with also, hit me up some time
sinter would probably be up for this too?

As for wanting a crazy person to validate your stuff...

yes, yes.. that's all well & good but genius is seeing what all have seen yet thinking what none have thought..
"crazy" people are needed for this kinda beta testing
/offers absolute a coconut biscuit

new topics

top topics

join