It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentor tag

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Why not just let them work out their own salvation with fear and trembling?

It's probably one of the only things that lends any gravitas to the forums.

#em: sink or swim.

edit on 6-6-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I love this idea. I feel like the new kid at school - a VERY BIG school with lots of rules, weirdos to avoid and secret tactics for survival that only the cool kids know. Please can a cool kid adopt me and show me around?

If I saw a more experienced member with a mentor tag and knew that that was an approachable person I'd feel a lot more comfortable on ATS. I have only just reached my 20 post allowance to start my own threads but have not yet ventured into that minefield yet because it would be great to have someone holding my hand.

Mura

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I thought we already did.

Aren't they called moderators?

There's like..70 of us

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
We used to have this "adopt a member" thing that would pair up new members who requested it with members of long standing. I think that's sort of the functionality that's being suggested here. I have no idea whatever happened to that initiative, but i haven't seen it mentioned in awhile.

Not that that necessarily helps, but I'm compelled to regurgitate whatever factoids I recall which are vaguely related to the topics in this forum.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I thought we already did.

Aren't they called moderators?

There's like..70 of us

~Tenth

I know. And you folks are busy.

But I was thinking like a big-brother type of thing.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Big brother..
On a conspiracy site?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I love this idea. I feel like the new kid at school - a VERY BIG school with lots of rules, weirdos to avoid and secret tactics for survival that only the cool kids know. Please can a cool kid adopt me and show me around?

If I saw a more experienced member with a mentor tag and knew that that was an approachable person I'd feel a lot more comfortable on ATS. I have only just reached my 20 post allowance to start my own threads but have not yet ventured into that minefield yet because it would be great to have someone holding my hand.

Mura

Just my opnion

But I personally think that speaks volumes.

Cody

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Big brother..
On a conspiracy site?

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Yeah, looks like this thread is still active.....someone posted today.....Adopt a New Member!

We also have the ATS Freshman Forum

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I think the point that beez is trying to make is that a newbie won't necessarily know about these threads, or even look for them, even if posted by a mod in their intro.

If there were a mentor tag, said newbie could know that help is at hand. Said mentor could guide said newbie to the correct thread, give advice about things, or assist in writing an OP, etc. etc. etc.

I would love to give more back to ATS than just the avatars, and to be honest mentors could help raise the quality of newbie's posts, that might sound rich coming from me, but this is new Cody speaking, as discussed in a u2u or 2

I still think it's a brilliant idea

Cody

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It is an interesting idea, but presently the potential for liability outweighs the benefits. Imagine if one of the mentors provided poor advice and potentially harmed a new member's standing? Who would shoulder the blame, the mentor? The new member? Both?

So interesting concept, but probably not something that's worth the risks.

*THREAD CLOSED*

top topics

<< 1   >>

join