It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Shooter Was an "Injustice Collector" Are you an "Injustice Collector?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Like many of you I'm currently watching the news as they report on the shooting in Seattle. Something said by one of the talking heads caught my attention. He speculated that we'll find out that the shooter was an "Injustice Collector" I hadn't heard the term before so I thought I'd do a little research.

In an article on injustice collecting, Psychology Today defines the term in brief as:

The tendency to itemize every unfair knock we've ever suffered is known as injustice collecting.

Psychology Today - Injustice Collecting

I confess that I'm a little torn on how to approach this, there isn't anything in the article that I can say I disagree with, much of it I would consider good advice, but their is a "tone" to this term that troubles me.

I don't think the injustices need to be strictly personal in nature. By that I mean it doesn't have to be something like "My boss isn't fair, he passed me up for a promotion again" but it could also be something not strictly personal like "The government is taking away yet another one of our rights". Now if you've spent any amount of time on ATS, you're probably thinking about some member or another that might be an injustice collector, perhaps even wondering if you yourself don't qualify.

So first I read the advice in the article and ask myself if I'm guilty as charged, even just a little bit, then I ask myself if I'm guilty of indulging other people in their own "injustice collecting". It strikes me as a "bad" thing to do, I imagine that, far short of the extreme of physically harming others, it's damaging to the people that indulge in it, though I imagine it's a matter of degree/duration and etc. Seems straight forward enough.

But, something about it troubles me, a certain sense that this is a term/concept could be seriously miss-used. I suspect that at some time in the future there will be attempt made to screen people, in some fashion or another, to try to pre-empt acts like the shooting in Seattle, Sandy Hook and so on. I'm not sure I like the idea of "injustice collecting" being used as a marker for the likelihood of someone going off the rails.

So, what are the boundaries; when does a sense of fairness, when does striving for fairness, when does pointing out unfairness become pathological? Do you see qualities of an "injustice collector" in yourself, do you see it on others, do you indulge it in others?

Is it fair to use it as a predictor/marker/quality of mass murderers? Could it be used to marginalize people that shouldn't be, perhaps when its convenient?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I actually see what they are saying. I think they are referring to people that overly dwell upon, or inflate the impact of even the most petty of personal injustice. I think the key here is personal injustice, and petty. They will stew and dwell upon every injustice done to them personally, great or small. And weaponize it, or use it as justification for punishing whoever they think has wronged them.

Or, in short, throwing a tantrum. A deadly tantrum.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
As per the definition you've given, I'd say "injustice collector" applies to everyone- the act itself my be subconscious, yet I'm certain we all do it. As to your question when this all becomes pathological, it's when you physically harm others or yourself, or it interrupts your daily activities in a profound way. ICD-10 and DSM-IV recognize it as a component of personality disorders; kind of a PC way to say "victimization."

That said, I understand and agree with your point. It's a subjective concept, surely ripe for abuse/misuse.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There's a difference in being miffed and lacking basic self-regulation. From what I have read about the shooter, he had absolutely no self-regulation.

The universe was out to get him.

His life was controlled by outside forces.

What self-regulation does is it allows one to be angry, hurt, and depressed about things that happen but to work through them.

Someone who has not developed that particular behavioral skill instead believes that things are done to them. That everyone is to blame for what has or has not happened. They have no power to control the universe around them.

If a glass falls, they wonder why their mother has not picked it up. Instead of picking it up themselves and figuring out a way to place it to where it doesn't fall again.

In regard of saying "injustice collecting" it just sounds like another catch phrase that I will be getting a headache from because no one will even understand what's being discussed.

So I guess rape survivors under that sort of label are "injustice collectors"...

Puhlees

edit on 5-6-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: imwilliam

Interesting concept. The are injustice's (that person was rude to me) and then there are injustice's (Bank of America fraudulently repossessed my home.) It's a matter of degree I suppose. The first can be ignored the second should not be.

For myself I suppose I am a collector of the latter. Whether I will ever be able to collect restitution is another matter.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Maturity teaches you to roll with the punches and to forgive,not necessarily forget this maybe the mindset of these individuals however, the school of hard knocks is currently not in session and individuals may not be learning how to deal with adversity, add that to todays egocentrism and every slight or misfortune is probably seen as a personal affront to themselves.Eventually these slights reach critical mass and they go off the rails for 'revenge' on the world which is against them....theres something to be said about introducing national service to harden people up.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
I actually see what they are saying. I think they are referring to people that overly dwell upon, or inflate the impact of even the most petty of personal injustice. I think the key here is personal injustice, and petty. They will stew and dwell upon every injustice done to them personally, great or small. And weaponize it, or use it as justification for punishing whoever they think has wronged them.

Or, in short, throwing a tantrum. A deadly tantrum.

I read your post in the other thread about this and just wanted to say that I agree that it is time to really start looking into why all these (men) people are going on rampages.

As far as economically men are far more likely to be less educated and un/underemployed in a politically and ideologically torn state. These sort of situations have historically been associated with violent outbursts and revolutions. Aside from the fisherwomen of the French revolution there always seems to be serious consequences when a large number of young men have too much free time and the perception of too little opportunity.

Just look at Spain or Greece if you want to other examples.

I am concerned what will come down the pipe with what the OP is talking about. Who/what is most likely to bear the brunt of frustration?

-FBB

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Sounds like a tactic an abuser would use to silence a victim that points out a pattern of degrading, harming, or otherwise abusive behavior.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Interesting concept. The are injustice's (that person was rude to me) and then there are injustice's (Bank of America fraudulently repossessed my home.) It's a matter of degree I suppose. The first can be ignored the second should not be.

For myself I suppose I am a collector of the latter. Whether I will ever be able to collect restitution is another matter.

This begs the question. You've made a distinction, but is there one? You SAY Bank of America has "fraudulently repossessed your home," but if we discover upon investigation that you simply thought it was optional whether you made payments and that you simply manipulated BofA to loan you money on a home you felt you deserved without having to pay for, is that "injustice"?

Maybe on your part, but not on BofA's part, so already we have a difference of perception.

I would submit that a "collector of injustices" is actually more or less harmless until he generalizes his injustices and then visits harm onto general examples. The last college shooter was angry that females didn't pay attention to him, so he killed random people. In this Seattle case, apparently, the shooter chose random victims that had personally done him no harm.

I see no good reason to question using the "collector of injustices" term for situations like this. It's an apt fit. That it does not fit for some situations you can conjure up as speculation is not sufficient reason to not use it.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
this guy is an "injustice collector"

edit on 5-6-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Cowards. Crying they can't suck on thier momma's tit no more.
edit on 5-6-2014 by beautyofperil because: stupid advanced technology

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You SAY Bank of America has "fraudulently repossessed your home," but if we discover upon investigation that you simply thought it was optional whether you made payments and that you simply manipulated BofA to loan you money on a home you felt you deserved without having to pay for, is that "injustice"?

I was simply using the BoA as an example of what I call evil injustice. There are many others and in my opinion they deserve a response from the aggrieved parties. In that case it was monetary but sometimes money does not resolve issues. Or do you not believe BoA is a predatory establishment? If not, we disagree. FWIW I have had no dealings with BoA, as I said it was an example.

Bank of America in record settlement over 'robocall' complaints

As far as the nutbag virgin shooter from California, well he was just a crazy on too much Xanax so it doesn't really apply to this IMO.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: beautyofperil

Cowards. Crying they can't suck on thier momma's tit no more.

Basically, yes. I once knew a guy like this. He was actually outraged that his article was rejected by the school newspaper in favor of a Jewish kid's, and later used it to fuel his racism and anti-semetic beliefs. He'd turn the time he was shoved in line as the basis for PTSD.

It sounds like it might also be common in narcissistic personalities, as narcs tend to have super sized sense of entitlement.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Skadi,

I think they are referring to people that overly dwell upon, or inflate the impact of even the most petty of personal injustice. I think the key here is personal injustice, and petty. They will stew and dwell upon every injustice done to them personally, great or small. And weaponize it, or use it as justification for punishing whoever they think has wronged them. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can see that happening to someone, however I'm not sure that the "injustice" needs to be either strictly personal or petty to qualify one as an "injustice collector"

FatherStacks,

I'd say "injustice collector" applies to everyone- the act itself my be subconscious, yet I'm certain we all do it. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's part of my concern, that its something that's so prevalent that it could apply to almost anyone. The qualifications that you've noted, "physical harm to others or yourself" or if "it interrupts your daily activities in a profound way" seem sensible to me.

OrphanApology,

So I guess rape survivors under that sort of label are "injustice collectors"... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

See, that's part of what troubles me about it, it could be used as means to minimize someone's suffering, even to stigmatize them. Could also be used to minimize the "wrong" that some do, "The important thing isn't what I did to you, but that you get over it"

Basssago,

The are injustice's (that person was rude to me) and then there are injustice's (Bank of America fraudulently repossessed my home.) It's a matter of degree I suppose. The first can be ignored the second should not be. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not sure that a distinction is always being made between "minor" & "major" offenses in the use of the term. That's part of what seems "off" to me.

Khnum,

Maturity teaches you to roll with the punches and to forgive,not necessarily forget this maybe the mindset of these individuals however, the school of hard knocks is currently not in session and individuals may not be learning how to deal with adversity, add that to todays egocentrism and every slight or misfortune is probably seen as a personal affront to themselves - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think there's some truth in that in some situations.

FriedBabelBroccoli,

I am concerned what will come down the pipe with what the OP is talking about. Who/what is most likely to bear the brunt of frustration? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm not completely sure I understand what you mean/who you mean by "Who/what is most likely to bear the brunt of frustration"

AnIntellectualRedneck,

Sounds like a tactic an abuser would use to silence a victim that points out a pattern of degrading, harming, or otherwise abusive behavior. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sounds like you and OrphanApology see the same potential miss-use. I think it's a valid concern.

Schuyler,

I see no good reason to question using the "collector of injustices" term for situations like this. It's an apt fit. That it does not fit for some situations you can conjure up as speculation is not sufficient reason to not use it. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It does seem to fit, but how productive is the use of the term in situations like this? I think my concern is that "injustice collector" could be applied to large a percentage of the population, in some fashion or the other and that it could be used to marginalize people that shouldn't be, sort of like Mcdonald's Triad of Sociopathy.

Triad of Evil - Psychology Today

HopenotFear,

this guy is an "injustice collector"

lol . . . I think that's a safe bet.

I appreciate all of your responses.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

An injustice collector appears to be like my neighbor, everything is someone elses fault, always pissed about something, and is never happy. I have always used the term misery marbles, these people are miserable and everywhere they go they try to give away their misery marbles so they will be less miserable. When I come upon them I don't take those marbles I remain happy and move on as quickly as possible.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

I was simply using the BoA as an example of what I call evil injustice. There are many others and in my opinion they deserve a response from the aggrieved parties - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's another concern, that a term like "injustice collector" could be used as a club to beat down people with legitimate grievances that should be addressed. "Don't want to complain too much about getting shafted by those bankers . . . they'll start insinuating I'm about to go off on a shooting spree".

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Actually, I think it does. I have been looking it up online, and it does indeed look like it is part of many narcissists behavior issues. Basically, it's part of the entitlement/ego trip. A sense of entitlement to everything, and a belief that denying this is a violation of their rights.

Nothing I've seen on injustice collecting refers to things like social injustices, or people seeking to avenge some form of grave wrong doing. Hell, they are Narcissists. They probably don't care about real injustices.

So I do not see this as having anything to do with a person's political, religious, social, or other beliefs.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The societal stressors catalysing the Injustice Collecting syndrome we see are commonly referred to as TPTB.

This IS a relatively new thing we are seeiing,and we need to define causality accurately from the beginning.

The Injustices are REAL AND TANGIBLE,it is NOT these peoples imaginations that their personal spaces and lives have been intentionally and repeatedly interfered with in unjust manners ,repeatedly.

When you are being screwed around every time you turn around and it isnt you dereliction or poor attitude or intentions causing it but others ,corporations,businesses,everyone seems to cheat at everyhing they can get away with it can get to be to much of an unnatural dynamic and people can get sick.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hey Skadi,

Yeah, I've been doing some reading too and I'm less sure now than I was a the start. I'm seeing a lot of what you're seeing too, particularly among professionals, psychologist and such. Sometimes that sense that something just isn't right is correct . . . and sometimes it's just indigestion.

I think it was the way that talking head on the news dropped the term, so soon, seemed like a new catch phrase that was too easily dropped and might have wider implications. One of the things that came into my mind was Mcdonald's Triad and how its been used/miss-used.

I think I'll try and set up a Google Alert for the term and try and see how it develops.

Thanks Skadi

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

edit on 5-6-2014 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join