It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck airs ‘rape’ comedy skit to mock sexual assaults in response to Calif. shootings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Glenn Beck’s The Blaze network recently created a comedy skit to illustrate a theory that women are not raped as often as studies have shown.

Just days after California shooter Elliot Rodger used his hatred of women as an excuse to kill six people, Glenn Beck presented a pre-recorded segment where co-host Stu Burguiere tries to prove that one and five women have not been victims of sexual assault.

The segment had been originally broadcast on May 21, but Beck re-aired it as a response to people who were saying America had a problem with violence against women in light of the California shooting spree.

www.youtube.com...

Beck is a genius. What a fantastic way to get more women to adopt the conservative model of thinking.

edit on 29-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
look... hes mocking the survey. It was an online survey, with few participants and with stupid questions leading to very faulty inaccurate results. Thats not how surveys are done when you really want to take a subject seriously... if the responsible entity wanted to take this subject seriously at it deserves they wouldnt have done it that way - so GB has the right to mock the survey as the real problem here is, the "responsible people" mocked the real subject by doing such a ridiculous survey.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
That is a very annoying skit, but it does make a few valid points. I want to slap that guy wearing the wig and acting like a bimbo. His portrayal of a woman is just rude. They couldn't find an actual female for the skit? What if a woman has sex with me when I'm intoxicated? Have I been raped? If so, I really didn't mind at all. I'll probably get raped this weekend.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

GB is total brain corroding rubbish. Pull up a seat and hear how someone else is responsible for societies ills. That's what you wanted to hear right?

Men, women should be discounted as human beings. Not only do they deserve it, they relish it. See, even women are saying it.

That's what you wanted to hear right? Getting to the root of the problem might turn over your whole world view. ouch.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I just want to point out that the question about being drunk or high also included this phrase and unable to consent.

The question was: "When you were drunk, high, drugged, or passed out and unable to consent, how many people ever had sex with you?"

Source
Also, they didn't classify telling lies, etc as rape.

The survey did ask people if they had sex because a person was "doing things like telling you lies, making promises about the future they knew were untrue, threatening to end your relationship, or threatening to spread rumors about you." But the study didn't classify this as rape or attempted rape—it put it in the entirely separate category of “sexual coercion.” Here's the chart from the study itself:

See the link for the chart.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
look... hes mocking the survey. It was an online survey, with few participants and with stupid questions leading to very faulty inaccurate results. Thats not how surveys are done when you really want to take a subject seriously... if the responsible entity wanted to take this subject seriously at it deserves they wouldnt have done it that way - so GB has the right to mock the survey as the real problem here is, the "responsible people" mocked the real subject by doing such a ridiculous survey.

If you have ever taken a psychology or clinical statistics class you would know that survey questions are asked a certain way for a reason. I really don't have the time to go into it, but it is common place, NOT unusual.

And furthermore, have you seen all the questions?

It is great to read that you have adopted Glenn Beck's specific way of looking at this point for point, but how do you know Beck has not manipulated you? because it is on TV?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure what GBs intentions were, all I will say is that it was in poor taste and does nobody any favours. Terrible way to discuss a serious issue.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

Is that what he's doing? Seems to me that they're attacking two studies to downplay the prevalence of sexual assault to score political points against the President. That alone makes Beck & Co douche bags.

The Campus Sexual Assault Study

The first and most inclusive set of measures we present are the number and percentage of undergraduate
women who reported being a victim of attempted or completed sexual assault of any type
before entering college (1) (n = 819, 15.9%) and since entering college (6) (n = 1,073, 19.0%).

This study only deals with two types of sexual assault, those who were assaulted by force or while incapacitated. The actual tweet from the White House that this was skit was in response to stated "1 in 5 women is sexually assaulted while in college."

The CDC's 2010 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, which does not pertain strictly to college students, is what was actually being mocked but here again, the portrayal of that study is also completely disingenuous.

The study's definition of rape is:

Rape is defined as any completed or attempted unwanted vaginal (for women), oral, or anal
penetration through the use of physical force (such as being pinned or held down, or by the
use of violence) or threats to physically harm and includes times when the victim was drunk,
high, drugged, or passed out and unable to consent. Rape is separated into three types,
completed forced penetration, attempted forced penetration, and completed alcohol or drug
facilitated penetration.
- Among women, rape includes vaginal, oral, or anal penetration by a male using his penis. It
also includes vaginal or anal penetration by a male or female using their fingers or an object.
- Among men, rape includes oral or anal penetration by a male using his penis. It also
includes anal penetration by a male or female using their fingers or an object.

What The Blaze network's skit is paying disproportionate attention to is this:

• Sexual coercion is defined as unwanted sexual penetration that occurs after a person is
pressured in a nonphysical way. In NISVS, sexual coercion refers to unwanted vaginal, oral,
or anal sex after being pressured in ways that included being worn down by someone who
repeatedly asked for sex or showed they were unhappy; feeling pressured by being lied to,
being told promises that were untrue, having someone threaten to end a relationship or
spread rumors; and sexual pressure due to someone using their influence or authority.

These incidents of coercion are NOT counted in the 18.3% of RAPE victims but don't take my word for it, read here.

This skit is complete BS — it completely misrepresents both the methodologies and conclusions of these studies. Glenn Beck and The Blaze will apparently go to ANY length to politicize ANY issue.
edit on 2014-5-29 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni

Sorry my sarcasm went over your head! The point I'm addressing has little to do with the survey but Becks response in such a dumbass manner. Do you actually think he is doing the Conservative cause any good. How do you think women in general are going to see his mocking of rape; a very serious topic. He wasn't just mocking the survey; he was mocking women and their response to the potential of being raped.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Golly.. I know! Lets have a skit about Jews and Germans for love in the 1940's! Or..How about a real cool one for racial tolerance by lynching and fire hoses? Why..it's all just to communicate a message....right?

What the hell happened to Beck and his crew? He has no honor, and yes..he once DID, IMO..and he's got no common sense left, either.

He's BECOME what he set out to resist 8-9 years ago....and it's consumed him a long with any judgement.

Two words that should NEVER be seen together? "Rape" and "Skit". I watched it, and I'm sick with it. They just don't work, IMO and there are other ways to go about that very ugly and very painful topic for so many.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I completed the Army's annual requirement for online SHARP training just yesterday. I must admit it was a Real brainwashing job. That training, sponsored by our government ... not any more rational than Beck's 'skit'. Putting the two of them almost side-by-side is quite a mind #.

Notable was the fact this training is available only through ALMS, which requires a Common Access Card to get to. Feels like they're 'hiding it' from the public so it can't be directly criticized. The main antagonist was a Soldier named Pinkle. The 'authorities' never take him out, leaving you to believe the Army is full of predators in uniform.

join