It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Total Biscuit's - Atheism does not make you clever

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
In argument the function of the virtual/strange quark as to the efficacy of the atom is only 1%.

Without it there would be no atom.

Butterfly Effect as in Chaos theory as in Order in what appears to the Common Senses as Random.

I am well prepared to elaborate.

Any thoughts?

edit on 31-5-2014 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Then maybe you are not as smart as you would think. Smart people have a tendency to question everything and not letting fantasy get in the way. Even if you are raised by a fundamentalist extreme religious family eventually you will question the lack of proof provided by religion.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Sorry if I missed any.

a reply to: vethumanbeing

Uhmmmmm.
Ok.
1+1= fish
Gotcha.

This is where you excuse yourself right?
Nice example of inductive reasoning though.

Sorry I am being slightly abbraisve but I am excessively tired of strangers trying to tell me what my intentions are.

a reply to: Kashai

I see nothing I disagree with here.
Except that I feel I should point out logic is not some arcane constantly evolving thing.
At least in the sense I am and have been talking about.
Which is this:

1. reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
"experience is a better guide to this than deductive logic"

synonyms:
reasoning, line of reasoning, rationale, argument, argumentation More
"the logic of their argument"

• a particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference.
"Aristotelian logic"
• the systematic use of symbolic and mathematical techniques to determine the forms of valid deductive argument.
plural noun: logics

Which is one of my great arguments with those of my particular label.
They like to claim atheism and by extension atheists are more logical and more rational than theists.
Then proceed to scream illogical and irrational rubbish from the rooftops.
This blatant dishonesty annoys me.
If you're going to claim a higher standard, actually try to live by it.
You know?

a reply to: undo

Well, the persona you perceive and the one I perceive I project are two completely different things.
It's asthetic choice, nothing more, nothing less.
Not that I believe "dark" is necessarily evil.
I think we came upon that particular viewpoint *dark=evil* quite honestly.
After all, evolutionarily speaking, it's better to be dodging the lion that may not be there.
Than to walk into the jaws of the lion that is.
But, as with anything, it's a two edged sword.

Nor that destruction is a thing to be avoided or embraced.
Sometimes destruction can serve good purpose.

Oh fun fact!
The line "Kill your name" over my avatar.
Is from Gladiator.
"You must kill your name. Before he kills you."
Which has more meaning to me than it would to most probably.

a reply to: Toadmund

I am not against the possibility of a god(s)

Could've fooled me sir or ma'am.
Methinks you need to look more closely to what you say.

My advice?
Go to a historian who studies the Middle Ages instead of Dawkins, Hutchins, Harris or any of their ilk.
They have an agenda.
If you cannot see that agenda it is most likely because you've swallowed it.

Anyway.
Go to a historian.
Find out how the term "Dark Ages" is mostly considered to be a misnomer and is mostly in reference to the fall of Rome.

It galls me that it even matters.
Ad Hominem anyone?

Exactly.
Or Papa Smurf.

a reply to: Quadrivium

I think it's a particularly annoying version of "My dog is better than your dog.".
edit on 31-5-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

well that was my question: if you were using the avatar to make a spiritual statement in this thread about spiritual matters, and yet calling yourself an atheist, the only position i could assume you were taking was that of the people who claim they are atheists in public venues, but really aren't. instead they are into some dark esoterica, and by that i mean, they hide the data. it's a secret not meant for the bulk of humanity (read mortals). dark as in hidden, hiding, covering up, concealing, not sharing. and that includes hiding things related to any spiritual powers, even those found in the teachings of various religions. thus the push for atheism
edit on 31-5-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I am irrelevant.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

I am irrelevant.

how's that possible? you are relevant because you are stating your opinion.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Easily.
The opinion offered for debate is what is relevant.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Easily.
The opinion offered for debate is what is relevant.

did it come from nowhere? i mean, if my avatar was of a famous .... oh wait, i'll brb.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

It's a pretty picture.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.
Window dressing.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
eh nevermind. can't find one that would get the point across quite as effectively as the one you chose

well anyway, what was your rationale for the avatar? is that always your avatar on ats? did you have a different one before this thread? just curious about your mindset in the discussion.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Atheism mostly on the internet,not all atheist, has become terribly insulting and bashing and ganging up to slander and smear christians.Then they pretend like they have some kind of superioir intellectual knowledge over top everyone else.

They demand you give them evidence of God when you cannot prove God exist.It is clearly your choice of faith in believeing that the evidence of everything in the universe is proof of God.They pretend like this is not an opinion and they are 100% automattaicly correct about something they cannot even disprove or prove.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Again, irrelevant.
I am not up for debate.
Which is why it's good this particular tangent is at an end.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Jobeycool

Generalization is bad.
Mmmmk?

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
Atheism mostly on the internet,not all atheist, has become terribly insulting and bashing and ganging up to slander and smear christians.Then they pretend like they have some kind of superioir intellectual knowledge over top everyone else.

They demand you give them evidence of God when you cannot prove God exist.It is clearly your choice of faith in believeing that the evidence of everything in the universe is proof of God.They pretend like this is not an opinion and they are 100% automattaicly correct about something they cannot even disprove or prove.

i've found that the more educated atheists are more accepting of the concept of the universe being god, so the evidence would speak for itself. but that's in a more erm, generic sense, and as a result, you will still find one who believes that, still fussing about abrahamic religions. this is because after a cursory reading of the old testament, it's so offensive to modern sensibilities and thoughts about humane treatment of other human beings, that it begs the question quite a bit. many have asked why the old testament is even in the bible, since the two diverge almost entirely from each other in a moral sense. that's actually a good point, but because of the prophetical references, it seems nearly sacrilege to suggest such a thing.

many christian women even avoid reading the old testament because to them, the old testament god sounds almost nothing like jesus. it's like night and day.

edit on 31-5-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Again, irrelevant.
I am not up for debate.
Which is why it's good this particular tangent is at an end.

of course you're up for debate. it's your opinion and that's what comes out of your head. who else's head could it be coming out of? now there's an interesting thought.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

a reply to: rockn82

Nice long argumentum ad hominem you have there sir.

originally posted by: rockn82

Your right, but it wasn't really intended to be. Really the only part that is any sort of attack is the quote below.
a reply to: chr0nautSuddenly John went from a religious genius on a high horse, to a religious idiot...

It was an attempt to show the degradation from who he claimed to be and to who is actually is. I guess I was trying to call an ass, an ass in a round-about way. I included the part about him getting cancer for the sheer irony. Some may say coincidence, some my say god, and some may say karma. Either way he's going to be fine, which is good, but it's just another example of how people who claim to have a crazy high IQ can be, or actually are nothing special.

One of my favorite quotes is this: "Remember, half of the world is dumber than the average guy."

Thanks for pointing it out though. : )

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

No, it's an someone else's opinion that I decided to show here.
The opinion stands independent of the person.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

oh he got a clean bill of health from the doctors or what?
it wasn't cancerous? i kinda poked around to find out what prognosis they gave and if they had tested whether it was malignant or not. they are usually pretty fast on those tests because of the extreme nature.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

No, it's an someone else's opinion that I decided to show here.
The opinion stands independent of the person.

and your opinion is that he makes a good point, that because it can neither be proven or disproved, the argument is pointless, but you made sure to include that you are an atheist. that's your opinion right there, cause far as i know, tb didn't say he was an atheist lol

i'll figure you out here eventually.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It was Argumentum ad Hominem and does nothing but attempt to distract from the argument at hand.
His points are valid, or at least, no one has attempted to challenge it so much as hedge around and it.
By instead talking about him, including his typographical errors, and grammatical errors.

I also find it funny that more than a couple who criticisize him for talking about his claim IQ spend at least a little bit of time doing what they admonish him for doing.

But, in the end.
This thread wasn't created to talk about his person.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join