It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
It's my understanding that one of the teachings of Christianity is God is three forms, the son, the father, and the holy spirit. This is called the trinity. Christians are told to pray to be filled with the holy spirit, and this holy spirit will give them insight into God and how to read the bible, guidance, etc. Most Christians claim to be filled with the holy spirit, after all, its part of their religion. Now, my question is, if all of them are filled with the holy spirit, then why cant they all agree on interpretations of the bible? Why so many demnominations and differences of opinion if they are filled with the same holy spirit guiding them? Is God lying to someone? Or is it just purely a concept which doesnt exist?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
the holy spirit dwells in us as a deposit guaranteing whats to come...we are not then magicly turned into robots.....we have free will ,personalitys and a sin nature...we will not be perfect untell perfection appears

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You'll find that most of the arguments center on non-fundamental arguments. Should women have long hair? Is Pre-trib, Post-trib correct? etc.

Most denominations agree on the basic facts. The facts that are necessary for salvation. God sent us his son Christ to die for our sins, and by believing on him we can have eternal life. It's the same with any other topic.

Let's say that your whole family agrees that Ford is the only brand of car to own. GM stands for General Maintenance. You all agree on this fundamental issue. Now you may still bicker and argue on things like should you trick out your truck with 16 or 17 inch rims? Is an Alpine CD player better than a Bose? What brand of bed-liner is the best? Do you like your truck to be white or black?

Still you all agree that Ford is the best.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninki
the holy spirit dwells in us as a deposit guaranteing whats to come...we are not then magicly turned into robots.....we have free will ,personalitys and a sin nature...we will not be perfect untell perfection appears

Im not expecting anyone to be perfect, im just curious as to why the bible promises something, but doesnt come through in reality. It would certainly unite all christians and resolve many problems such as war etc. So if the holy spirit dwells within christians guiding them to truth, why cant they agree on what exactly truth is? The bible promises this.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
You'll find that most of the arguments center on non-fundamental arguments. Should women have long hair? Is Pre-trib, Post-trib correct? etc.

Most denominations agree on the basic facts. The facts that are necessary for salvation. God sent us his son Christ to die for our sins, and by believing on him we can have eternal life. It's the same with any other topic.

Let's say that your whole family agrees that Ford is the only brand of car to own. GM stands for General Maintenance. You all agree on this fundamental issue. Now you may still bicker and argue on things like should you trick out your truck with 16 or 17 inch rims? Is an Alpine CD player better than a Bose? What brand of bed-liner is the best? Do you like your truck to be white or black?

Still you all agree that Ford is the best.

But, they should all agree on biblical matters if they have the holy spirit guiding them through Gods word to the truth as the bible promises. They dont all agree on what is nessecary for salvation. Is someone wrong? Is the holy spirit lying to some and not to others? Will they go to hell? And I dont like ford.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Alex E

The Holy Spirit is not the factor here. The problems you raise all relate back to Man's interpretation and manipulated representtation of god's presense on earth.
Mention the Father and Son ?? Why only those two! what about Mother and Daughter, this is where religion and the world today is very unbalanced and in a deep phase of distoration.
If we all let spirit alone run our religions we would be a very peacefull place

MJ

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Please rad what i said before ...the spirit is a deposit guaranteeing what is to come...and we Will be perfect when perfection appears..untell then we are all just as nasty and messed up as everyone else,,,but the holy spirit works in us to help us change........in the bible it says not to fight over doctrinal issues of no value...Why not?????? because it is of no value, just like christ said....So what is the big deal...the big picture????its personal relationship with christ that matters...and he said to them "depart from me i never knew you"...so the thing of value is the relationship

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Ninki, not all denominations believe a personal relationship with Christ is nessecary for salvation. Some believe baptism is a must, some dont. Some believe you must speak in tongues to be saved, some dont. Some believe you only have to acknowledge that Jesus died for them, and then they are fine, even if they happen to fall away from Christ later in life. So, what matters to some doesnt matter to others, and no one can agree on what is nessecary for salvation. The holy spirit is promised by God to guide men to accurately interpret the Bible as Gods word. It isnt doing a good job.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Alec,

The Holy Spirit does fill a Christian, but does that prevent a person from sinning. No, because God wants us to have free will. We choose whether to sin or not.

Same thing with the interpretation of the Scriptures. Even the apostle, who was trained by Christ, had different interpretations. Some apostles thought that Gentiles had to conform to Jewish law in order to become Christians, while some said that Gentiles didn't need to conform to Jewish law at all. You would think that the early Christians would get it together, but because they are human, they had a differance of opinion.

My grandparents and I are of different denominations but we still enjoy each others company and the occasional differance of opinion. I still believe that they are Christians, we just believe differently.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Alec i find you everywhere ....i enjoy that
...the holy spirit is doing a great job in your life...he is prompting you to seak him that is why you fight so hard....if there was no force to recon with i bet we could all pack up and go home ....the fact is he nudges your mind...to look ...to ask.. to seak...so i would say screw what all the denominations say find out for yourself ....ask him....

join