It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't post covers often, but here's one!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Just discovered this song by an artist name Sam Smith. The song is called Nirvana.

Check out my cover and don't forget to check out the amazing original too!

Sam Smith - Nirvana // Cover by Alex Famous

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
really? specially from 2:33 onward its a PAIN to any sensible ear...its so fraking bad... really I'm just the guy didnt have an hemorrhoids problem or anything because that would cause a major problem. Quite frankly.

of course thats only my opinion... for all of those that think thats "omg hes feeling the music and it means so much and" yadda yadda yadda bs pseudo intellectual bs... nope... this is really bad. And I dont have to pull my 12 year music school crap to say this is bad ok? This is just bad. Plain and simple... as a type and I'm trying to go easy on the guy to make this post a little bit more friendly it just makes it worse because everytime I hear it, it just sounds worse than before.

Thanks for this bad experience. I will now appreciate a lot more what is really good.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

Well...if your goal was to be downright mean and hurtful to the OP...goal accomplished...

To the OP, I can see you are quite young and still learning. I liked your emotional input, I could tell you were feeling the song.

You have a nice quality to your voice, that I'm sure with time, will mature in it's complexity. You put a lot of yourself into your music. Keep singing all you want...good things come from practice and dedication.

Des

edit on 27-5-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

It's funny how you say.. 'that it's only your opinion' and then go on to smother anyone else's possible opinion contrary to yours.

It's true, it wasn't a perfect cover. There were a few issues with pitch at some minor parts. But as someone with '12 years of music school' you don't seem to have anything musically constructive to say about it.

On another note, I'm glad you listened to it more than once. Apparently, it was so bad, that you wanted to experience it again...and again.

I'm not going to bash on your grammatical errors, English may not be your first language, so I'll leave that one be.

Anyway, you're entitled to feel how you feel about it. Just like I don't like certain types of music that may be pleasing to others, so can you. However, don't go pretending you have anything constructive or meaningful to say when you obviously don't. You didn't like it. Gotcha.

But hell if I'm going to let you insult the vocal control, range, and pitch that I've worked extremely hard for, of which someone with a SENSIBLE ear could easily recognize.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Thank Des,

No need to defend me. I'm pretty sure I have a ton more musical experience than he does, and I know what I sound like and where I have messed up and could have improved.

I am not hurt, more frustrated from the inane commentary that serves no constructive purpose other than to attempt to put down another and make oneself feel 'good.'

Anyway, thanks again Des, but what else would you like to see more of from my singing?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Ptenjakin

With the range and tone of your voice...this is one song I do really like...

It's simple, solo keyboard, emotional. See if you like this type of music.

www.youtube.com...

Des

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

If you didn't like it, you didn't have to post a reply tearing the guy apart. He has some awesome music and an awesome voice and that is my opinion!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Des! I actually did a cover of that. my instrumental cover on youtube is at around 400k views, it's pretty awesome!

Unfortunately, I put out my own cover way too late after that.

soundcloud.com...

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hey Nightstar!

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if he posted a tear down post of my cover if it was anything constructive. But I fail to see how anything he says would help me improve. (I'm pretty sure that was him that posted a comment on my video as well)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Well... but what is this world where one can only say something when its good, when its bad - please shut up - what is this?

Will I be called a tyrant or a mass murderer just because I tell the truth?

And by the way... you can tell by the condescending tone of the other posters like destiny for example...

"I can see you are quite young and still learning"

"You have a nice quality to your voice, that I'm sure with time, will mature in it's complexity"

Am I the only one honest here? Ok maybe I was too brutal... and I'm sorry for that, but yes, I've heard it quite a few times, and you sounded like a cat in heat - what can I say? Is honestly being shunned these days?

I didnt say you have a bad voice or anything but that almost, or pretend to be- falcetto I mean... its god-awful... just stick to what your voice can do and what you feel comfortable with - that make-believe-falcetto is really bad and its whats ruins everything

Now you have a good voice, ok... but you're not in a small country in europe, you're in a country with 300+ million people where good voices are a dime a dozen. Look at American Idol and all those shows like that and be in awe of those people that come up on stage and just leave you "oh wow" wth did I just listened to... now, thing is, what do you have to do to stand out. Because... voice, piano... you have to be really big, and a one man show, and we're talking about Elton John here, and you know when Elton John got big? In the 80s... this "aint" the 80s anymore... you just got to step up your game.

Or........

And thats one of the benefits of being on country of 300+ million people, is rest assure theres always market for you. You dont really have to be big because theres room for everyone with that size of market... you can pretty much be average and get your and your "little" (well in the US nothing is little - you can start you own cult if you're smart enouth ffs) band of followers and live off of them like a vampire living of a small village in butt f* nowhere,.. - if it can feed you, yes, if it can get you higher - no.

But to get you higher you have to step up your game. You have a normal voice, you could do well in a small country in europe but never in the US where theres a lot of talent and people willing to fight for it - and by your comments you just seem too soft also btw.

I really really like destiny but its (I dont know if its a she or a he lol) been too soft on you a too condescending on you and that might lead you on to a false sense of security - like those mothers who say their fat kids are the best when... you know... well anyway... just take my honest opinion for what it is - honest. And dont judge me for anything else.

If anything you should appreciate that really.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

You should've written something like this in the first place. It's more coherent and there's something meaningful.

Like I said, I have nothing against criticism, as long as there may be something constructive in it.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by 'too soft,' so clarify if you will.

It's interesting also that you say my falsetto is bad, considering my previous with experience with executive casting directors in shows such as American Idol and The Voice have proven otherwise (By contract and other factors, I'm not going to elaborate on in an internet forum about). So I am actually incredibly confident in my abilities to succeed in this industry in the future.

That being said, I do appreciate you taking the time to writing something thoughtful as opposed to your first response. You should do it more often, and people won't look you the wrong way.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

well... I didnt elaborate in the first post because I didnt feel it was needed to because you would understand - but then destiny barged in with her / his / it / opinion, messed everything else, and yes, I had to clarify that of course it wasnt a "meant to destroy" anyone post... as he / she / it / whatever thinks I did... I'm not a senseless beast - not for the most part anyway.

Regardless... falcettos have to be AWESOME. Not average, not good, but AWESOME. Very few people can pull a falcetto and if you know and if you like music you know that. And we're talking about good falcetto artists... like what... thom yorke, somkey robinson, jeff buckley, prince, michael jackson and even (well thats my opinion believe it or not - but not compared to those that I just mentioned) justin timberlake... I mean... not everyone can get away with a falcetto. And if you know ANYTHING about music you know that.

Now... if you did do all that well in american idol and the voice ... well... and you didnt really had to promote a yt video on a forum right? Because... lets just pretend I work in digital marketing. I'll just assume you've promoting this same video in every forum you're a member of... and lets pretend for a second again, thats lets say... and average of 2 to 4 forums... apart from "farcebook" and other social media.

Now... if you did do so well in the voice and american idol, what makes you post this on a "conspiracy theory" driven forum?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I'll answer your last question first. It's because I like these forums and I enjoy sharing what I do to the people of this forum.

Now, I never said I went extremely far. But I can say with utmost confidence that I have gone further than 99% of people that have auditioned for all of those shows. Enough to have to have to deal with a stack of papers to sign. Yet, even being in the top 1% percentile of the singing population is not enough to get on these shows as a lot of it is show business with a certain look and story that they need. I have met people that have gone further than me on some shows and for certain other shows, they didn't even get past the first casting round and I have gone way past that.

Anyway, your lists of falsettos I think explains to me where you come from as far as your opinion on falsetto. I think you enjoy a very much lighter falsetto as I am more attracted to a powerful falsetto, though either one is in my repertoire, which also depends on the mood of the song.

As for your premise that I somehow shouldn't have to promote my stuff everywhere even if i did well, that's definitely a false one. Think of all of the winners of those aforementioned shows that have somehow disappeared. Would've probably helped if they had more of their stuff posted all around the internet yeah?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Honestly, after reading the first response I was just going to pass this one up. Lord knows there's quite more than a few naff attempts put up on the net.
BUT
Anyone who is like me and was thinking they'd save themselves a mouse click, it was actually worth it. So hears some feedback. Obviously you are way more advanced than just a beginner, and are well on your way so I'll be quite forward with you. The recording was actually really well done on your voice, the piano recording could perhaps be improved - but even top pro's can have difficulties trying to record a piano faithfully, hence cupboards full of various types of expensive mics.
So, where are you really going wrong? well, lets be honest, that falsetto was very ordinary in comparison to the mid-lower end of your range which is very well executed. Look, plenty of people will be happy with it, but it's not going to knock anyones socks off just yet. That can be worked on though (perhaps try standing while recording if you weren't already).
You showed really good control over the first 2 mins or so, perhaps rushing a little bit so try recording in a darkened area, with soft yellow mood lights, even some flowers can help relax you with they're aroma. The more comfortable you are, the more natural it will sound.

So, Coldplay.... Chris Martin can't really sing all that well, and his falsetto live can be very ordinary. So how are they so big? What he has that you're lacking in some 'grit' in his tone. You have a delicate soft tone to our voice which wont offend anyone (in general) but also, won't catch someones ear because it's just a nice voice that is singing really well.

So what can be done? Hmmmm. I've learn't over the years that my voice is pathetic, lifeless and scares young children, but when I get a sore throat or a cold - I can really improve! Sure, it's painful, but go past that, sing til it hurts, sing your throat raw. Go and kiss strangers to get exotic flu's! Try and smoke a cigar even one day, as horrible as they are, it may give your voice a warmer crackle or smooth but rustic manliness to it.

Your downwards vocal runs though were wonderful, and reminded me of this song by Nizlopi, (in particular the last 10 seconds). His voice is doing what you can do, but it has that 'analog warmth' quality that you get off a record.

But you are heading in a great direction, and I urge you to keep at it and keep another career option open because the music industry is fickle and short lived at best for 99% of us. But you are way too good to be discouraged. Sing your heart out, and if you can get a unique-ish tonal quality in your falsetto, people will forgive that because the rest of your range is really good.

I'm glad I watched it, and hope I was helpful
Here's one more song you may enjoy, I really love how he plays with the timing of the vocals, sometimes well before the beat, then after it. But it's done with that relaxed fluidity and that feeling is passed onto the listener.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Quite a popular song for covers I see..can't say I've ever heard of it until now.

I can see why it's popular as a cover, decent vocal range, can be stripped down to a single instrument if need be.

A decent song for people wanting to show what they can do.

I'd hazard a guess it's also a popular choice for contestants on shows like Idol and the voice?

I wouldn't know as I don't watch them.

I'm all for honest criticism, as there are too many kids out there that have been told by mummy and daddy or whoever, that they're the best at whatever it is they're trying to do, al the while actually completely sucking at it...you know the type.

I think you have a bit of potential, but as others have said, the falsetto is lacking.

But keep it up, you seem to really enjoy doing what you're doing

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Not my cup of tea but I can still see the talent...good luck for the future dude.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
First, as a song writer/musician for 30+ years, my advice is: As long as you're having fun and it's a good way for you to get your emotions out, then don't ever stop.

The songs not really bad. I've heard far worse. As long as you enjoy it, it doesn't really matter. Never take anything to heart, -not even the good praise you get.

And I would like to know what going to music school has to do with anything? Most of the greatest musicians didn't go to music school, so I don't understand how it counts for anything. I know guitarists who went to music school and I am far better player than they are and I'm self-taught.

But keep on keepin' on--as long as you like what you're doing, that's all that matters.

Another question I have is: What makes you different from contestants on American Idol or other shows? Where does the individualism lye?
edit on 27-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Going to music school has nothing to do with it. I think I mentioned something about that because Fratern said something about 12 years of music school and his response didn't have anything musically constructive which was pretty annoying in my book.

As far as making me different from others, that's a very good question fylgje. As a musician, I'm constantly asking myself, what is it that I'm trying to do differently. My original music, I definitely would say has it's own unique style to it. Instrumentally ambient with a blend of electronica and acoustic with a genre mix of funk, RnB, and rock. (This question has been plaguing me quite a bit too until quite recently)

Vocally, it's been a different road. I feel as a vocalist, I am pretty flexible. I've been in situations where it required me to be more of a powerful singer, a raspier type singer, a more soulful singer, and a more softer smoother singer. Because of that, I've had trouble really narrowing the type of singing sound that I REALLY want, because I enjoy it all.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Hey Qumulys,

Thanks for the honest feedback. I definitely was recording sitting down, but I'm not going to put that as an excuse. It's very interesting that you say that you enjoyed my lower/mid range more. I guess a lot of it has been mixed feedback where some people enjoy my upper range a ton more than my lower range and vice versa. I'm keeping a tally but I've come to realize, I'm not going to make everyone happy with the way I sing.

There was definitely a few pitch errors and rushing on my end near the mid point of the song. Something that I need to work on, but I pride myself as a live singer, and while I understand recordings should be be as flawless as possible, I just have this thing where I kind of like to show my mistakes that I make (no pitch correction here!). It helps me improve as a musician, and I feel more humanized as an artist.

As far as the raspiness goes. I used to sing in that manner on purpose. But it's honestly really not good for my voice. If there's a way to reduce the longevity of my singing career, it would be to do stuff like that. Vocal nodes, and what not...

top topics

join