It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S&T: Too much stress can make you old before your time (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Researchers from University of California have found, from studies with 58 women, some of them experiencing high levels of stress, that Stress causes cells to age prematurely, therefore making them more vulnerable to disease. Elissa Epel, the lead researcher, adds that several studies have linked chronic stress and impaired heath.

news.scotsman.com
Telomeres - caps of DNA at the ends of chromosomes - protect and stabilise the chromosome ends, like the tabs on the ends of shoelaces.

Over time, the telomeres shorten and provide less protection, making cells more vulnerable to degenerative age-related diseases.

The researchers found that the telomeres in the immune-system cells of women with the highest perceived psychological stress had undergone the equivalent of about ten years’ additional ageing compared with women with the lowest perceptions of stress.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Dr Lewis said that stress was common among police officers, military officials and commuters. However commuters have less control over their situations compared to the other two, therefore leading to higher stress.

Personally when I am experiencing stress during to studies or friends, I try to name it, by writing it out on a piece of paper and then trying to find an answer. While this isn't the best or by anyways the only way, it has been found to work by psychologists and also by me.

Related News Links:
www.kansascity.com

new topics

join