It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Sink Hole Opens In NYC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I left NY a few months after 9/11.After all these years I still crave NY deli food.Pastrami that melts in your mouth...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
5 plugs for the deli thus far....... the deli apparently is the more interesting part of this whole thing. And I have never even heard of it!

Well, til now anyway... good advertising gimmick. lol...
edit on 23-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Is a collapse caused by a water main break really a sinkhole?

Doesn't seem so....

Remember that the water mains is under extreme pressure in order to get water through to every single tap in the city. The reservoir containing billions of gallons of water is several hundred feet above the city. Then when the water mains does break, it will be more in the way of one pipe segment becoming unwelded to the next one. That creates a narrow circular gap, so the water exits at high pressure in every direction. That cuts away the surrounding ground like a water jet. The ground itself also gets so saturated with the water that it will crumble away into a cavern before reaching ground level.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Is a collapse caused by a water main break really a sinkhole?

Doesn't seem so....

This is the internet. There is no truth in labeling plus many misinformed/factually challenged people. Soon it will be reported that it was caused by mother ship from some odd sounding place. (driving Ms Blossom)

edit on 5/23/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
5 plugs for the deli thus far....... the deli apparently is the more interesting part of this whole thing. And I have never even heard of it!

Well, til now anyway... good advertising gimmick. lol...

Because water main breaks are a dime a dozen. Katz opened a deli in Houston years back. People can fly down there for lunch until the original reopens,

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Actually I like the idea that the deli caused it to get more exposure and patronage!

Yes I know, unlikely, especially when they sound pretty well known anyway.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk
a reply to: roadgravel

Actually I like the idea that the deli caused it to get more exposure and patronage!

Yes I know, unlikely, especially when they sound pretty well known anyway.

Interesting but I suspect they are pretty well known and don't really need the publicity. Could be that someone was tunneling in...

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Ew... why are those people standing there? I mean I get that they are concerned... and that it doesn't happen everyday.. but there could be sewage all over...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I also want to throw up when I see people that don't need to be swimming in Flood waters... ie( they are not rescuing or trying to escape) and they are swimming in flood water... THAT COULD HAVE ANYTHING IN IT... like sewage... or chemicals?????

a reply to: Romuloxreturns

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FeistyFemme
Hopefully the sinkhole doesn't take Katz's down with it because I've been meaning to go there and try their famous pastrami on rye for the longest. Oy vey...

Has anyone else been curious to why there's been so many sinkholes lately or am I the only one?

I wouldn't be too worried about un-natural sinkholes like this. It was created by a water main. That's an entirely different subject surrounding America's aging and failing infrastructure. The natural types are the one's I'd be concerned about as they are usually preceded by fault movement or the subsequent weakening of Karst Formations.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Dats not a sinkhole, its just a ruptured water main. The water washed out the ground around it, leading to a void, into which the road above collapsed. Happens quite frequently, and never normally gets reported, just repaired.

I'm guessing that this only got reported because it was in the center of a major city on a slow news day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join