It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Izitru lets you check whether photos are real or fake, for free

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
This should be a handy little tool for ATS to take advantage of!

Computers have long made it possible to create highly realistic fake images. Now, thanks to Izitru — a new service launched by photo forensics firm Fourandsix — those very same computers can help us automatically detect those fakes. Izitru builds on the pioneering work that imaging guru Hany Farid has done in detecting phony photos. Unlike previous systems, Izitru is completely automated, relying on a set of six tests to help verify uploaded JPEG images.

Izitru (pronounced “is it true”) builds on the JPEG signature analysis first launched in Fourandsix’s FourMatch plug-in for Photoshop. This test uses the fact that nearly every model of digital camera uses slightly different coefficients for doing the encoding and compression of its JPEG images. Photoshop uses a different, but consistent, set. Using its database of camera models and their coefficients — aka signatures — Izitru can verify what camera is most likely to have created the image.

Source

Quite a few - alleged - 'Ghost Sighting' topics came to mind when I first read about this. It could be a very easy way to verify a topics imagery as unaltered.

Here's the link to the site itself!

Izitru

edit on 16/5/14 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Very cool whats available for us to use out there.
Is it able to work off of stills from film or would those signatures be out of it's scope?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Justwatchingyou

Hmm, that's a good question! I would say that it would likely only be suitable for photographs, but I wouldn't be able to give any credible response.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Perhaps we should consider the proper use?

If we don't have the original picture straight of the camera, this site will be of no use.
As soon as a picture has been cropped and re-saved then it is of no use.
We can't use the site retrospect as it were, but only to validate our own pictures that we want to provide for everyones perusal.

And then we have the Terms & Conditions:

You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in the User Content that you upload or transmit. You give Fourandsix and those it works with the right to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, and create derivative works

This license continues even if you stop using our Properties

The facilities of Fourandsix and its business partners are located around the world. As a result, information provided to us by a user may be delivered to, and processed in, a country that mandates a lesser level of data protection than does the user’s home country.

Edit: you have to register to use the site. It isn't a downloadable application only an online service.

I for one will retain my own rights and copyright as well as my personal data.
edit on 16-5-2014 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: HolgerTheDane2

Well that's too bad... but i know ghost had good intentions so thank you anyway ghost.

By the way, I've flagged this thread because it has the potential to be very educational for a lot of people!

A seemingly great idea might be reduced to nothingness (or worse) by a few seemingly minor details...

The internet... it's a trip.

edit on 5/18/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join