It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for Advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I am currently unemployed, living with my parents, have no car, and have almost no money. I'm looking for a fresh start whereby I can start making money and move out of my parents' house. Does anyone have any suggestions giving the circumstances I just mentioned. I'm up for just about anything for a fresh start. As many suggestions as you can think of would be appreciated.
Tim

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: timi0000

Look for a government program that will get you back into school...

Take advantage of the fact that you're at home...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

What skills do you have, Tim? Is there anything you know how to do that others would find valuable enough to pay you for your efforts and that you enjoy doing? If there is nothing, get yourself trained in something that does. It's not rocket science and no one else can make the right decision for you.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Waiting tables is about 500 a week cash as long as your at the steakhouse level. Plus lots of early 2os employees to roommate with.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Apply for post secondary education.

~Tenth

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: timi0000
I am currently unemployed, living with my parents, have no car, and have almost no money. I'm looking for a fresh start whereby I can start making money and move out of my parents' house. Does anyone have any suggestions giving the circumstances I just mentioned. I'm up for just about anything for a fresh start. As many suggestions as you can think of would be appreciated.
Tim

if you are young, grab a backpack and start travelling the world. find small jobs to trade for food in each place. asia and south america are places you can work for cash, and learn about yourself and the world.

if you cant afford to fly, walk, hitch-hike. whatever it takes

or sit still and do something local.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

$500 per wk waiting tables?! Wheres that? Ill quit my job right now then! In Michigan a lot of food servers get a couple bucks ($2-3 PER HOUR) because they do and are expected to get by on tips.

It true they can make out with tips...but nowhere near what you expressed. Tell me where. Ill move.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Military, Peace Corps, Job Corps, College, anywhere that has a summer work program (eg: Forest Service, Alaska fishing, National Parks, etc) North Dakota is handing out jobs, so the rumor goes...

Bottom line is this: you have to go where the jobs are (and step out of your comfort zone) they don't come to you.
edit on 15-5-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

In MO, MS, really every where. Long as your resteraunt is in the $20-25 a plate range or better. The servers make that. But here's the catch. You never ever ever make more then that.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I don't know how old you are, but try the job corps. Free education and training. Job Corps

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

To get a job in a nicer resteraunt it's really easy.

Step 1: apply between 2-4 on a week day. Dressing kackies and a polo shirt.

Step 2: fill out your app there. Feel free to lie they don't check. Say you worked at rest. About that lvl. Fewer resteraunts for longer time.

Step 3: most important part! Ask if the hiring manager has time to talk to you. Don't feel weird asking that, it's normal.

Step 4: look him in the eye and tell him " I eat this # for breakfast." Be a little more PC then that but you get the point.

If they say they'll call you back. Wash rince repeate at the next place. If they set up a second interview, your hired.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What state are you in?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I've made over $500/week waiting tables in North Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Colorado, Florida and Louisiana. Easily. At a good restaraunt you can make 2-3xs that. And whatever isn't on a credit card can be tax free. Time to pack it up and get moving fella.
edit on 15-5-2014 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: yamammasamonkey

I dont need to move, I was expressing myself, thats all. I exceed $500 per week and benefits. (Yes, I feel blessed.)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I am currently unemployed, living with my parents, have no car, and have almost no money. I'm looking for a fresh start whereby I can start making money and move out of my parents' house. Does anyone have any suggestions giving the circumstances I just mentioned. I'm up for just about anything for a fresh start. As many suggestions as you can think of would be appreciated. Tim - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Military. Free food, free housing, free training in usable skills. Heck, probably even get free college out of the deal.

Other than that...pick a trade (electrician, plumber, etc.). Try and get apprenticed to someone in the field, and learn that. These guys bank after a few years, and you're all set. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done this instead of college. I'd be a lot better off now.

If you're a good driver, and don't fall asleep easy, maybe get into truck driving. Another profession where you can make big money.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: timi0000
Tim

1. You can try to sell items online + "bargain hunt"; I've done it on occasion, and made more than I put in at least. In my case, people have thrown out some pretty nice things (living in an apartment complex allows for that, because if you need to move in a hurry, stuff get's left behind).

2. I know someone said backpacking - and I think that you should at least look into it. I have friends that were able to do this fresh out of high school; they paid for a one-way ticket to Europe, China, or even another part of the US, and made a fresh start by walking around. Good luck doing that on a 9-5 shift.

3. If you're going for the education route, try to get into community college, and have your parents co-sign a loan to get you started. Mine did that for me, and I felt bad because I created a lot of debt, but I'm paying it forward now, 2 years later.

4. If you need a car, there are charities out there that will get you one for free, or significantly less than what you would normally have to pay out.

5. Finally (for now), there are plenty of jobs out there that don't require much to get in to. If you're good with fixing something, offer to do it for free for a couple people - it helped me land paid jobs. If you like physical exercise, then you can try for manual labor, such as unloading trucks, cleaning up yards, unplugging toilets (hey, it's a job, and gives you arm strength and a stomach). Helping people move is usually a nice one too, because you sometimes will get free stuff, food, or a connection that might point you to another job. And people always need pet sitters - or someone to watch the place while they are gone.

-fossilera

top topics

join