It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope shuns bulletproof vehicles for Middle East trip, Vatican says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Pope shuns bulletproof vehicles for Middle East trip, Vatican says

(Reuters) - Pope Francis is shunning bulletproof vehicles during his trip to the Middle East this month, insisting that he use a normal car and be allowed to be as close to people as possible, the Vatican said on Thursday.

The Vatican, briefing reporters on the trip, also confirmed that a rabbi and an Islamic leader will accompany Pope Francis on his trip to the Middle East in a gesture of the importance he attaches to inter-religious dialogue.

Francis will visit Jordan, the Palestinian Territories and Israel during the May 24-26 trip, his first as pope to the region.

"The pope wants an open popemobile and a normal car. The local security official took the desire of the pope into consideration," said chief spokesman Father Federico Lombardi.

"I don't think there was too much discussion about that," he said, hinting that local security officials had suggested the use of bulletproof vehicles but were over-ruled.

Now this is interesting, and inspiring. The Pope has refused to use armoured transportation when he goes to the Middle East.
He will be accompanied by two of his friends,
a rabbi, and an imam.

I see a lot of potential with this - considering they are going to Jordan, Israel, and Palestine in two weeks.
GOOD SHOW, Papa!

A symbolic nose-thumbing to the radical extremists in the region, I think this truly and really demonstrates how serious he is about changing things. Oh what I would give to sit in while he visits with his 'friends'.

Do you all think it will have an impact? The Muslims and Jews find it impossible to get along, and well, we all know how Christianity is viewed by both. To have three of them travelling openly will be fabulous. Splendid.

I wonder what speeches they have planned? Will they sit on a 'panel' in front of audiences to discuss things? Or will these friends of his do the 'PR' for their respective religious populations??

I heard this on NPR this morning, but this report is from Reuters.

What do you guys think? I haven't seen ANY indication that Pope Francis is a fraud, so far. Now how he reorganizes the vast wealth of the Vatican to back up his assertion that legitimate wealth redistribution is appropriate remains to be seen. But the lack of apparent fear is quite noble, in my opinion.

edit on 5/15/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
A symbolic nose-thumbing to the radical extremists in the region,

He's doing what Jesus would have done.

Do you all think it will have an impact?

I think this leaves him wide open for an Islamic extremist to nail him. And there will be attempts, even if we don't hear about them. The nutters will try to shoot him. It only takes one. And the region is full of them.

I haven't seen ANY indication that Pope Francis is a fraud, so far.

What he's said that makes me nervous was the 'redistribution of wealth' stuff ....
The spiritual stuff has been awesome though.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I honestly can't imagine someone will NOT take a shot at him. I hope this isn't a 'martyrdom mission', but who knows, really?
He seems perfectly healthy and sane; and is a great ambassador for world peace. Too bad the Dalai Lama isn't ALSO traveling with him!!

THAT would be awesome.

I'm nervous for him, but if he's not (well, of course he wouldn't be), then, well GO FOR IT!!
Going to the most hostile area of the world without protection is quite a statement....
of course, they didn't mention bodyguards or secret service (does the Pope have 'secret service' guys? or is it the Swiss Guards in their anachronistic costumes that follow him around?)

Anyway - kudos to him.

EDIT: I meant I can't imagine someone WON'T try it. Sorry everyone.
edit on 5/15/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

An Imam, A Rabbi and The Pope walk into a souq...

Not sure if I want to hear that punchline.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I honestly can't imagine someone will take a shot at him.

It's happened to a pope before. Muslim extremist Mehmet Ali Ağca shot Pope John Paul II ... I think it was six times. It happened in front of the Vatican. You'd not expect it there.

He seems perfectly healthy and sane; and is a great ambassador for world peace.

Which is why Islamic extremists want to kill him.
THose people don't want peace.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Going to the most hostile area of the world without protection is quite a statement….

I doubt he will be "unprotected".

Men with guns will surround him, helicopters will fly overhead. Security will be at its highest state.

If he was really taking a chance he could walk alone into a crowd and show his faith that way. That will never happen.

Besides the Palestinians aren't angry at the pope are they? They are mad at their captors.

It will be a big damn deal and I say big damn deal.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
That takes serious balls to do as such a high profile person in such a violent area. I have to give him props just for the massive amount of trust he's got for the locals, not many people would dare to go without an armored vehicle/bullet proofing. IMO, it's a huge gamble and he's acutely aware of it. If he can visit in such a vulnerable manner and do so unscathed, then there may in fact be some hope for the ME. Maybe.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
If he was really taking a chance he could walk alone into a crowd and show his faith that way. That will never happen.

Bet it does happen. He does that at the Vatican all the time. He goes into the crowd and the security details are left behind. Bet he does the same thing on his trip.

His going without a bullet proof vest or an armored vehicle really is taking a big chance. There are tons of suicide bombers just waiting for a chance to kill him and then be killed in return.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I honestly can't imagine someone will NOT take a shot at him.
Thats a good point. Some people there actually believe Jesus was a sorcerer and that his mother was a bad person... and they broadcast insults towards Jesus and Mary on their tv channels, among other things. But it isn't an entirely bad place either...most people there honor Jesus and his mother.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The knee-jerk reaction if someone does take a shot will be to immediately turn to blaming "Radical Islamists". So much so that just like in other world-altering events, no evidence will be considered until later. There will simply be immediate backlash and further ratcheting up of already fabricated tensions.

Saying "Those people don't want peace"... I don't think that's right at all. Most, I'd argue, want peace just like any sane, family-protecting (god-fearing?) person does. You'll always run into problems when defining peace, though.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Why am I suddenly thinking of a fatal head shot that he miraculously rises from.
Revelations anyone

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrikeyMagnet
Saying "Those people don't want peace"... I don't think that's right at all. .

I said 'EXTREMISTS' .... I didn't say everyone in that region or even the majority in that region. Extremists don't want peace. Peace would put them out of business.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isolation
Why am I suddenly thinking of a fatal head shot that he miraculously rises from.

Because you've been listening to Steve Quayle or Tom Horn or Jack Chick?
I dunno' why you'd be thinking that. Pope Francis doesn't fit for the Anti-Christ.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sk0rpi0n

I hope he does not become a victim of insane religious fervor...but as FF said, it only takes ONE nutjob.

And they don't care if there are armed bodyguards, helicopters, thousands upon thousands of public admirers/ralliers.
I do find it hard to believe that the heads of state at his destinations won't beef up security, but to be honest, I don't trust that region to be capable of peaceful encounters.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a victim of negative propaganda via the media, but in my opinion, the Middle East is the LAST place I would ever want to go. The birthplace of the Abrahamic contention of the entire world.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

He does that at the Vatican all the time.

"Palestine" is not the Vatican.

He won't be unprotected. I can guarantee you won't see the machine guns around him either.

What faith? He's the head of a church and just a man. Men will protect him.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Isolation

Revelations anyone

Not gonna happen. Even if it's a fatal head shot, he won't 'rise'. And the Apocalyptic thinking is ridiculous, in my opinion.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Don't know who they are (I've heard Steve Quayle's name before but couldn't quote anything by him).
Just been gripped by the Bible and religion in general again recently (been reading it a lot) and this was genuinely the first thing that popped into my mind reading this thread.

I'm interested why you think he wouldn't fit the bill ?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Extremists don't want peace. Peace would put them out of business.

They want their country back. I would call the occupation they have suffered under extreme, wouldn't you?

The Pope has little to do with that. He's not wandering around in Syria or Libya, he's going to Israel. You can be sure they don't want the Popes blood on their hands. Despite anything the Vatican says, the Israelis will be there protecting him.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

..but as FF said, it only takes ONE nutjob.

If there is a mass involved ... and I haven't seen the itinerary so I don't know .. then he'll be on a raised platform in front of a massive number of people ... and without a bullet proof vest. It would be very easy for someone to slip in the crowd and nail him. If he's in an open air car driving through a crowd, none of those people will be checked for guns or explosives. I"m sure the security over there isn't as good as the Vatican security, and even with the great Vatican security people slip through a lot.

There are lots of opportunities for some extremist or a person with mental health issues to get through.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

ETA: Weird how my post came out. its "missing"… trying again:

He does that at the Vatican all the time.

"Palestine" is not the Vatican.

He won't be unprotected. I can guarantee you won't see the machine guns around him either.

What faith? He's the head of a church and just a man. Men will protect him.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join