It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Discuss Killer Robots at U.N. Conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Are we there already? Are we already at the point where we are seriously discussing how to implement killer robots. Are we seriously headed for a Terminator style future? Of course, the technology as it is now is said to be for saving lives on the battlefield but some scientists wonder "how long until we have full automation on the battlefield..." What's the saying? "the road to hell is paved with good intentions....?" That's what I think. While this tech has good intentions to start, I think it will lead to evil. Something still smells rotten in the state of Denmark..

“My biggest concern is that when every nation has this technology, we will start seeing the full automation of warfare,” Sharkey told NBC News. “Some people propose that this technology will save our soldiers’ lives because we will send in machines to do our fighting for us,” he said. “But that only works if the other side does not have machines, because they will send them in to kill our soldiers.”

What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It is a long, long way off.

We simply do not have the batteries or the power supply to even think about this.

It's not like the duacell bunny!

May work as defensive units tied to a base power supply but nor in open warfare.

P

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I want you to look at this post in twenty years.

A long way off isn't as long as you think.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Automated cars are just around the corner. We'll all be able to get drunk and the car will drive you home by itself.
These cars are aware of their surroundings and able to anticipate pedestrians and cyclists etc.

Now to automate a tank would be a lot more technical but it will become a reality in the near future I think. International treaties would need to be drawn up early on to prevent things such as war crimes by robots etc.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Of course it will happen someday.

Even when I look at any piece of miliary hardware or new DARPA robot imagine affixing guns to it and I know I am not the only one.

You ever see the cheetah robot? Now imagine blades on either side of it and a turret on top. Oh wait I think there was an anime with that.

On here is the Vid.

Now that would be scary coming at ya.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It is a long, long way off.

Taking over territory the size of a county ... maybe. A city block ... not so much so.

Capability development is already there. Production and softening up the human psyche for the inevitable in-progress.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Yeah, that's kinda' creepy....

top topics

join