It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas family awarded $3M in fracking lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
www.myfoxdfw.com...

I saw this story on the local news stations today. This happened in Wise County.

Jurors in Dallas on Wednesday ordered an oil and gas production company to pay a Wise County family $3 million after the family sued the company for alleged contamination. It was the first fracking trial in the U.S.

The lawsuit began in 2011 and took up until yesterday for it to finally be settled.

Long story short, back in 2011, the family noticed that nearly 50 gas wells were built quite rapidly in a 2 mile radius around their property. They said that they were never given notice about the huge amount of wells being built in the area.

They say they endured nose bleeds, head-to-toe rashes, nausea and blurred vision.

The family began getting very sick quite rapidly. After doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with them, the doctors advised the family to begin keeping records of what was happening daily.

“I think the most compelling piece of evidence in the case was the contemporaneous record that these folks kept of what was happening to them every day,” said the Parrs’ attorney, Richard Capshaw.

Capshaw says the family settled with several drilling companies for undisclosed amounts, but Aruba Petroleum was the only one to go to a jury trial.

I am quite surprised to see the jury ruled in favor of the family.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

I am quite surprised to see the jury ruled in favor of the family.

Why? These cases almost never make it to trial because corps know they will lose. The reason they settle out of court instead with a very iron clad NDA to make sure no one ever hears about it.

I'm surprised the family made it to court without shady happenings unfolding to prevent them, or force them into settlement (to be honest).

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Good for them. It's enough for them to move and have some cushion left. After the lawyer gets his 1/3 vig, of course.

I am leaning more toward the anti-fracking crowd these days, not because I am anti-big oil (whatever that means), but because of the sh*t-ton of anecdotal evidence which adds up to a conclusion that this activity is not good for peoples' health.

I think they are doing this as fast as they can to reap the huge profits before they get "caught" ruining people's lives.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Im surprised because I would have thought the jurors would "stumble" upon some money if they ruled against the family.

new topics

top topics

join