It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the Deal with Organized Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Hi, I am pretty much an atheist but sometimes I do think that there could be one true creator of our universe. After all, it's just one big ball of energy, constantly evolving into other forms of energy. This energy must have come from somewhere, in theory. When we die our bodies are cremated or buried and that helps plants grow and feeds worms; our energy is transformed into other forms of energy and the cycle goes on forever. Now, if I was going to follow any religion it would be the one that believes in reincarnation (unsure what it's called sorry). However, therein lies the problem with modern day religions.

People who call themselves religious ALWAYS interpret their religion's rules however they see fit. I've met catholics who drink alcohol, fornicate out of wedlock, take drugs and so on. I've met many people who believe in a particular faith and don't give two #s about breaking their religious code of conduct. Then you have muslims who think it's perfectly alright to blow up the world trade centre because they were "infidels". I could be mistaken but I think any god would frown on murder, regardless of whether it's justified in any man's eyes. Then there are religions who have branched off into slightly different versions, such as Christianity with Jahovas etc. who seem to just pick a religion that suits their way of life. If a religion is chosen to suit one's personal lifestyle then what the hell is the point in it?

Then there is the problem with god being omnipotent, which to me suggests he knows everything, including the future. Knowing the future means every man's destiny is set out before he is even born, in which case nothing they do wrong is their fault and therefore shouldn't be punished by any god (sent to hell I suppose is the belief).

Then there is the ritual of going to a church every sunday because apparently singing in a building is what a god wants. The whole concept of organized religion, especially in the modern world, seems to be manufactured and tailored to suit individuals, with little or no regard to its true purpose. As we learn more about the universe and see how minute humanity is in the grand scheme of things it's quite suprising that no religious book has ever mentioned this, considering most of it came from god apparently.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sharted

The questions you raise are pretty tough to answer as a 'whole' you cannot generalize and assume that all religions have some sort of rules that over power the next.
I used to spend quite a bit of time asking the same questions as you, and well, some of them can be answered, some can't, a good example is how can God exist? Well, we don't know, but at the same time, how can he not? Or what evidence is there for an uber all seeing and knowing god?

I must ask you this tho, you say you are an atheist, yet, you say this:

sometimes I do think that there could be one true creator of our universe. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think you are more agnostic than anything, an atheist such as myself is void of any ideas or thoughts that there could be or even a slight chance of recognizing a deity, I see all religions as stories, and traditions, nothing more, and I can't even fathom the idea of an all mighty god.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Then there is the problem with god being omnipotent, which to me suggests he knows everything, including the future.
In the Bible, God knows a certain sort of future which He is confident that He can bring about through His own force of will.
Any other type of divine precognition is extra-biblical fantasizing as far as I am concerned.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

As far as predestination goes, let me ask you this - if you somehow knew what the outcome of next year's Super Bowl was going to be, would that invalidate the need to play the entire NFL season? And should the worst team that year be blamed in advance with pre-emptive restructuring? And if you did that, wouldn't it actually mess up what you knew about the outcome of the season?

As for picking and choosing a religion's rules, I have two things to say: 1.) Be careful about speaking in absolutes. 2.) None of us is perfect, not you, not me. This is why the essential doctrine of Christianity is one of Grace. It does not absolve you of making any effort to live a good life, and there are plenty of Christians who assume that all they need do is sit in Church on Sunday, but if they knew their faith, they'd know how mistaken they truly are.

As far as Church, it's not a bad thing for believers to gather together. It only becomes a bad thing when the inevitable happens and humans find a way to use it to their own ends for power or gain.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Relate your Op to people whom religiously believe in certain political parties and get back to me!

Since the dawn of man people grouped up!

Tribalism never disappeared, it has just taken on many different forms.....

edit on 23-4-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sharted
Hi, I am pretty much an atheist but sometimes I do think that there could be one true creator of our universe. After all, it's just one big ball of energy, constantly evolving into other forms of energy. This energy must have come from somewhere, in theory. When we die our bodies are cremated or buried and that helps plants grow and feeds worms; our energy is transformed into other forms of energy and the cycle goes on forever. Now, if I was going to follow any religion it would be the one that believes in reincarnation (unsure what it's called sorry). However, therein lies the problem with modern day religions.

People who call themselves religious ALWAYS interpret their religion's rules however they see fit. I've met catholics who drink alcohol, fornicate out of wedlock, take drugs and so on. I've met many people who believe in a particular faith and don't give two #s about breaking their religious code of conduct. Then you have muslims who think it's perfectly alright to blow up the world trade centre because they were "infidels". I could be mistaken but I think any god would frown on murder, regardless of whether it's justified in any man's eyes. Then there are religions who have branched off into slightly different versions, such as Christianity with Jahovas etc. who seem to just pick a religion that suits their way of life. If a religion is chosen to suit one's personal lifestyle then what the hell is the point in it?

Then there is the problem with god being omnipotent, which to me suggests he knows everything, including the future. Knowing the future means every man's destiny is set out before he is even born, in which case nothing they do wrong is their fault and therefore shouldn't be punished by any god (sent to hell I suppose is the belief).

Then there is the ritual of going to a church every sunday because apparently singing in a building is what a god wants. The whole concept of organized religion, especially in the modern world, seems to be manufactured and tailored to suit individuals, with little or no regard to its true purpose. As we learn more about the universe and see how minute humanity is in the grand scheme of things it's quite suprising that no religious book has ever mentioned this, considering most of it came from god apparently.

You have made one fundamental mistake, placing Christianity as the only organized religion.

It would be better if you said "Organized Christianity" because every religion out there is organized in some form or fashion. But when you limit it to Christianity, then you don't see how it becomes solely aimed and pointed at Christianity.

These are the definitions of religion :

re·li·gion
riˈlijən/Submit
noun
noun: religion
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More
a particular system of faith and worship.
plural noun: religions
"the world's great religions"
a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
"consumerism is the new religion"

1: Christians believe in a personal God, expressed in His Son Jesus (Yeshua, Yahoshua).

2: Muslims believe in an impersonal God, Allah and not expressed outside the Quran.

3: Jews believe in a close personal God, HaShem (simply means "the Name" which is the same God as Christians, but don't believe in His Son)

4: Wiccans believe in a Goddess

5: Pagans believe in impersonal gods that go by various names

6: Satan worshipers are divided, some believe Satan is just an energy or force or human expression while some believe in an actual entity

7: Hindus have 3 million gods, but also believe in one Supreme Being

8: Shamanism doesn't so much believe in a god, but a spiritual realm to tap into

But according to the very definition of religion, also whatever places supreme importance upon, such as sports, celebrities, television shows, their cars....the list goes on. Atheism can also be a religion in that certain aspect if atheists promote their belief in science and certain scientists as omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

If you feel that Christianity is what you have the issue with, then it is much better if you consider there are many religions out there that are organized so specifically mention Christianity in your titles. We could ask the same thing about every religion. You titled it wrongly if the whole summation is questioning Christianity.

Now for the answers for what you are asking in the post, the drinking of alcohol is viewed differently among Christians. Some people don't live up to what they claim. And some have a more rigid view. I am not Catholic but I am a Christian.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sharted

God is Energy, that is the non-personal manifestation of himself. He is also infinitely more. Though I do not believe in reincarnation, I do believe in an after life. To me reincarnation equals stagnation, I believe if you choose to go on it will be a life of continuing progression.

You are absolutely correct in that humans fashion religion to meets there own needs. If you understand the origin and history of religion you will see that is a natural part of it's evolution. Periodically Revelation is injected but must invariably submit to the religions of evolution. Evolution is a slow, but sure process. If too much new knowledge is received it causes confusion instead of growth.

If revelation is to exalt and up-step the religions of evolution, then must such divine visitations portray teachings which are not too far removed from the thought and reactions of the age in which they are presented. Thus must and does revelation always keep in touch with evolution. Always must the religion of revelation be limited by man’s capacity of receptivity.

When your concept of God has evolved to that of a Universal creator coupled with a Universe that is teeming with intelligent life you will realize that no one religion is right or could be right. Religion must grow and develop over long periods of time. It is also relative to our world. No religion on any world will be complete for God cannot be fully revealed in time and space.

To me religion is personal. I believe even those who profess to be this religion or that religion still have their own personal spin on it. So you don't have to belong to group or church to be religious. Religion is that personal relationship between the individual and God.

Religion, as a human experience, ranges from the primitive fear slavery of the evolving savage up to the sublime and magnificent faith liberty of those civilized mortals who are superbly conscious of sonship with the eternal God.

Religion is the ancestor of the advanced ethics and morals of progressive social evolution. But religion, as such, is not merely a moral movement, albeit the outward and social manifestations of religion are mightily influenced by the ethical and moral momentum of human society. Always is religion the inspiration of man’s evolving nature, but it is not the secret of that evolution.

Religion, the conviction-faith of the personality, can always triumph over the superficially contradictory logic of despair born in the unbelieving material mind. There really is a true and genuine inner voice, that “true light which lights every man who comes into the world.” And this spirit leading is distinct from the ethical prompting of human conscience. The feeling of religious assurance is more than an emotional feeling. The assurance of religion transcends the reason of the mind, even the logic of philosophy. Religion is faith, trust, and assurance.

There is a book that you might be interested in checking out. It's called the Urantia Book. It is not a religion, but can help the individual establish their own relationship with God. (www.urantia.org...)

join