It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Everest Jump Live’ Canceled After Avalanche Tragedy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Wingsuit flier Joby Ogwyn, who planned to jump off the summit of Mt. Everest on a live TV, lost his Sherpa team.
Citing the tragic avalanche Friday that claimed at least 13 lives, Discovery Channel on Sunday canceled “Everest Jump Live,” an historic event in which wingsuit flier Joby Ogwyn was to summit Mount Everest and jump off on live TV.

The deadly avalanche, the single-worst disaster in the iconic mountain’s history, swept through the Khumbu Icefall above Mount Everest base camp as Sherpas were installing fixed ropes in preparation for the climbing season, which was just getting underway.

About 50 climbers, mostly Sherpas at work, were engulfed in a cloud of snow and ice over the area. Originally, 12 Sherpas were reported dead, four were reported missing, and six were reported injured.

‘Everest Jump Live’ Canceled After Avalanche Tragedy

I was reading about Joby Ogwyn, and this amazing jump he planned to make on Yahoo just the other day. I was thinking that was something I didn't want to miss seeing. At the same time of feeling the excitement over this, I got a bad feeling in my gut, and now I turn on the computer to see this article!
It's such a tragedy!
My thoughts and prayers go out to Ogwyn, and the members of the families that lost a love one in the horrible avalanche.

Laurie Goldberg of Discovery Channel sent out a statement via e-mail to GrindTV Outdoor on Sunday, saying that in light of the tragedy, the Everest Jump will be cancelled.

“A cliff of snow, like a house, came directly toward us, and many were killed at the same time,” Kaji Sherpa told The New York Times from a hospital bed in Katmandu, Nepal. “There was nowhere to escape. If there was an open field, we could have dropped the baggage and escaped. But there was snow all around us that could have easily fallen if we stepped on it. So we were helpless.”

edit on 4/21/2014 by sled735 because: Pic link not working

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Im much more saddened by the loss of the sherpas, incidentally, this serac that collapsed is apparently the same one that stalled and eventually cancelled HiMex 2012 season due to the danger of avalanche.
Sad tragedy, but nothing is going to change.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I really appreciate the fact Discovery did this. It shows some class, because they didn't strictly have to.

There was another season and it was a bad one like this. Another film crew was on Everest then..and they chose differently. I still haven't watched the damn IMAX and I never will, either. That different choice is why.

At least some do still put humanity and compassion over lost investment. It's a small thing..or should be..but these days, it seems to have become a big thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I want a refund for my cable bill, i pay too much already

top topics

join