It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Official. GMO is Banned.....in Russia.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurius

GMOs will continue to be sold in Russia unlabeled. The manufacturers will simply not pay royalties to the firms that developed them. Duh.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Yeap, that may happen, but an official ban by a country goes a long way.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurius

Yeap, that may happen, but an official ban by a country goes a long way.

Towards what?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It is an official acknowledgment by an entire nation (not just separate individuals) to the health and environmental risks involved. That accounts for something.
I have no crystal ball, let's see what transpires next. Whatever it is, for all our sake, let's hope the future of food and its production will never be in the hand of the few.

edit on 26-4-2014 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurius
It is an official acknowledgment by an entire nation (not just separate individuals) to the health and environmental risks involved. That accounts for something.
I have no crystal ball, let's see what transpires next. Whatever it is, for all our sake, let's hope the future food and its production will never be in the hand of the few.

In case you haven't noticed, Russia is not a representational republic. The laws passed there are not the will of the people, but the will of the oligarchy. The law was passed to enable the oligarchs to violate international patent laws. In three years, all Russian food will be GMO.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Hmmm....I guess you must think the laws on GMO's in the US (and elsewhere for that matter) are representative of the people's will?

But I do see your point. Let's wait for the next three years, shall we? If GMO's are in all Russian food disregarding the patent law, I don't know what the US oligarchs can do about it....apart from declaring a war, maybe make vodkas to retaliate?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Hmmm....I guess you must think the laws on GMO's in the US (and elsewhere for that matter) are representative of the people's will?

I didn't say that. The difference is that in the US, some states have passed laws requiring foods containing GMOs to be labeled as such. This does reflects the will of the people, however misguided. Now that Big Food has to label their products in some markets, it will be more economical to label their products in all markets. In other words, in the US, all food containing GMOs will be labeled. On the other hand, in Russia, where GMOs will no longer officially exist, no-one will know whether their food really contains GMOs or not.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Really?I think a starving person would be willing to eat almost anything.And,ironically,many Russians remember the empty grocery shelves.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
The difference is that in the US, some states have passed laws requiring foods containing GMOs to be labeled as such. This does reflects the will of the people,....

Another hmmmm.....I don't know where you get your sources from. May I suggest that you avoid them with a ten-foot pole.
There's only one state in the US (Vermont) that is only about to enact the toughest GMO labeling law in the US and that will only come into effect in 2016. Of course, the US GMO oligarchs will continue fighting it before then. We shall see if the people will really have any say. There are already active bills in other 22-23 states (not passed yet).

Meanwhile, there are about 64 other countries already around the globe that require GMO labeling.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

In other words, in the US, all food containing GMOs will be labeled.

Correction. Most food which may contain GM material will be labeled. Whether or not it does.

The "people's will" for mandatory labeling will not make them better informed. Voluntary "non-GM" labeling does.

edit on 4/26/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

There's only one state in the US (Vermont) that is only about to enact the toughest GMO labeling law in the US and that will only come into effect in 2016.
Define "toughest."

(3) in the case of any processed food that contains a product or products of genetic engineering, the manufacturer shall label the package in which the processed food is offered for sale with the words: “partially produced with genetic engineering”; “may be produced with genetic engineering”; or “produced with genetic engineering.”

So,if there is any chance that the product is "contaminated" it will be labeled whether or not it has GM material. This means any corn product, any soy product will say “may be produced with genetic engineering." This doesn't make a consumer any more informed than they are now. An informed consumer already knows that box of corn flakes “may be produced with genetic engineering.” An informed consumer wants to see a label that says "non-GM."

This is interesting. Restaurants are exempt from having to "inform" their customers.
3044.7, Exemptions:

Food that is not packaged for retail sale and that is:
(A) a processed food prepared and intended for immediate human consumption; or
(B) served, sold, or otherwise provided in any restaurant or other food establishment, as defined in 18 V.S.A. § 4301, that is primarily engaged in the sale of food prepared and intended for immediate human consumption.
(8) Medical food, as that term is defined in 21 U.S.C. § 360ee(b)(3).

www.leg.state.vt.us...

edit on 4/26/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Define "toughest."

I guess since it is the only law to be enacted, it is the toughest in the US.

So,if there is any chance that the product is "contaminated" it will be labeled whether or not it has GM material. This means any corn product, any soy product will say “may be produced with genetic engineering." This doesn't make a consumer any more informed than they are now. An informed consumer already knows that box of corn flakes “may be produced with genetic engineering.” An informed consumer wants to see a label that says "non-GM."

I beg to disagree. It makes no difference to me. At least I know there will be no third party profiteering from "non-GMO" certification that will make such food products more expensive for consumers.

Anyway, this thread is about Russia....

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
DP, sorry.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
So when should we expect a terrorist attack in Russia? Tomorrow, the next day??

You mean *from* Russia in the US, right? You know, something out of character for Russia but very much needed to give USA politicians something to ratchet up the American manipulation machine and start the sheep into "USA! USA! Let's get 'Em!" Mode.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

At least I know there will be no third party profiteering from "non-GMO" certification that will make such food products more expensive for consumers.
Like "Organic" labeling?

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh dear. I don't think either of our approaches is sinking in.

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

More than you know, buddy....More than you know...

posted on Apr, 27 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

More than you know, buddy....More than you know...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join