It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got Skills? Want to put them to the test? If so a K-9 Search and Rescue Team needs you.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Okay so you got your basic survival skills down... Now how about putting them to practice... Learning even more and maybe saving more than a few lives in the process?

Over the weekend I talked to a buddy of mine who wanted me to join the

Join the K9 Search and Rescue Team

God these guys need all kinds of help and in a big way and I do mean all kinds of help.

In my case not as a K9 Handler but because of my Ham radio license and ability to set up and maintain portable communications in most any remote environment.

FYI they do need K9 Handlers and you don't even have to have a dog. They get a number of pound rescue dogs given to them which they train to be an SAR dog but they need handlers to work these dogs.

Fact is they need all kinds of people with all kinds of skills.

So you say you'd love to give it a try but you don't live in Colorado?
Not to worry
The National Association for Search and Rescue (NASAR) have a list of up coming training events and volunteer opportunities all across America.

So what do think, ready to put those skills to use and earn some street cred for yourself?

Go on, do it. I know you want too

edit on 14-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Before anyone asks
SARDA England has a different set of requirements for their SAR dog handlers

Before SARDA England will accept anyone wishing to train their dog to become a Search Dog, they must have been on the callout list of a recognised Mountain Rescue or Search and Rescue Team for a minimum of one year, have obtained a letter of support from their team and have bodied on National and Local training courses.

More details here

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
That is super cool. Would love to train dogs for that in the near future.
But it is not all fun and games as I'm sure you know.

I've never talked to actual SAR dog folk, but mentioned putting my border collie into that to my father. He is FEMA and my brother urban search and rescue guy. Was told at least during training the dog cannot be inside your house. cannot be treated as a pet.

Second hand info for certain, but if true, it has to be looked at as a job, and hard for some of us not to treat a dog as a family member.

Still could be an excellent way for people to contribute that may not otherwise be able too

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I couldn't tell you about the dog training part... as I said above I'm more the 'hump a heavy pack of communications gear' (Repeaters) into places most sane folks stay away from. so I'm not the guy to ask about that part of it.

But check out the links, make some calls, maybe visit a training event yourself. Then it's not second hand info and you can make up your mind if it's something you'd like to pursue?

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

I work with State Troopers in the Search and Rescue teams in the Kenai Peninsula Area. I haven't lately due to work an a very busy schedule. But know many other family and friends that participate, some classes are free, others you pay for at UAA or KCC.

We look for missing persons, avalanche victims in the Pass, stranded campers/hikers.

Very rewarding, challenging, and a adventure.

Thanks for sharing OP!

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

You know there is an organization of amateur ham radio operators who assist in emergencies for Citizens Corps, Department of Homeland Security and FEMA?

If youre not a member and want info...U2U me and Ill connect you with them.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Thanks for the offer but my "Elmer" got me hooked up with the
FEMA Independent Study Program (ISP)

I spent most of last night going over the first course
Introduction to Incident Command System, ICS-100

For those of you who don't know... An "Elmer" is what we call and experienced Amateur Radio Operator who helps people like me learn and study for the exams. Right now their--- a husband/wife team--- are trying to learn me enough to pass my "Extra Class"
Susan BTW is very good at looking me right in the eyes and saying,
"Good lord, the boy can be taught?"
Does wonders for my self-confidence ya know.

edit on 15-4-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Great! Went through that myself, and am in ICS with my city EOC Office of Emergency Management. Have fun. And thanks for taking it!

top topics

join