It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control in the UK: misconceptions, where do people get them?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: wills120

Look, no hard feelings - sorry if I came off as rude just then.

I wasn't really having a go at gun owners, I've been there - it ain't worth it. It's beyond my ability to change your opinion any more than is it yours to alter mine.

The only reason I chimed in was there's always an outburst in these arguments where we brits will be told we're a nation of cctv monitored sheep...now that's kinda true...but the states is no better

That was all my point really was, I've said it before and will say it again one final time - you guys are just as far gone as we are, perhaps more so. the things that have come to light over the years tells us all we need to know about both our governments.

So cut with the nonsense about how we're somehow more controlled than anyone else, as for wars of past between whoever...I simply don't care - I accept no responsibility for what my own flesh and blood father did before I was born, I most certainly feel nothing about some war I know very little about.

You may base your entire outlook on such matters - me, I don't see the point, wasn't there, glad I wasn't there, no desire to re-visit, re-enact or even think about it quite frankly, it's absolutely irrelevant.

The OP started a gun debate and as always it descended into tit for tat bickering about who's more sheeple than people...it played out like a worn out record.

I'm out.
edit on 7-5-2014 by samerulesapply because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antigod
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

You basically take away MY choice at living in a handgun free environment when you do that. I choose NOT to be in danger from gun wielding muggers, burglars and my crazy assed neighbor on a killing spree. Last time I checked you are about 6 times more likely to die from gunshots than a knife attack, I'll take the lower risk.

So the essence of the argument is who gets to oppress who the most? Who says you should have that choice, any more than I should have the opposite choice? For the greater good? That's a phrase that has always been heavily dependent on what you think the greater good should be. By my definition, the greater good would be served by lifting restrictions not imposing them. I suspect that your definition would be slightly different.

My neighbours get to live in a "firearms free environment". They don't see my firearms, they don't hear them, they don't get affected by them, all the while living within 20 meters of them.

I can exercise my choice without impacting on the people around me at all. When you exercise your choice, it impacts everyone.

Will my choice - make handguns or semi-automatic rifles available to FAC holders - increase the chance of something happening? Statistically, yes. Not a massive increase and with the framework surrounding ownership at the moment, that chance remains negligible. Has your choice prevented firearms deaths in the UK? No.

I don't hold with the theory that "every law is permissible if there's the chance that a life might be saved". That will always colour my thinking and will probably prevent us coming to an agreeable conclusion on the matter.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
Peels Principles are, to my mind, the best basis that any police force could work on. There were such high hopes when Theresa May was appointed that we'd start the move back towards them, but that never materialised. I'm very pro-police and I feel that they have been screwed over so many times it's amazing that half of them are still turning up to work each day.

For the first part of your comment I offer this from Martin Surl's website.
"In 1829 Sir Robert Peel said “The public are the police, the police are the public.”
That will be my guiding principle."

I'm glad I voted for Martin as our PCC. Gloucestershire is leading by example.

For the second part of your comment, that's why I've made efforts to boost police morale and I suggest others do the same. One unpleasant truth is that police die young from the stress of the job. Bear that in mind next time a policeman or woman is 'harassing' you. They have given up part of their life to protect you.
edit on 19 5 2014 by Kester because: paragraphs

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Antigod

The idea that our government doesn't allow any guns must be a message given out for a reason. Perhaps that reason is to make gun bans more acceptable in other nations.

I couldn't agree more that it's a hopelessly inaccurate picture. Perhaps some yearly sales figures for shotgun and rifle ammunition might clear up the confusion.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join