It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Really Don't Want to Talk Now, Bob

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
We've been talking about security of the A.L.I.C.E. chatbot on some other threads. There are other conversation logging chatbot platforms out there such as MOO, but I've found one that gives me the bad shivers. It's called Chatbot! - Personal Chatbot Server:

"Chatbot! - Personal Chatbot Server is a system tray windows application that allows users to bring an AI chatbot with them wherever they chat."

In plain English, imagine if your new cyberbuddy on IRC or AOL-IM isn't human.

There ought to be a law against computers impersonating humans without notice.

Imagine the civil liberties intrusions this technology makes possible.

I like my crayons better every day.

If you are active military, stay off chat.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Eh, I've set up AOL chatbots. In fact, they've been around for at least four years. Some are very useful (there's a 'Recipe buddy' one) but most are just lame. And IRCbots are... ghods... ancient technology.

They're still about as sophisticated as the chatbot examples you saw. In most cases, you can tell within 10 minutes that it's a 'bot.... they fail the Turing test easily.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i dont really see the civil liberty intrusions this would cause. if ur telling something to a bot, ud probably tell it to a human as well. hopefully, the human would be more responsive/attuned than the bot. you just need to check what you say, and who you say it to.

i see nothing wrong with using technology for a little fun. aimbots are stupid, but good for laughs. ircbots are, as stated, awesome.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Eh, I've set up AOL chatbots. In fact, they've been around for at least four years. Some are very useful (there's a 'Recipe buddy' one) but most are just lame. And IRCbots are... ghods... ancient technology.

They're still about as sophisticated as the chatbot examples you saw. In most cases, you can tell within 10 minutes that it's a 'bot.... they fail the Turing test easily.

how do you test them? specific questions?

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
jah.

en.wikipedia.org...
the basic idea is that you have a judge, a person, and a bot. give the judge five minutes to ask questions. if he cant figure out that the computer is the computer, it passes. no machine has, as of yet.

my favorite part, however, is this.

Documented cases are usually in environments such as Internet Relay Chat where conversation is sometimes stilted and meaningless, and in which no understanding of a conversation is necessary, are common.

so true

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Thanks Amory, Byrd, everybody. Posted this as a warning to newbies on the Net (some of whom are rather more older than younger). Some of them have no clue their chats are being logged by humans or bots. What concerns me is the possible use of AI to troll for law enforcement or political/intelligence purposes. There's an old US fifties song that says 'you can't get thrown in jail for what you think' but the net lets us think out loud, and that can be dangerous. So my advice is: think nice. And don't trust chat or chat bots. Especially with sensitive information. Loose lips sink ships.

If we know about ALICE, imagine what is being programmed that we are not cleared to know. Caveat Emptor.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
slashdot.org.../11/24/2140209&from=rss

read it, it relates. links to the other articles. basic idea is the possibility of a cia bot in any irc chan to allow 'eavesdropping.' i really dont like the idea of this, and it wont accomplish much, but its not really illegal, is it? theyve got just as much right to launch a bot, and everyone can log the chat. it just sounds bad, in an ACLU way, but theres no reason why they cant. damn.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Threadbots,

There was this one, that prattled on about some badboy, and the moon.
Ever seen one of those?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Threadbots,

There was this one, that prattled on about some badboy, and the moon.
Ever seen one of those?

threadbot, troll, same thing really, the bot just has more heart.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Amory,

You've got THAT right.
It's all in the "programming"

Fortunately, it's been debugged..

[edit on 28-11-2004 by spacedoubt]

new topics

top topics

join