It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Student Arrested After Notifying Principal ‘We’re Disappointed In You’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
An Indiana student was forcibly removed from a sit-in last Wednesday, after he expressed disappointment in Lake Central High School’s principal for the way he was handling the death of a former student.

The Times reported that Hunter Ernst, 18, was arrested and taken to Lake County Jail. St. John police chief Fred Frego told the newspaper that Ernst had gotten into an argument with Tobias and was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and possession of a knife on school property.

Fascism at it's finest.

“While I refer to what took place Wednesday as a sit-in, it was an incident that involved many mixed emotions, including my own,” he wrote, according to the Times. “There is no easy solution when 200 kids decide to create a sit-in within the middle of the school in order to demonstrate a point of view, while making demands. Options could range from yell (and yell louder), make threats, have police arrest them all, suspend them all … etc., all this while trying to reason with emotional teenagers who have defined a personal purpose, but who also need to get back to class.”

“We have always practiced a different protocol of acknowledgment for a suicide death, which involves minimal publicity in order to not glorify the suicide,” the letter continued. “After receiving confirmation from a relative late Monday, an email message was sent to the high school staff informing them of the suicide of a young man who was a former student. The email message I sent to my staff was clear that we would have services in place for students that were identified as in need of a conversation with a counselor. Although all staff were notified, primary focus was on this young man’s former teachers.”

According the principal, the sit-in was “not the right way” to solve the problem. He also said the steps some students are taking to remember the student could be perceived as “suicide glorification.”

“What may have been lost is not the memory of a young man, or the emotions of our students, but the fact that the death was a suicide, and some students in an effort to preserve the memory of this young man are taking steps that other students could interpret as suicide glorification,” he wrote in the letter sent home to parents.

Source #1

Sourc e #2

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Ohhh, so you're a rabble rouser, huh? Expressing an opinion against established authority? Actually practicing peaceful, non violent dissent?

New lessons being taught between classes these days.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Teaching yet another group of today's youngsters to hate cops and distrust authority.

And then we wonder why they can't function in the work place and are so ludicrously out of control.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Looks like they have the same policy suicide as here in NZ . Don't talk about it.
NZ is leading youth suicide in the world.
This don't talk about it and keep it all hush hush doesn't work.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The collective stupidity in america never ceases to exist or amaze.

We are becoming far dumber, far far dumber. Im moving to the mountains before it gets to weird.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

AnIntellectualRedneck
Teaching yet another group of today's youngsters to hate cops and distrust authority.

And then we wonder why they can't function in the work place and are so ludicrously out of control.

The school's policy on suicides has merit ... if it's not exactly the right thing to do. Suicides seem to come in waves. Years ago a classmate of my son's jumped off the roof of our apartment building. I've never been able to let go the idea that there was something I missed ... some way I might have intervened.

Some things are just better ... Not ... left to the decision making of a teen (or a group of teens).

You make a good points, Redneck!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

The way they handled it is the issue here.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

They didn't shoot him. I'd almost be willing to consider him as lucky as the guy with the Lotto winnings in the bank.

Sucks for him to be 18 ... and he'll be lucky if they don't 'stick' him hard. I know you know the deal here. We're not in disagreement, just seeing the situation from more than one angle.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I graduated in 98 and we never had these ridiculous rules regarding suicide. What good comes from NOT talking about it? How can others learn? If someone thinks that remembering a fellow student glorifies suicide then there really is no free speech left. Do they really think kids are rushing to off themselves for no good reason other than they were supposedly subjected to suicide "glorification"? Puh-lease. These so called educators should be addressing real world issues that foster thought and reflection instead of inciting protests with their fascist policies. The school admin takes zero responsibility in the reaction of the students... Like these kids staged a sit in for s***s and giggles. How lulzy. It's a good thing I don't have kids bc there's no way I'd let them be ruined by the public indoctrination "schools".

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

But it's getting bad here in the mountains too because there are so many outsiders(NY) coming here and doing the same things. Common sense has been thrown out the window. Things that used to be easy have been complicated so that no one understands them. Not to mention losing the small-town charm and having it replaced with this uppity idiocy. We had a mural on the front of our grade school for decades until a teacher moved here from NY and complained about it. They painted over the mural because it was "offensive" and "sent out the wrong message" after it being there for about 60 years. I won't post here what I told this teacher right to her stupid-looking rat face and to the principle for allowing it to happen.

OT:
Any time you go after the common-sense challenged in charge, or: TCSCI, you can expect to be met with force from the local military...I mean "cops".

new topics

top topics

join