It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbolic meanings...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me what a good site for symbolic meanings would be?

I know there is probably a broad range but to name a few would be appreciaited.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This would be the quickest way of doing it, since there are thousands of symbols.....

Results 1 - 10 of about 698,000 for symbols meanings

www.google.com...

[edit on 26-11-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
HEHE ya, I tried that.... Thats why I turned to ATS folk.

Thanks though

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdsEyeView
HEHE ya, I tried that.... Thats why I turned to ATS folk.

Thanks though

Well then I guess you would have to be more specific as to what symbols you were interested in to narrow it down

IE I doubt you would be interested in these

Adinkra Symbols & Meanings

www.welltempered.net...

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I dont know how to narrow it down because its a symbol I saw and found intreguing... Actually theres two of em. if you took a crescent moon with both point facing left and stretched it out a bit so it wasnt as circular and fattened up the middle with a circle, and the otherone is kinda like one of those ninja throwing things
um it only had three point each curving in the same direction....

thanks for any help

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You're going to need to specify a lot of things -- because what a symbol MEANS depends on several things:
* what part of the world it comes from
* what time period it comes from
* what religious philosophy it comes from

--and all of those things have to be considered in combination. Take, for example, the snake. To the Christians since about... oh... 400 AD the snake was synonymous with the Devil and a symbol of evil. To the Greeks some 500 years before, it was the symbol of the Pythia; the prophetess of Apollo. In Buddhist literature it was one of the animals faithful to Buddha and in India, it's associated with the nagas who protect the Buddha. To SOME of the American Indians, it's associated with rain (in other Native American cultures it's associated with fertility.) In alchemical tradition the snake meant something else entirely depending on what the snake was shown doing.

So... I think that in order to study symbols, you have to decide what symbols you're interested in. THEN start studying the culture and the time; read as much as you can on it.

Some symbols (prehistoric/pre-writing designs) can't ever be accurately interpreted.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
One of the ones I described is a tattoo I really wanted to get, always used to by henna and draw it on my left upper arm... Just emt someone not too long ago with it in the same spot I used o put it, thought it was kinda neat... the other was anthoer tatto I saw on someone.

top topics

join