It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrested for Preaching the "Word of God"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This left me a little pissed off

I am not a religious man but I am a firm believer in freedom of speech.

I saw this video today which was sent to me by a friend (skip to about the 7 minute mark for the bit with the police)

So whats kind of got me feeling a little "off" about this is that i know that high street quite well

I know that there is always a guy with a guitar hooked up to a amplifier at one end of that street and another at the opposite end.

They are both very loud at times, neither of them play guitar very well and sometimes they even sing (which sounds worse than his preaching).

Yet this man was preaching, he was no louder than they were as is stated in the video he was just standing in the middle of town expressing his right to freedom of speech by preaching about the love of God (or whatever).

But he got arrested for that!

I do not agree with this kind of street preaching, i find it annoying, but what I really dont agree with is arresting a man for preaching.

Furthermore, and I really do not want this to be taken the wrong way, but I have to wonder, how different would the police have acted if that were a Iman preaching from the Qur'an with a camera?

edit on 29-3-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
JOHN 16:2
"They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service"

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This source states that the Baptist preacher was not arrested. Source

But it does bring up an interesting issue. If you were out with the family shopping would you want to hear someone preaching, or speaking out about any topic?

Apparently, some people did not want to hear it and complained to police.

I don't know who is right on this one and will have to think on it for a bit.
edit on 29-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I am not surprised and have a feeling we will be seeing this more and more as time goes on. Christianity is no longer considered PC by those that seem to get offended every time one draws breath.

As far as your speculation about the IMAM. I think you are right about that as well. He would have been left alone regardless of how loud or disruptive people considered him to be because they would have been terrified of being labeled "racist" or "intolerant" if they treated him the same as they treated this man.

Just another step in regulating free speech in those who others disagree with.

I can walk into any store or down any street with my daughter and hear folks using the F-word 5 times in a single sentence and it has never occurred to me to call the cops on them. I wish they would at least be considerate enough to NOT do it around kids but... Different strokes I guess.
edit on 3/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/29/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Well I for one have many times in the past felt like walking up to one of these 'preachers' and taking the microphone out of their hands and throwing it in a bin.

What annoys me is that if this guy was a Muslim preacher there would be bloody war if the cops arrested him.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Now to be fair, he was not using microphone.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Well, I tell you what. Anytime you want to try it, you are welcome to come and try to take the microphone out of my hand. It would not end well for you. I'm not one of those turn the other cheek kinda Christians.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Text Furthermore, and I really do not want this to be taken the wrong way, but I have to wonder, how different would the police have acted if that were a Iman preaching from the Qur'an with a camera?

I don't fully understand where your going with this comment ? Can you please be more specific?

Are you suggesting a "Muslim" would get more Leniency?

Humbly

LSH

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Text Furthermore, and I really do not want this to be taken the wrong way, but I have to wonder, how different would the police have acted if that were a Iman preaching from the Qur'an with a camera?

I don't fully understand where your going with this comment ? Can you please be more specific?

Are you suggesting a "Muslim" would get more Leniency?

Humbly

LSH

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Of course a muslim would get more leniency.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
out my way the salvation army ladies just set up a chair or two w/ a little table & books and they don't bother anyone who doesn't want to be bothered..

i reckon when they finally add coconut macaroons into the equation things will get even better?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

seabhac-rua
Well I for one have many times in the past felt like walking up to one of these 'preachers' and taking the microphone out of their hands and throwing it in a bin.

What annoys me is that if this guy was a Muslim preacher there would be bloody war if the cops arrested him.

Really? A bloody war? ....little extreme buddy...

I am Muslim & if this happen to me i would simply move on . I don't know how it is in the UK ,but here in the USA the majority of Muslims don't go put and "preach" as you put it ...

At least none that i have seen , i had to go out searching to the local masjid to find answers ...

Just saying

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Christian Voice
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Of course a muslim would get more leniency.

Lol really .... What makes you say that please explain?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Here's a thought:

If you go to a shopping mall or a store, what are you most likely to hear? Music playing over the PA. It's a common practice and you can also hear music at outdoor markets and such.

If that shopping mall or market had religious speech or politics playing through the PA, wouldn't that potentially turn-off some customers and affect their business?

So if this preacher was in an area were people were shopping, etc....couldn't the case be made that music is acceptable, but controversial speech about religion or politics could be detrimental to the surrounding business'?

Therefore his right to free speech ends when it impedes on the right of the shop owner to conduct business?

Thoughts?
edit on 29-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
How would you feel if said person were arrested for preaching satanism?

What about polytheism?

I do believe that Christians need to keep their bs in their churches and away from the ears of children and the rest of us in general but I don't believe he should have been arrested.

Nobody should be put in a cage unless they are violent or a politician.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

theyknowwhoyouare
How would you feel if said person were arrested for preaching satanism?

What about polytheism?

I do believe that Christians need to keep their bs in their churches and away from the ears of children and the rest of us in general but I don't believe he should have been arrested.

Nobody should be put in a cage unless they are violent or a politician.

Like i said I am not really very religious my grievance is not that they took a preacher off the street but that they took a man off the street for exercising his freedom of speech.

It has nothing to do with Christian BS

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

I'm not one of those turn the other cheek kinda Christians.

Isn't this statement somewhat of an oxymoron??

My feeling, as a Christian; Jesus would rather have you follow his teachings. Than to worship him as God.
We are all the Sons and Daughters of God. What good is a teacher if you glorify them and do not follow what they teach?
edit on 29-3-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think the real problem here is that someone preaching about God/Jesus interferes with people's mindless shopping..
They get jarred out of their stupor and say, "huh?, someone's actually making me think about something?"

This is not the case with the amplified buskers. People are a lot better at tuning out random noise.. Which is why the cops had no problem with them even if they were in fact louder..

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sorry, but shouting your personal views at people in public places is just plain rude.

This would annoy the hell out of me and make me very angry no matter what the subject.

And all the police were doing really was asking him not to shout and he didn't feel like complying.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

all the police were doing really was asking him not to shout and he didn't feel like complying.

The question is, whether he had the legal right to be annoying.
I feel that he did. Granted I'm not at all familiar with Scottish laws..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join