It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Numbers and subjectivity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
A long time ago, when we were still making grunting noises in the forest, we started to iterate our thoughts, firstly they could be observations, for instance, one might invent a word to describe and object, however, another individual would have a different word:

Caveman 1 looks at a tree, points to it, and says "ungh".
Caveman 2 looks a a tree, points to is, and says "yiff".

Now, in out time, I would point to it, and say, "tree".

Now, we have a complex language, with many definitions, however, one must not loose sight of individual expression, by all means, I could look at a tree, point to it, and call it a bimilimatache.

Secondly, is writing, we have a defined alphabet, however, what is stopping you from expressing your thoughts by simply scribbling a lot of nonesensical patterns on to a piece of paper - the key is that you were transcribing what you were thinking on to paper, however, the result is practically impossible to read - however, you could always remember what you were thinking, and make an attempt to "decode" it, and thus try to create structured "letters" or "forms".

Thirdly, is numbers and obviously, one is a single object, and two or more are multiple objects.

However, if one tries to "speak" numbers, one might just say that a tree is 34059724509209483209.

So, when thinking about expression, realise that "making sense" is an issue for structured forms of communication, however, an intutitive person can respond and say that a frog is 43589348959.

I'll come along and say that 34059724509209483209 + 87687 - 9787867 = 43589348959 means that "The frog sits on the tree."

This "jump" is what I call the "intutitive leap" and I beleive that the most advanced races actually develop to have language and meaning that is unique for each individual, explaining how technology can appear confusing and nonsensical, yet somehow "works" because inventiveness is an expression of individuality, and by a process of trial and error, and of course, resources, they are able to craft objects that are almost beyond belief.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

This is interesting to sit here and think about. I am not totally certain I understand what it is your saying though.

s&f for thinking so in depth and portraying it here for us to read. I like this kind of stuff. It gets my noggin thinking.

leolady

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Language is not only a means of communication and as discussed elsewhere meanings of a particular culture's word can often never be understood by anybody not of that culture and its history but is always a means of thought control.

A bit of fun is to sit round of an evening with some friends and not use proper language but communicate with noises and body language - kind of like when you meet someone who doesn't speak your language at all - kids from all language backgrounds play together with little difficulty through this medium as you can see across Europe during the summer as families meet on camp sites and in resorts.

If you haven't read the mammoth 'language of the vampire' thread i suggest you do (set aside a day or 2 lol) it covers a bit of everything but is mainly language related and some fascinating insights are there - regarding how language is a tool for both advancement and repression.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I'm not sure I understand completely what you're trying to say but your thread made me thinking.
and that is a good think.

it seems to me however that "completely individual" expression will always lead to some form of structure and new language.
maybe it has to do with fact that some people would just accept frog being 3423534642 to avoid expressing their individuality.

some like to lead, others like to follow.
it would require very advanced society I think.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
math, as boring as I personally find it, is quite odd.

its like music. it is infinite and beautiful, and boring lol.

top topics

join