It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanction tit-for-tat: Moscow strikes back against US officials

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Russia’s Foreign Ministry has published a reciprocal sanctions list of US citizens, consisting of 10 names, including: House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner, Senator J. McCain; and senior adviser to President Obama, D. Pfeiffer.

THE LIST OF OFFICIALS

The move comes in response to US sanctions imposed against Russian officials after the March-16 referendum in Crimea, which Washington considered “illegitimate.”

“In response to sanctions imposed by the US Administration on 17 March against a number of Russian officials and deputies of the Federal Assembly as a “punishment” for support of the referendum in Crimea, the Russian foreign Ministry announces the introduction of reciprocal sanctions against a similar number of US officials and lawmakers,” reads the statement published on the Foreign Ministry’s website.

The Ministry reiterates that Russia has “repeatedly” stressed using sanctions is a “double-edged thing” and it will have a “boomerang” effect against the US itself.

“Treating our country in such way, as Washington could have already ascertained, is inappropriate and counterproductive,” the statement said.

(The link with the list of officials from the RT source does not seem to be working at this time)

rt.com...

This is a breaking story with more details to follow but it appears that thing are heating up for real.

Of course this could just be tit-for-tat tactics as the title suggests but this escalation in the souring of relations between Russia and the West over the Crimea issue is difficult to ignore.

Personally, I think both sides are crazy but hopefully this is just saber rattling and that nothing serious will come of this but sadly I fear that this will only get worse before it gets better.

As neutral that I can try to be, I can empathize with Putin's actions due to the NATO build up around Russia over the years. I am not saying it is right to annex any portions of land but the uprising in Ukraine appeared to Western backed attempt at regime change that may have backfired for those behind it.

Also, the hypocrisy of Western governments in regards to this situation is unbelievable. So many diplomats are making announcements that defy logic...it's as if they haven't paid any attention to what their own governments have been up to over the last few decades.

I think it's time for the pot to meet kettle.
edit on 3/20/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Uh oh, you mean we will have to do without Russian imports? Touche!

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

greencmp

Uh oh, you mean we will have to do without Russian imports? Touche!

Thanks for that. I laughed so hard, I peed a little in my pants.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Wait, so is this in response to the first round of sanctions on monday or the new ones? I just saw breaking as of like an hour ago Obama announced a whole new round of sanctions including more individuals and a Russian Bank this time around...This is so ridiculous haha

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Russia is able to mirror all sanctions....
no profit for both parties
just political bla bla...
accept it ..
chance it
or leave it
edit on 20-3-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I don't know why the US is in such an uproar. If anything we should place sanctions on the Ukraine and Crimea for violating the civil rights of the undocumented workers that have crossed their border.

We should demand they be given free housing and free medical care as well as voting rights.

Not sure the national language of the Ukraine but they should start to transfer the the native language of the invaders, hate to make them feel unwelcomed. Also stop flying their nations flag lest the invaders feel unwelcomed.

The Ukraine should also offer food stamps to them and label anybody that opposes them a racist.

Thats what we demand when a neighboring country invades our borders.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Yeah, seriously. What Russian things could the U.S. not live without? On the plus side, this is the first thing that made me giggle today.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Corruption ExposedThis is a breaking story with more details to follow but it appears that thing are heating up for real.

No..it's not heating up..

Russia and America are like two kids about to fight but nobody wants to throw the first punch because REALLY they dont want to fight...

So they settle for name calling and insulting each others mother.

Putin - your moms a slut

Obama - Yeah, well Yo mamma so fat she left the house in high heels and when she came back she had on flip flops.

Putin - shut up dick..your mother is so fat that she dont need the internet she's already world wide

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Russian Bank did America Pick?,,( pres O,, just said "a Russian Bank",,will be sanctioned)
,as per President Obama's,, latest chastisment,,,maybe someone will let the public know.

i wonder which American Bank,
the Russian State Dept. picks,,????

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Actually yes, it's quite obvious that it is heating up whether it's all theatrics or the real deal.

That's my opinion at least...you shouldn't present your opinion as fact...just saying.

ETA:

I do admit that I agree with a lot of what you said in regards to the scenario you presented...it's just that I believe this to be more serious than you believe it to be, it appears that way to me at least.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i say lets introduce these politicians to the real world most of us have to live in every day
NOBODY GETS PAID TILL THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED

that car up thread reminds me of the edsel
i'd post a pic of a surviving edsel in the wild but there are none
edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago56 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago28 by Danbones because: 2 edits for a one liner thats me lol

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

BobAthome

Russian Bank did America Pick?,,( pres O,, just said "a Russian Bank",,will be sanctioned)
,as per President Obama's,, latest chastisment,,,maybe someone will let the public know.

This one -

Bank Rossiya (ОАО АБ РОССИЯ) is the personal bank for senior officials of the Russian Federation. Bank Rossiya’s shareholders include members of Putin’s inner circle associated with the Ozero Dacha Cooperative, a housing community in which they live. Bank Rossiya is also controlled by Kovalchuk, designated today. Bank Rossiya is ranked as the 17th largest bank in Russia with assets of approximately $10 billion, and it maintains numerous correspondent relationships with banks in the United States, Europe, and elsewhere. The bank reports providing a wide range of retail and corporate services, many of which relate to the oil, gas, and energy sectors.

Source

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I agree.

The sad thing is that if these sanctions do have any affect on either side, it will be the common citizens that suffer even though they are targeting certain "elitists".

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Corruption Exposed

Actually yes, it's quite obvious that it is heating up whether it's all theatrics or the real deal.

That's my opinion at least...you shouldn't present your opinion as fact...just saying.

Did i say FACT 'Its not heating up'..no...its my opinion, and i am free to express it, as you are yours, or am i only free to express my opinion if it agrees with yours..
edit on PM4Thu20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately for Russia, these sanctions they are imposing have no where near the same level of impact that Western sanctions will on them. I mean, Senator McCain was one such individual sanctioned and given a "visa ban" - like he is going to be that bothered about not being able to go to Russia! Whereas the Russians on the end of such Western sanctions are that bothered about being sanctioned, seeing as their wealth and yachts are all in the West....

The only card the Russians can pull which will have any affect would Oil/Gas, which is really just going to harm them as much as the EU (as they rely on such exports to prop up their economy) if not more as the EU usually keeps a strategic reserve of gas anyway and alternate supplies are available

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Did i say FACT 'Its not heating up'..no...its my opinion, and i am free to express it, as you are yours.

Even though you did not officially use the word fact, you presented it as fact...it appeared that way at least.

What I would have done is say "In my opinion...(add whatever opinion you would like to share). That way it would not be confused as a factual statement.

FYI I have since edited my original response to you.

Wasn't trying to get confrontational with you but I just felt obligated to point out my observation in regards to your statement.

Things are very complicated and not many things in regards to this issue should be presented as fact as most of what we are being told is coming from the media so the information we are being fed is most likely agenda driven, from both sides of course

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Russia and America are just playing out a game. this game is called "let's pretend we hate each other and carve up the world resources between us".

Like the Jets and the Sharks...one controls the east side one the West. they appear to be enemies, but deep down they have it all under control.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I do agree with your assessment of the situation that the sanctions against Russia will cause more damage than those placed against the US officials.

The thing is that Russia has a lot of pull in Europe with their oil and gas but this is a tangled web of multi-national investors/corporations who work together and ignore nationality...all they care about is the money, not the people.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

The US made the Nazi - move .Putin made the Crimea move . Stalemate , well not quite but , the west starts waving arms and suggesting moving lines in the sand .Putin in a cordial game of funnies on the side mimics west's useless announcements that mean nothing and are only for public consumption .In the case of the Russian public ,I see them grinning from ear to ear and chuckling .Oh and the people in the west that have been following the details of the story ....peace

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

tinner07
The Ukraine should also offer food stamps to them and label anybody that opposes them a racist.

Thats what we demand when a neighboring country invades our borders.

Yeah, exactly.

And not allow native flag Tshirts in the schools as that too is insensitive to the invading hoardes..

On a serious side, the people of Crimea voted to join Russia.. ffs, that is democracy being spread. The fact that America is against the democratic intentions of Crimea is VERY telling.

The US has been hijacked since 1963. All the big players around the globe know it, this is why they started calling us 'stupid Americans' back in the 80s. We, as a nation were gullibly caught up in over indulging and slapping ourselves on the back for being exceptionable and indespensible.

Today, the under 40 crowd will pay for the sins of the brainwashed baby boomers.

AND the Russians are showing up the Chicken Hawk NeoCons. Trash talking the cowards in DC, ridiculing and embarassing them. And in turn. the tantrumming Chicken Hawks will self destruct and make bigger fools of the whole nation. Until the Americans' bellies are full of it. and actually DO SOMETHING.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join