It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality Or Meaninglessness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I want to say, that I think I truly understand the pull humans have always had towards spirituality and religion. The need for there to be something more. Recently I've really become aware of this within myself. The way I search and search for some spiritual system that I can reasonably accept, and that gives me a sense of wonder and purpose. I can feel how this impulse is just towards...something. Very open-ended, just something.

I feel that I need it. 'Feel.' Because, if there truly is nothing beyond this physical reality, and mundane human affairs. Then...what is there at all? Where is the purpose? Because if you think about it, if there truly is no spiritual aspects to reality, higher levels of reality...just think about it. Everything is completely arbitrary. Why was I given the genetics I was, born into this genetic line? Why was I born into the socio-economic environment I was? Why did I have the overall environment I did? Why did I live where I did? Why was I surrounded by the people, and general social influences, that I was? Because, this is the stuff that makes us who we are. This is almost everything.

What happens to us, our inherent dispositions, the people around us...that's who we are, that's what makes us who we are. If there are no karmic or spiritual reasons for any of it, then everything about who I am, and who we all are, is completely arbitrary. We're all interchangeable, just randomly being inserted into the slots we are. I just can't help but see meaningless and arbitrariness, if there really is nothing more.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

The problem is assumptions, there is so much we don't know so we enter discovery like a child. Whats wrong with that, sure we make mistakes but we find meaning. So of course its worthwhile, the true shame is not to have spirituality. Spirituality is a word we use for deeper meaning of life, I love to enjoy that discovery, not only that it adds so much to human life. Our biggest con is (thinking) that physical reality is all there is. take a leap.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I know the feeling , I think a lot about the reason we are here , we all just seem to have some kind of mundane routine ...get up ,go to work,come home ,sleep and then the same thing day after day with a vacation thrown in here and there if we are lucky. But what is the reason for it? There has to be something more ...right ?
None of us truly knows why we are here and what comes after our time is up here but I like to think/hope there is something after our time here . Maybe life is paying admission to whatever is next .

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Good for you brother don't stop walking that path, wherever it may lead. Don't stop til you feel filled with jupiters water Jesus Christ etc...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Perhaps meaninglessness comes from living Life In a Box

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I feel you.

The "more" that you are looking for is within you. "Meaning" might not be the right word, but there is definitely more. And when you find it, "meaningless" or "non-meaningless" - it makes no difference at all.

edit on 18-3-2014 by zazen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Akragon

Maybe. When I DID feel spiritually illuminated, I watched very little TV. Now that I have lost that sense, I find myself watching a hell of a lot more TV...it's just something reasonably entertaining that takes up time. I wish there was more of a true sense of community in our localities. That it was a situation where we could just be outside, and real human interaction just naturally happened in that environment. But, that's not the world I live in. I do feel isolated. I would say TV is the opiate of the masses nowadays...a damn good one too...the other alternative is...to meditate a lot, I suppose?
edit on 19-3-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
s&f OP, subscribed.

Spirituality is a word we use for deeper meaning of life, I love to enjoy that discovery, not only that it adds so much to human life

I can resonate with this statement.

In my experience, (which I'm sure is universally consistent) spiritual fortitude makes for a much more positive outlook on day to day life.

And there is so much room to grow that the fun never ends!
edit on 19-3-2014 by GoShredAK because: Always gotta edit

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

TheJourney

Akragon

Maybe. When I DID feel spiritually illuminated, I watched very little TV. Now that I have lost that sense, I find myself watching a hell of a lot more TV...it's just something reasonably entertaining that takes up time. I wish there was more of a true sense of community in our localities. That it was a situation where we could just be outside and interact with those near of us. But, that's not the world I live in. I do feel isolated. I would say TV is the opiate of the masses nowadays...a damn good one too...the other alternative is...to meditate a lot, I suppose?

TV melts your brain brother....

Keep away as much as possible...

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

That is what spiritual indoctrination will get us. Years and years of being conditioned into believing we are more than what we are leads us into a sort of despair when finally seeing through their illusions to what actually is. You are not moving along with culture, which still postulates such spiritual doctrines, but you are moving beyond it, forced to create culture yourself. The ineradicable flaws of mankind become visible, clear, and only when we can learn to accept them, can we generate true meaning and purpose.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Spirituality...Finding meaning in a meaningless universe.

I personally don't try to ask about the "why" with physical circumstances. In most contexts of spirituality, its about letting go of the identity, but not to the point of not being anymore. Especially us humans who like to cling to materialistic things that could of been their dream, but yet, it cause their problems, or would just easily toss it aside.

Also, spirituality helps one be more content with the meaningless universe, or harsh reality of it all. I mean, for every baby being born, a person dies that very second somewhere else around the world.

Count your blessings sometimes.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The need for there to be something more.

This is the trap of materialism. Even if you have no physical possessions to your name, you still have possessions in your mind and they are material possessions because your mind has made them up.

Why was I given the genetics I was, born into this genetic line? Why was I born into the socio-economic environment I was? Why did I have the overall environment I did? Why did I live where I did? Why was I surrounded by the people, and general social influences, that I was? Because, this is the stuff that makes us who we are. This is almost everything.

No, not even close to "This is almost everything", it's barely nothing. It's a few microscopic specks of lunar matrix compared to the moon itself.

If there are no karmic or spiritual reasons for any of it, then everything about who I am, and who we all are, is completely arbitrary.

I kindly disagree on this. The 'cosmic matrix' system was designed for you to discover your own purpose by examining your life through various questions that will reveal that purpose to you -if you were to answer them in all honesty.

The Great 4 Questions are:
1. Who am I?
2. Where did I come from?
3. What is my purpose here?
4. Where am I going after this is over?

There are no religious books that can answer these questions for you. I'll just tell you right now that #3 is a big problem with a lot of people because they are simply _uninformed_ with regard to the Great 4 Questions. G4Q is not taught by major religions, each major religion has it's own proprietary specialized format.

These questions can undo centuries of crimes, it can unlock your unique potential, which you alluded to in your post.

We're all interchangeable, just randomly being inserted into the slots we are.

This is has been under dispute for thousands of years. You are not alone in thinking this. Do you feel purposeless sometimes? Many people do. Do you wanna believe in something that isn't hocus pocus/feel good mardi gras religions? Do you wish to avoid the overly sombre esoterica of perennial philosophies? Many people have already been down this path, that path only to find out that they were led astray. You will undoubtedly follow them at some point in your life if you are truly looking for the answers because most people who are looking for answers will follow Buddha, Jesus or Mohammed for at least awhile.

I don't wanna sound like I'm teaching... just rambling about the Matrix

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Why does there have to be meaning? What if there is no purpose other than existence for its own sake?

Life doesn't have to have a reason. It just IS. Spirituality and meaninglessness are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

SayonaraJupiter

The Great 4 Questions are:
1. Who am I?
2. Where did I come from?
3. What is my purpose here?
4. Where am I going after this is over?

Aren't all of these, except maybe the first, unanswerable though? I mean, without the acceptance of some spiritual system, either externally received or internally designed? I mean, it's all either 'I don't know,' 'bland materialistic explanation that is entirely uninspiring and essentially meaningless for the human mind/personality,' or 'made up, unverifiable spiritual explanation.'

But this all leads us to, IS IT about the truth? Is coming up with some spiritual explanation for things, that is logical enough, and creates a sense of wonder and purpose with you, an end in and of itself? Or is it all about whether it is ACTUALLY true or not? If spiritual concepts are unprovable, does that make them valueless, or is the value in the meaning and subjective benefits it provides to the individual?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

NthOther
Why does there have to be meaning? What if there is no purpose other than existence for its own sake?

Life doesn't have to have a reason. It just IS. Spirituality and meaninglessness are not mutually exclusive.

Life may not have to have a reason, but an individual may.

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I've never understood the need to adopt someone else's spirituality as my own. For as long as I have a mind and a heart of my own, I have the capacity to contrive my own spiritual disposition and outlook. This is why I have no problem finding tranquility in the absence of value, because as long as I'm aware enough to desire value, I'm aware enough to assign it. I decide what the universe means to me, and I decide what I want to mean in return. And then I act on it.
edit on 19-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Aren't all of these, except maybe the first, unanswerable though?

It's also possible to answer every question with a lie but what would be the point of that? If one is on a journey to know thyself these Great 4 Questions are indispensable.

Start with the G4Q, overlay that with the Prime Directive, The Eightfold Path, Ten Commandments, etc, and the system becomes more complex so the imperative reminder is always know what your purpose is here. Purpose. Agent Smith knows about it.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

Do you think we can choose our own purpose?

new topics

top topics

join