It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

U.S. officials announced plans Friday to relinquish federal government control over the administration of the Internet, a move that pleased international critics but alarmed some business leaders and others who rely on the smooth functioning of the Web.

“The timing is now right to start this transition both because ICANN as an organization has matured, and international support continues to grow for the multistakeholder model of Internet governance,” Strickling said in a statement.

U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

OK...The way I see it is that is is all intertwined anyways and that no one really has control as long as there is energy and bandwidth.

Is that what they are talking about here?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
In other words, US owns ICANN =D

Not that anyone would be able to prove it, tho

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Well, I see it as the government is limited as to being able to control the freedom of speech on the internet, but another private organization not under the control of the government has the right to control it. The government doesn't actually have a right to limit the rules of a private companies policies under certain conditions. Freedom of speech does not protect you if you tell off your employer, you usually get fired. That does not mean that the company running the net can not do favors for the government though. It can do favors for their customers and sponsoring corporations also.

This could be the end of the kind of internet we now have. I can't say if it will be better or worse than now, it depends on the desires of whoever sets this up.

Pure speculation....I have no evidence to back this theory.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the U.S. will no longer litigate with other countries in regards to original patents filed in the late 60s... or, they are taking thier "whitehouse.gov" and going home!

Is it wrong to wish for option B?

new topics

top topics

join