It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesnt PREDICT (pre-dict) mean say before?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
So what does PRO-PHECize/y mean, root-wise??

I had to wonder when I saw a post or two recollecting how they pre-dicted stuff that already happened.

If you pre-dict stuff should you have said it somewhere before the event actually happened (as opposed to just made a mental note of it, to yourself)?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

gardener

I had to wonder when I saw a post or two recollecting how they pre-dicted stuff that already happened.

If you pre-dict stuff should you have said it somewhere before the event actually happened (as opposed to just made a mental note of it, to yourself)?

Greek and it literally means "telling before"

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Like this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, I agree.....There is no prediction in something that already happened!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

Like this?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, I agree.....There is no prediction in something that already happened!

Lol, funny Thread!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Prophecy is the action of the prophet.

Oh. You want more? lol

Prophet means "messenger from God".

That is the difference with a predictor. His/her inspiration isn't from God.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Let's say there was a computer climate model and you wanted to "test" it's ability to "predict" weather.

To oversimplify: You could input it with data from say, last tuesday and generate a "prediction" for weather on wednesday so you could compare the prediction to actual. It's done all the time.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

gardener

Short answer is yes, predictions or prophesies are statements made about the future before it happens. Surprisingly, Wiki Prediction has a good bit on this.

They can be based on statistics, informed guess, modeling, intuition, dreams, etc. etc. But it is only a prediction if made before the outcome.

To be fair, a lot of the personal predictions and prophecies are posted on ATS after the fact/event, which is annoying and suspect, but I still think some of the things were experienced before the events. Myself included - I've had dreams or feelings of things that felt "predictive" but I don't always run to ATS to post them. My ego doesn't need the validation from an internet site...

Yes, I do believe I predict some stuff and I do say it to someone before the event actually happens, just rarely ATS. The more vague my experience, the more closely I hold the information.

My personal belief is that a "good" prediction needs a when, where, what, how, and in my personal experience, it is often based on my best educated guess.

So, is the issue with the validity of a prediction, or that it wasn't posted before the event? If it is the latter, more people may be willing to post their predictions if the ATS community didn't open the snark-fest attack on every post.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 20 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
More importantly, JURIS + DICT = Jurisdiction.

Legalese is a baffling thing, until you decode it .. UNDER + STAND = stand under (their) authority.

POLICY + ENFORCER = Police. (Used to be "Peace Officer")

So if a policy enforcer comes to you and asks: "Do you understand?", never answer "yes", unless you want to stand under their authority from that moment on. (Police have no authority over you, if peace has not been breached by you - in other words, if LAW has not been broken by you. Unless you give that authority to them, of course..)

Things that sound english, aren't always english, and it would be the most important thing for all human beings to know all this, and more. How language has been twisted to fit evil schemes - where your innocent answer actually has one meaning to common sense folk, and another for the policy enforcers, lawyers, and the 'officials' of the 'system'.

They define words in contracts a lot, by the way. 'Customer' means whatever it is defined to mean in a given contract, for example, NOT what one would intuitively think. And so on.

Did you know, that 'driving a car' is legalese and has a completely different meaning than 'traveling by automobile'? The same goes for 'passenger' versus 'traveling companion' or 'invited guest' or whatever. One set of terminology CREATES OBLIGATION (if you DRIVE a CAR, then you must have registration and blah blah), another does not (it's always lawful to travel by any methods, by automobile or otherwise - you don't need anyone's permission to perform completely lawful activities!)

Anyway, I think figuring out the origins of terms, terminologies and words is interesting, but more importantly, it's liberating and empowering, when you start realizing how we all have been duped, and how you can turn the tables in your favor by knowing all these methods. I don't mean to say that it's not important to ponder about 'pre-dict', but I think it's immensely more important to know what 'juris-dict' means, and why.

I will leave THAT for you to research and find out.. there's joy in finding that I don't want to rob anyone of!

top topics

join