It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Explosion and building collapse in Harlem, New York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

New York City emergency crews responded Wednesday morning to reports of an explosion and collapse of a residential building in East Harlem. Local reports say 15 people were injured, but the extent of the injuries were not immediately clear. It is also unclear if there are any people trapped inside the rubble. The FDNY said the building is located around Park Avenue between 114th and 117th streets, which is north of Central Park. The fire is considered 5-alarm fire and there are 168 firefighters at the scene. Residents reported hearing a large explosion in an apartment building around 9 a.m.

Fox News

Thoughts and prayers with all affected as well as the emergency services. This sounds like a horrific scene and it's a possibility residents from the collapsed buildings could be trapped. The building where the explosion took place was five storeys' high - other buildings nearby have been severely affected.
edit on 12-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

(post by eggntoast removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

eggntoast
really who gives a flying ****
this is all over the news, in every country that is controlled by the mass media on the front page.
where's the news about the people getting killed every day in any other ******* nation then USA!?
Of course its always sad when these things happens, I just wish the people involved are fine.

Banned in 3..2..1..

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Suspected gas leak apparently, but a blast doesnt usually lead to the collapse of a building. The only time that happens is when it is a controlled "blast" like on the show Blowdown I think it's called. I wonder how many events like this are deemed an accident such as gas leak ETC. Governments deny anything they can until they know what we know, then they admit. Rob Ford is a prime example, he not only denied smoking crack but swore he didn't, as he didn't think the video existed. But once he found out there was a video he owned up to what he thought we knew. It's sad, we live in a society where we are taught the truth will set us free but when our chosen officials only admit their faults when the truth is not only found, but smeared all over the news like dog poop on white nikes...how are we supposed to follow and trust them? I pray and hope for everyone involved.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

legageddon
Suspected gas leak apparently, but a blast doesnt usually lead to the collapse of a building. The only time that happens is when it is a controlled "blast" like on the show Blowdown I think it's called. I wonder how many events like this are deemed an accident such as gas leak ETC. Governments deny anything they can until they know what we know, then they admit. Rob Ford is a prime example, he not only denied smoking crack but swore he didn't, as he didn't think the video existed. But once he found out there was a video he owned up to what he thought we knew. It's sad, we live in a society where we are taught the truth will set us free but when our chosen officials only admit their faults when the truth is not only found, but smeared all over the news like dog poop on white nikes...how are we supposed to follow and trust them? I pray and hope for everyone involved.

There is one incident of a gas leak causing a catastrophic explosion and partial building collapse, some time around the 1960's at a newly built housing block in London.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ronan Point was a 22-storey tower block in Newham, East London, which partly collapsed on 16 May 1968 when a gas explosion demolished a load-bearing wall, causing the collapse of one entire corner of the building. Four people were killed in the incident, and 17 were injured.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

eggntoast
really who gives a flying ****
this is all over the news, in every country that is controlled by the mass media on the front page.
where's the news about the people getting killed every day in any other ******* nation then USA!?
Of course its always sad when these things happens, I just wish the people involved are fine.

Apparently you don't give a.....
Do you really think if this happened in another country we wouldn't cover it here? This site is global. If there's news in another country we cover it.
Not really ringing true that you care one way or the other about the occupants. That statement seems more like an after thought posted by you so people don't eat you alive.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Thanks OP, I am on right now because of this breaking event, OMG, what horrible time of day for this, young children home, I am more than worried about everyone involved in this terrible tragedy.

Ok off to read the thread.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
CNN reporting fire fighters digging through the rubble with their hands to find victims. Some people reporting two explosions. This was a gas leak Con Edison was called about a smell but it was already too late at that time. Explosion occurred moments after residents smelled the gas.
Hopefully most residents had already left foe school and work. So far CNN reporting two women were killed and several wounded. Most nor severely. Thank goodness.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by eggntoast

You really have some nerve. How dare you make those horrible comments? If it were you or any of your family would you be so cruel? WE DO DISCUSS the world at large and we do care no matter what race, religion or creed, READ the forum!!! THIS is about a tragedy happening in NYC right now!!!

am i a JERK.
edit on am331amWed, 12 Mar 2014 11:17:41 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by legageddon

It's a gas explosion not a building take down. Geez did you just want to be the first in line for the government did it crowd ? Not everything g is a conspiracy dude. Accidents happen especially in old buildings and this is certainly one of the older neighborhoods in the city.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

antar
Thanks OP, I am on right now because of this breaking event, OMG, what horrible time of day for this, young children home, I am more than worried about everyone involved in this terrible tragedy.

Ok off to read the thread.
I really hope that most people were already out to school and work. Schools start early so fingers crossed there were no pre school kids home. I hope I hope I hope. So far they only say two women which is horrific enough goodness knows. They say they only had about a fifteen minute lead time . Hopefully that was enough time to evacuate the majority. Eighteen injured at this time and unfortunatly a few missing.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

No you're not a jerk but you do have the ability to spot one apparently. Sometimes I'm ashamed of my fellow man. Luckily I'm proud more than I'm ashamed. But sometimes boy oh boy....

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

legageddon
"Suspected gas leak apparently, but a blast doesnt usually lead to the collapse of a building. The only time that happens is when it is a controlled "blast" like on the show Blowdown I think it's called. I wonder how many events like this are deemed an accident such as gas leak ETC..."

Really? The only time it happens is during a "controlled blast"? I don't think that's a fact.

Just a short time ago for example, JJ's restaurant in KC was leveled/completely destroyed buy a gas leak.

www.cnn.com...

www.kctv5.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-3-2014 by OatDelphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

You know it's funny, I always wanted to stop by JJ's with the wife. I had heard great things about them and their wine selection, but never found the time to go.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

You know sometimes people have knee jerk reactions to events and then in retrospect kind of regret having said or thought things in that way looking back. Hopefully that person will feel this way too even if they do not apologize which is what I think should be done. We all make bad comments and people deal with stuff in ways that do not always reflect their true self. One horrible comment does not make me hate or discard a member because I too have made mistakes.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
lessons learned, when the people smelled gas they should have evacuated the building until emergency services arrived. You just never think something is going to go so horribly bad. Maybe this will save lives in the future.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OatDelphi

I agree with you on the point of how dangerous natural gas explosions are.

I like to think of it this way to explain to people out there who don't get the picture of what it creates. The most powerful non-nuclear weapon currently known to be in inventories around the world is the Fuel/Air Mixture bomb. Basically, spreading the vapor of a gasoline like substance in atomized form across a huge area before the core explosion makes the super explosion. They say a 5 gallon gas can has the potential energy to blow out an average size department store that way. Natural gas already being gas, of course, and packing more power....?

Oh yeah, by the time you smell it, it's time to very very very carefully leave, quickly...without causing any form of electrical contact or metal on metal anything.

top topics

join