It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Crow, Leader of the RMT Dies Suddenly

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Telegraph

RIP to a proper Union man who really understood what the Labour movement was all about.

I was a member of the RMT for almost 20 Years, Bob was a top bloke and someone who wouldn't let his members get pushed around.

No news on how he died yet, but he did used to get very "passionate" about stuff so a heart attack or stroke isn't out of the question.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
He died of a heart attack. Bob Crow is someone who I had lots of respect for. As you say he was a proper union man and in a lot of ways he was very inspirational. He was born into a working class family in East London, got his first job at 16 and until his death didn't forget his roots. I think he still lived in a council house too. Rest in peace.
edit on 11-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

ProfessorT
He died of a heart attack. Bob Crow is someone who I had lots of respect for. As you say he was a proper union man and in a lot of ways he was very inspirational. He was born into a working class family in East London, got his first job at 16 and until his death didn't forget his roots. I think he still lived in a council house too. Rest in peace.
edit on 11-3-2014 by ProfessorT because: (no reason given)

Yeah, he came in for a bit of stick over living in a council house.

I hope Milwall do something for him on Saturday.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
He liked his food and drink a bit too much so its hardly surprising to see him pop off in some ways but the timing is a bit strange but perhaps the extra stress was just the tipping point even if he had just been on holiday

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

This is a sad day for anyone who supports workers rights in this country.

One might not always have agreed with his methods, choices, and turn of phrase, but he was a stalwart defender of the rights of working people to gain a useful wage from their efforts, and as such will be sorely missed.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Yeah, on £145k a year and living in a Council House (at heavily discounted rents) while other more deserving people wait on the list and pay through the nose in Private rents... I can see why he got stick.

I can't say I agree with any of his politics, but 52 is too young to die and I wish no harm on anyone.

RIP Bob, fair play for standing up for what you believe.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

stumason

Yeah, on £145k a year and living in a Council House (at heavily discounted rents) while other more deserving people wait on the list and pay through the nose in Private rents... I can see why he got stick.

I can't say I agree with any of his politics, but 52 is too young to die and I wish no harm on anyone.

RIP Bob, fair play for standing up for what you believe.

can't say I see anything wrong with him living in a council house.
when I was a kid, most of the dads in our estate had jobs. Some very well paid.

The lack of housing is mostly down to all the housing stock being sold, not bob living in one.

Anyway. I'm quite surprised at some of the eulogies from the great and the good.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Such a beacon for the working classes. Scrounging a council house and going on massive holidays paid for by you and me, all whilst the genuinely hard working people can't get to work because the overpaid glorified button pushers who have to suffer sitting down all day long decide that £50,000 a year isn't enough for them, and that they want a day off every alternate Monday. Good riddance.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Nolimits
Such a beacon for the working classes. Scrounging a council house and going on massive holidays paid for by you and me, all whilst the genuinely hard working people can't get to work because the overpaid glorified button pushers who have to suffer sitting down all day long decide that £50,000 a year isn't enough for them, and that they want a day off every alternate Monday. Good riddance.

LMAO Not a fan, then?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Nolimits

What a complete "BELL END" statement to make.

Dear oh dear.

(post by Nolimits removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

stumason

Yeah, on £145k a year and living in a Council House (at heavily discounted rents) while other more deserving people wait on the list and pay through the nose in Private rents...

And who's fault is that i wonder.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Didn't always agree with his reasoning or his methods but I admired his objectives....and he stayed true to his own values, how many people in public life can say that?

For me this summed up his achievements;

Former mayor Ken Livingstone told Sky News: "He fought really hard for his members. The only working-class people who still have well-paid jobs in London are his members."

www.bbc.co.uk...

I wonder how long that will remain the case now that he's no longer here to fight their corner?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Freeborn
Didn't always agree with his reasoning or his methods but I admired his objectives....and he stayed true to his own values, how many people in public life can say that?

For me this summed up his achievements;

Former mayor Ken Livingstone told Sky News: "He fought really hard for his members. The only working-class people who still have well-paid jobs in London are his members."

www.bbc.co.uk...

I wonder how long that will remain the case now that he's no longer here to fight their corner?

Spot on by Ken, some good ones in The Guardian too. www.theguardian.com...

edit on 14pTue, 11 Mar 2014 07:24:14 -050020142014-03-11T07:24:14-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31uk by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 44pTue, 11 Mar 2014 07:26:44 -050020142014-03-11T07:26:44-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31uk by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
I was...I nearly put my back out pulling shapes.

An honest marxist. One of a kind. So you won't mind the right gloating over the death of this overpaid, overfed thug.

jehova620
reply to post by Nolimits

Not even answering.

Total "NOB END" statement to make.

Your entitled to your opinion, this my opinion.

Pfft.

That would be because I'm right, and because you are too cowardly to face the lefts perpetual hypocrisy, isn't it?

I'm sure all the Marxist BBC luvvies will be out in force today mourning their beloved crow.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Indeed, Council Houses are not for the unemployed but rather the working class.

Whilst not technically wrong, it is certainly morally questionable that he should be "fighting" for the working man while at the same time earning a fortune but getting a cheap house when others who cannot afford to are forced to rent privately. He could have easily afforded to own his own home and not occupy limited social housing stock.

It's just like that other Union chappy (Skargill?) who lived in a central London flat rent free for 20 odd years at the expense of the Miners Union, who had to take him to court to get him out as they couldn't afford to pay for it...

But anyway, I don't think this is the time and place for that debate. The poor chap is dead and his family are grieving, so I'm not going to derail the thread further with a debate about Union politics....

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

stumason

Indeed, Council Houses are not for the unemployed but rather the working class.

Whilst not technically wrong, it is certainly morally questionable that he should be "fighting" for the working man while at the same time earning a fortune but getting a cheap house when others who cannot afford to are forced to rent privately. He could have easily afforded to own his own home and not occupy limited social housing stock.

It's just like that other Union chappy (Skargill?) who lived in a central London flat rent free for 20 odd years at the expense of the Miners Union, who had to take him to court to get him out as they couldn't afford to pay for it...

But anyway, I don't think this is the time and place for that debate. The poor chap is dead and his family are grieving, so I'm not going to derail the thread further with a debate about Union politics....

That's how the left works mate. You pay lots of money to hear lots of people talk lots of rubbish about how people will be more equal, in reality, you get nothing, they get fat and the country goes down the toilet.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jehova620

Hardly, he hasn't actually said anything there that isn't technically true, even if it is slightly facetious and in bad taste...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join