It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: First Aging-reversal Prize Awarded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
In a historic first, Stephen Spindler from the University of California Riverside for research has become the first recipient of the Methuselua Mouse Prize's Age Reversal purse. The breakthrough has been called "astounding" because it works in mice later on in life. The technique extended the lifespan of the mice by an average of 15% and reduced the number of deaths from cancer, the risk of which increases dramatically with age.

www.betterhumans.com
Intervention makes middle-aged mice grow younger

A prize meant to inspire antiaging research has been awarded to a scientist who rejuvenated middle-aged mice, making them grow biologically younger while extending their lifespan.

The first-ever Methuselah Mouse Rejuvenation Prize was awarded to Stephen Spindler of the University of California, Riverside for research called "astounding" because it worked in mice later in life.

The intervention extended the average and maximum lifespan of the mice by 15% and reduced the number of deaths from cancer, the risk of which normally increases with age. DNA microarray analysis�a technique for examining the activity of genes�confirmed that the mice actually became physiologically younger.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well suffice it to say, I look at this as a major breakthrough that can be of great benefit to human society, although I can already hear the start of a controversy on this issue. As I see it this technology has opponents from the Religous Right and from the Technophobic Left (I'm talking extremes here not trying to paint this issue with a big brush). I see it as a rights issue, what right does anyone anywhere have to tell you how long you should live? I however look foward to the day when I can knock off 20 years off my age, I just don't want to have to go to Singapore or China to do it.

[edit on 11-24-2004 by William One Sac]

join