It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tune this weekend - Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Just a small reminder for all of those interested in this series. As previously announced, remake of famous science TV series Cosmos - A Personal Voyage made in 80 by late Carl Sagan and his wife Ann Druyan will start this weekend, Sunday March 9th 9PM EST (8CST) on Fox channels followed by National Geographic channel on Monday. New host, famous astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson will bring us what all has changed in last 34 years since first series. New series name is: Cosmos: A SpaceTime Odyssey - here is link for homepage.

We all should thank Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy producer) who is executive producer of new serial with Sagan's widow. Seth also purchased all Sagan's papers and has made them public by donating to Library of Congress. ( www.loc.gov... ) He said that he has special interest in promoting science and he managed to get financial support for new serial.

Seth MacFarlane had met Druyan through Tyson at the 2008 kickoff event for the Science & Entertainment Exchange, a new Los Angeles office of the National Academy of Sciences, designed to connect Hollywood writers and directors with scientists.[10] A year later, at a 2009 lunch in New York City with Tyson, MacFarlane learned of their interest to re-create Cosmos. He was influenced by Cosmos as a child, believing that Cosmos served to "[bridge] the gap between the academic community and the general public".[10] At the time MacFarlane told Tyson, "I'm at a point in my career where I have some disposable income ... and I’d like to spend it on something worthwhile."[11]

Source: wiki

edit on 5-3-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

The first Cosmos was quite the event and prodded many youngsters into a love affair with science and culture in the late '70's... even though it was simply a TV mini-series. An updated version is a fine idea, as long as it hasn't been too 'dumbed' down, that is.

It's nice to have an easily accessible repository of scientific knowledge for the general public. Hopefully, this attempt will do what the last one did for popularizing science. I just hope they don't have Tyson do a dance with the cartoon baby from Family Guy.

I'll be watching... as long as Lindsey Lohan's show (with Oprah-wooo) doesn't coincide... sigh.

ETA: but shame on them adding "cool" noise to the space scenes!
edit on 3/5/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Looking forward to checking this series out. May need to find the original episodes to watch as well.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I really enjoyed that. Loved the story on how Tyson met Sagen. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I find it ironic that this aired at the same time as ABC's Resurrection which had a sense of reincarnation and religion tied in in a few scenes.

Sadly, I was not able to watch Cosmos as it contradicts my mother's views who had control of the remote at the time. Oh well, such is the story of American youth without a means of unemployment.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

ProphetZoroaster
I really enjoyed that. Loved the story on how Tyson met Sagen. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Yes, that was very personal, he said that story before - he as high school students meeting great man and what he took out of that day with Sagan.

Chimney
I find it ironic that this aired at the same time as ABC's Resurrection which had a sense of reincarnation and religion tied in in a few scenes.

Sadly, I was not able to watch Cosmos as it contradicts my mother's views who had control of the remote at the time. Oh well, such is the story of American youth without a means of unemployment.

Had no idea about that other series, but there were multiple replays even last night. For some reason my DVR decided to record series on regular channel rather then HD, so I had to delete it, and setup HD recording that was already last night. Tonight you can watch it again, as long as you have NG channel - 10PM EST. - channel.nationalgeographic.com...

So far, Dr. Tyson is doing great job on hosting the series. It started a bit harsh toward organized religion with story of Bruno, witch already become subject of high criticism....

www.patheos.com...

EDIT:

Cosmos - A Spacetime Odyssey is available online on Hulu - www.hulu.com...

edit on 10-3-2014 by SuperFrog because: Added link for Hulu

top topics

join