It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterioustranger. I'm back. Thnx Djarms. A word to all.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thank you Djarms so very much! ATS'rs, here a bit of advice:

No matter if we crashed, went dark, white...or intentional and/or unexpected....it should remind us members this.

If what we post here, thread here, get pics n pods we found w links? Then don't expect them to remain in a place, cloud....on a site. All is questionable.

I, as a published writer, musician from a 50's band in the history books, blog writer...and Emergency Management Newsletter publisher....I save EVERYTHING to a 1 T ext drive can toss in a drawer. $40 Best Buy, Amazon.

PC users? Once every 3-6 months, I click My Computer/C Drive...and Highlight ALL...and drag it into my external.

It's a good practice. Clouds and sites, storage "facilities" among others...don't just leave your stuff on any site. Especially if it's not ours.

Glad I'm back, tho some may not be...but since 2010...I'm in for the long-haul.

Now...we all got keys to the truck...

God Bless, Love to you all. Mysterioustranger.

edit on 11232730America/ChicagoWed, 01 Nov 2023 09:28:27 -050028202300000027 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Excellent advice. I've been saving important things to hard drives for 18 years.

Interestingly, as the hard drives grew larger over the years, so did each individual photo or video saved to the hard drives.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

NMy clueless niece and her mom( from Europe, no excuse!)...1 had 652Gs...!!!... in her recycle bin. She thought it for saving so you didn't lose anything!

I highlighted hit DELETE... her computer about lept off the table in speed...

Thnx..

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:35 AM
link   
My threads have always been saved, and I'm in the process of getting them transferred to printed book format (which might, in case of real disaster, last longer than the internet).

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I've never posted anything worth saving. A few stories here and there and any pics I've posted are either just something off the internet or personal pics like pets or fish I've caught are already saved.

I've heard the site is paid for till May, but they could pull the plug at any time. There are several sites ATS members have migrated to, so if it goes down, we can all still keep in touch.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I've never posted anything worth saving. A few stories here and there and any pics I've posted are either just something off the internet or personal pics like pets or fish I've caught are already saved.

I've heard the site is paid for till May, but they could pull the plug at any time. There are several sites ATS members have migrated to, so if it goes down, we can all still keep in touch.

DAVE? You frequently post stuff worth saving👍😁

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hey, got back to the old profile, good for you. Personally, I doubt it will last for long.

All good advice, something I've been doing for years now. I really got serious the last time ATS went out for a week, I believe that was either Dec. of 2020 or Jan. of 2021.

At that time I did an in-depth search for similar forums to join and backed up everything I felt was important from forums and social media. I even created my own forum board to post threads on before other places like here. I then save the threads and posts as offline pages on my own private network on three HDs as well as two cloud storage accounts. I have my most important information on thumb drives for the BOB or to hide somewhere if it's not safe to carry it.

I could hook up my private network so it will access the internet and allow me access online, Norton has a product to do that, but I don't need them and could do that myself in Windows. I don't think I'll be doing that unless I have to.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMichiganSwampBuck

Yep...as much as I preach about always saving off-site, I too missed a couple.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Backup already prepared on standby.

new topics

top topics

join