It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British TV Presenter Refuses To Use Guest's Preferred Pronouns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   
www.timesnownews.com...

A segment on British-based Channel TalkTV took an unexpected turn when anchor Julia Hartley-Brewer pushed back on a guest who introduced herself as they/them. The incident occured during a live broadcast, causing a stir among viewers and sparking a debate on the issue of gender identity and language usage in the media

There is nothing controversial when you call a female person using the correct pronouns we all know: she/her. The TV presenter said she is using the correct grammar and she is 100% correct. You can't expect others to use your preferred pronouns and nobody is obliged to follow your mindset and beliefs. I think this has to become the norm again after all these years of abuse of common sense.
edit on 17-4-2024 by Consvoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Consvoli

TalkTV is a Right Wing TV channel and Julia Hartley-Brewer is notoriously outspoken on these issues , no problem with that but it's hardly surprising that she refused to call the guest "they/them" , I doubt any TalkTV viewers were surprised by that either unless they thought they were watching the BBC.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

TalkTV is a Right Wing TV channel and Julia Hartley-Brewer is notoriously outspoken on these issues , no problem with that but it's hardly surprising that she refused to call the guest "they/them" , I doubt any TalkTV viewers were surprised by that either unless they thought they were watching the BBC.

Right or left wing doesn't really matter.
What matters is common sense. It's a female person so we call her a 'she' or referring to 'her'. Them/they are not the correct words to use.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   

What matters is common sense.

I think it does matter for issues like this , if she / they / them was being interviewed on a main stream channel they would have likely called her / they / them by their chosen pronoun.

Common sense would be to not get upset about things that don't really matter , what someone chooses to call themselves is a matter for them and those who choose to play along.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Im just going to say this...

FFS here we again.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 11:25 AM
link   

This zeitgeist movement has been fueled by all those who have been getting overly hysterical about it for years. All those who are on the normal ideological spectrum find this progressive movement quiet annoying (but don't fear it), that is the majority of all people i guess. Radicals feed on this issue, so in a certain sense they are always dependent on things they hate. This issue is so insignificant at its core and for the future of us all, and yet so many waste so much energy on it.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: malte86

Yes. Noone gives a monkey's except for a few idiots.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The whole LGBTQWERTY movement is a politically motivated load of crap. My son is trans; he and every one of his 'other than' friends absolutely loathe the entire agenda. They just want to live their lives peacefully, without a bunch of controversial attention that all too often ends in violence.

Take a look back on the last few presidencies. Promoting issues to get people focused on fighting each other has only benefitted the government and swamp critters that feed off of our division. You can see which administrations have gone out of their way to split the population into hate-filled groups, and actually create and fund many of them.

Keep in mind nothing political happens by accident; it was all planned well in advance. Woe be to any non-career politician that trys to break the cycle and free the people.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
The whole LGBTQWERTY movement is a politically motivated load of crap. My son is trans; he and every one of his 'other than' friends absolutely loathe the entire agenda. They just want to live their lives peacefully, without a bunch of controversial attention that all too often ends in violence.

Take a look back on the last few presidencies. Promoting issues to get people focused on fighting each other has only benefitted the government and swamp critters that feed off of our division. You can see which administrations have gone out of their way to split the population into hate-filled groups, and actually create and fund many of them.

Keep in mind nothing political happens by accident; it was all planned well in advance. Woe be to any non-career politician that trys to break the cycle and free the people.

This movement exists solely because the Internet exists. Its Zeitgeist, has nothing or little to do with politics, its more a society thing i guess.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

What matters is common sense.

I think it does matter for issues like this , if she / they / them was being interviewed on a main stream channel they would have likely called her / they / them by their chosen pronoun.

Common sense would be to not get upset about things that don't really matter , what someone chooses to call themselves is a matter for them and those who choose to play along.

If you want to abandon common sense and refer to her as them/they then it's up to you. Them/they is plural but somehow it's used to refer to one person as part of the gender identity ideology.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

It's just kinda funny how the ones saying it's "not a big deal" are the ones making it a big deal, like the guest in this scenario. They can get over it, not everyone is going to fall in line with what they want. Maybe we could start using the oppression card by saying that it's oppressive to make us call them what they want to be called instead of what makes sense biologically?
edit on 17-4-2024 by ImagoDei because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ImagoDei

Apologies, misread your post.
edit on 17-4-2024 by NorthOS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImagoDei

It's just kinda funny how the ones saying it's "not a big deal" are the ones making it a big deal, like the guest in this scenario. They can get over it, not everyone is going to fall in line with what they want. Maybe we could start using the oppression card by saying that it's oppressive to make us call them what they want to be called instead of what makes sense biologically?

Biological science has been conveniently disregarded for some 'strange' reason.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Refusing to use someone's preferred pronouns is every bit as rude as refusing to use a person's given name.

Perhaps even more so, since, for most people, their name is "bestowed" upon them by others (parents/guardians/tribe), whereas one's gender identity, especially if that identity is not the one "assigned" at birth, is even more personal, as it is intrinsic to how that person experiences themselves.

I do not understand how being openly rude to each other is somehow to be conflated with "anti-woke"-ness, and therefore some great boon for common sense and community.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

It is very rude to expect somebody to call you something you’re not, then get angry about it.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Refusing to use someone's preferred pronouns is every bit as rude as refusing to use a person's given name.

Perhaps even more so, since, for most people, their name is "bestowed" upon them by others (parents/guardians/tribe), whereas one's gender identity, especially if that identity is not the one "assigned" at birth, is even more personal, as it is intrinsic to how that person experiences themselves.

I do not understand how being openly rude to each other is somehow to be conflated with "anti-woke"-ness, and therefore some great boon for common sense and community.

What's wrong with refusing to call a female person a 'he' or refusing to refer to her as 'him'?

I should be getting a medal for upholding common sense.

Gender is not 'assigned' at birth. Nobody assigns you the gender you belong to and is not a matter of personal opinions and determinations by others. Gender is written upon your genes.

Gender 'assignment' is part of this gender identity ideology. Nothing to take seriously.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ImagoDei

It's just kinda funny how the ones saying it's "not a big deal" are the ones making it a big deal, like the guest in this scenario.

This this THIS !!!!

They demand you use their words and when you say bugger off they act like you're the one with the hang up.

Shouldn't this TV personality be in prison though? Fined ? I'm not from the UK so I don't know but I thought they had passed draconian laws about "miss gendering " people (which of course means you're using the actual correct gender).

Everytime I think how scary America has become I see some thing from the UK that blows my mind. Like recently they put someone in jail (prison?) for making bumper stickers.

ETA - I guess the laws I'm talking about where it's a crime to misgender someone is just for Scotland?

edit on 5300416America/Chicagopm17 by 5thHead because: Scotland

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

If we wanted to learn what you want to be called we wouldn't be using pronouns in the first place.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Its not right wing talk, its just common sense.
I do like Julia. She is not afraid so speak her mind on numerous issues not just this one.

posted on Apr, 17 2024 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

No matter how much you or anyone else cries about it, I refuse to participate in anybody’s delusional fantasy world, where I have to play pretend “I’m something I’m not” with them. I’m not going to start calling women men and men women, sorry not sorry, not doing it.

One thing I’ve noticed about society nowadays is that certain groups have taken the liberty to redefine the dictionary, science, etc… and think everyone has to just play along with it and normalize whatever they’re selling. What’s even crazier to me than the people selling the delusion is the amount of people that buy into their nonsense. Some of these people doing so don’t even know what they’re supporting. The lack of knowledge some pro Palestinian supporters have is a good example. All they know is to scream genocide, free palestine and from the river to the see as loud as they can but they couldn’t find Gaza on a map if their life depended on it.
edit on 17-4-2024 by KrustyKrab because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join