It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SkyQuakes Not Being Caused By Seismic Activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
An interesting phenomenon, skyquakes have been recorded throughout history. (Or at least since the Louis and Clark expedition
) The general consensus among scientists is that these loud booms in an otherwise clear sky are usually caused by large movements of the earth, fault lines moving against one another etc..

There have also been recent cases in the US, where the booms shake the ground and are recorded on seismographs. These cases are usually attributed to secret aircraft testing, as I can think of a few cases where the seismographs recorded the booms travelling up the coastlines at tremendous speeds.

Now in India, there have been blasts coming from the sky, and a research team there has concluded that the booms are not being caused by earth movements. However, they are causing the ground to "jerk."

Senior IMD team member K C Kondal said, ��Our observation suggests that the blast and jerks experienced in the region are not related to any earthquake.�� Elaborating further, Kondal said, ��An earthquake produces waves from which its epicentre and intensity can be measured. But here, the phenomenon is localised and superficial. Jerks observed here are limited to small areas and often not recorded.��

cities.expressindia.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I would point out that these may well be the surface expression of high altitude detonating meteor impacts.

I have posted in a few threads about these: Relatively small asteroid/meteors, around 20-30 meters in diameter that strike the upper atmosphere and usually explode (with megaton yields) at upwards of 100,000 feet altitude.

These have been documented by the US KillSats that constantly scan for any possible nuclear detonations on the planet. They document an average of about 5 such impacts on the planet per year.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think Dragonrider has an excellent theory there. It requires no weird phenomina and it does answer the traveling boom and other reported evidences.

I like it!

(uhoh! DR and I agreed on something else! It's the end of the world for SURE!
)

[Edited on 4-9-2003 by Byrd]

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
That is -EXACTLY- my line of thought here. Byrd, I invite you to read the following article...www.usm.maine.edu/~planet/tung.html
It'll totally explain what DR's talking about. Peace.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It does indeed explain the travelling booms theory, however I cant see something like that occurring in one region over prolonged periods of time, like in India. It would mean that the matter is coming in from all different angles, but striking the earths atmosphere at exactly the same spot as the earth rotates, travels around the sun, and travels through space. Unless of course it is orbiting the earth....
I suppose then it is possible.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
It does indeed explain the travelling booms theory, however I cant see something like that occurring in one region over prolonged periods of time, like in India. It would mean that the matter is coming in from all different angles, but striking the earths atmosphere at exactly the same spot as the earth rotates, travels around the sun, and travels through space. Unless of course it is orbiting the earth....
I suppose then it is possible.

I could see it being possible that a small swarm of such asteroids could end up being trapped in the planets gravity well at about the same time. If they were all coming from the same general area, travelling in roughly the same direction, they would end up in roughly equal orbits, and would likely reenter in the same region one at a time.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think that I like the water and limestone theory myself. This I think would lead to a more or less localized surface phenomena. a lot of noise, but not much in the way of seismic activity.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by copcorn
I think that I like the water and limestone theory myself. This I think would lead to a more or less localized surface phenomena. a lot of noise, but not much in the way of seismic activity.

Please expand on this theory, I would like to hear it.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think dragonrider has a sound theory. It makes a lot of sense.

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I must confess that I don't know much about the geology of the region. For that reason, I could be totally off base. But, excess water in a limestone formation close to the surface would possibly be eroded by the excess water present, causing various shifts of the local strata. If the shifts were very close to the surface, and the local strata were such that the ground waves were damped, I could see more energy being expended in to the atmosphere as sound and less in to ground waves. Just an idea, possibly a load of crap.

I have a problem with the blasts being caused by meteor swarm being in the same orbit. The problem is that the orbit is independent of the position of the ground. I think it is unlikely that they would be timed in such a way as to impact in the same place.

How much does India spend on "Black Budget Military Items"?

Pranksters? A friend of mine used to fill large baloons with acetelyne and oxygen, and let them go with a fuse. Always made a very satisfying boom. Same thing with methane and oxygen filled garbage bags. Maybe something a bit larger?

Sonic Booms? I would guess that they have an inventory of supersonic fighters.

Mass Hysteria?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So this is not a new .These rumblings have been going on for some time.

new topics

top topics

join