It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet including AboveTopSecret could be a ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   
is it just me, or are there others that believe that the internet may be a conspiracy, a way for the government to find out about our personailty etc... .

They could be monitoring us. Millions of people fall aslave for their computers, for what? whats so interesting about the internet, can it be that we are being brainwashed?

Also of all the websites out there about conspiracy, i would expect this one to be one made by the government.
There are so many people on this forum that it can lead talk about this kind of a stuff that it would be the perfect way to find out.

Just an opinion tough, im not saying this site is being run by the govt., as to i've talked to the mod several times lol

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Dude, ATS is not tracking you as far as I know, but all governments monitor where you go. The internet is not at all anonymous.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Impossibe

No, the technology does not currently exist to track everyone's online activities.

Take for example, one site... Yahoo. I have recently become somewhat familiar with Yahoo's internal tracking techniques of it's registered users (over 500 million) across all their "content channels". While Yahoo is extremely large as websites go, it represents less than 0.1% of the entire Internet. On a daily basis, Yahoo collects 2 terabytes (2,000 gigabytes) of data on the utilization patterns of its users. This tracking content is used to target advertising within Yahoo.

Now, translate that data to the entire Internet, and you see how impossible this tracking becomes.

This idea that you can be easily tracked is a myth. The only way such tracking can occur is for someone to place a stand-alone server (as part of Echelon) on your ISP's network, dedicated to watching the packet activity of your IP.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I can understand your initial thought but like william said the internet iss far to big to track everything you do. Who know maybe that was the reason the internet was first created and its a failed experiment.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I respectfully disagree, William. At least in America, U.K., Australia, NZ, and Canada, everywhere you go is logged. It is done by computers, looking for sites you go to that can cause problems. Of course, there are way too many people to monitor, it looks for people who repeatedly hit sites contrary to global security. I have no problem with that. I am sure I was a target before because I read news from all over the world, inclucing Arab papers.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by William
The only way such tracking can occur is for someone to place a stand-alone server (as part of Echelon) on your ISP's network, dedicated to watching the packet activity of your IP.

i've heard that isp's such as earthlink has already agreed to take part in such a program.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Since 9/11 America has enjoyed a bout of cutting down on anymosity. Yes, Echelon was wat I was getting at. America denies it exists, Australia admitted to its existance.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
They can't track me, I'm too fast for them.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
I respectfully disagree, William. At least in America, U.K., Australia, NZ, and Canada, everywhere you go is logged. It is done by computers, looking for sites you go to that can cause problems. Of course, there are way too many people to monitor, it looks for people who repeatedly hit sites contrary to global security. I have no problem with that. I am sure I was a target before because I read news from all over the world, inclucing Arab papers.

I have a degree of first-hand knowledge about what is, and what is not installed and functioning at both major and minor ISP's. The information you are peddling is alarmist nonsense. There are currently no systems that do this style of key-word monitoring of broad internet packets. It is simply impossible and demonstrates a level of paranoia, rather than familiarity with the technologies involved.

To accomplish the task you suggest, would require a near real-time duplication of all packets for redirection, parsing, decoding, and storage. It would also require such a pervasive level of cooperation of technology companies, backbone providers, and ISP's that we would certainly have heard about this by now.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Here's a link, it is not what I am getting at, but Google is in the business of tracking people. zdnet.com.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:23 AM
link   
NSA & Google...
www.google-watch.org...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Good link. As I keep saying their is no such thing as being anonymous on the internet.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I would daresay that even if every individual on the planet, or even in the country could not be tracked (I kinda think it more possible than people say), that those of us on ATS have likely attracted enough attention to ourselves that WE are indeed being tracked...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
more on earthlink/mindspring...

Internet Service Provider (ISP) Earthlink is owned by the notorious NET CENSOR and masters of co-optation, the Church of Scientology (Co$). During 1999, in its quest to acquire greater market share (mindshare) in the ISP market, Earthlink/Co$ took over the service provider Mindspring. If you are a subscriber to either Earthlink or Mindspring, be advised that you are supporting the Co$ with your money and may be subject to their censorship policies and invasions of your privacy.

src: shadow.autono.net...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Here's a link, it is not what I am getting at, but Google is in the business of tracking people. zdnet.com.com...

That's only if you download and use the Google toolbar... and has nothing to do with performing searches on the search engine.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My daughter english teacher is american and she told me that many US citizens were afraid because they think that their emails and internet activities are monitored by the US gov.

Since she don't like Bush but like Clinton, I'm not sure if I can trust her.

Also, it's easy to track someone, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to track everyones in the same times.Too much datas.
But it's pretty easy to monitor just some sites, i.e conspiracy sites( ATS
).

I agree with william, it's a myth. At least, it's STILL a myth.

P.S : Anyway we already have an FBI agent on ATS, so...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by echelon
more on earthlink/mindspring...

Internet Service Provider (ISP) Earthlink is owned by the notorious NET CENSOR and masters of co-optation, the Church of Scientology (Co$).

Apparently, your information on Earthlink is dated. They are a public company.
www.corporate-ir.net...

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by William

I have a degree of first-hand knowledge about what is, and what is not installed and functioning at both major and minor ISP's. The information you are peddling is alarmist nonsense. There are currently no systems that do this style of key-word monitoring of broad internet packets. It is simply impossible and demonstrates a level of paranoia, rather than familiarity with the technologies involved.

To accomplish the task you suggest, would require a near real-time duplication of all packets for redirection, parsing, decoding, and storage. It would also require such a pervasive level of cooperation of technology companies, backbone providers, and ISP's that we would certainly have heard about this by now.

i also respectfully disagree William. the only reason the military released the internet [www.] for human consumption was because they have developed something far superior and they have the www. in their pocket and know exactly who is on it what they are thinking where they live etc....
why do you think FEMA has concentration camps all over the U.S., [ to house the homless?]
what do you think the Patriot Act is all about? it's about dissedents not Al Queda living in Amerika!
where do you think all the Nazi's went after WW2 , Mexico?
i can not belive you would be this naive, you must therefore be one of them
with all do respect

tut tut

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
But it's pretty easy to monitor just some sites, i.e conspiracy sites( ATS
).

Not my server!

For those who aren't aware... ATS is on its own server, not on an account with a multi-web hosting service.

posted on Jun, 16 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tututkameni also respectfully disagree William. the only reason the military released the internet [www.] for human consumption was because they have developed something far superior and they have the www. in their pocket

r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-right.

I suppose there's nothing anyone can do about unfounded paranoia based on misinformation.

If you were to learn about the underlying technologies (the real history of the Internet), the way in which the Internet functions, and the staggering amount of data transfered by one small suburban ISP with one T-1, you may begin to have a degree of skepticism.

(By the way, the Internet was not released, it was taken.)

I have one question for the techno-paranoics... with the pervasive problem of illegal SPAM costing billions of dollars and breaking several real laws... why can't "they" simply shut down the spammers? After all, if "they" as you say know everything, they certainly know who is doing the illegal spamming. And, wouldn't the job of these government techno-trackers be much easier without all that illegal spam cluttering the pipe?

(By conservative industry estimates, unsolicited SPAM e-mail accounts for just over 30% of all internet traffic and costs an estimated $7billion dollars in bandwidth every day. Also, about 42% of all spam breaks at least three laws.)

Explain that. Why haven't "they" stopped SPAM?

[Edited on 16-6-2003 by William]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join