It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is now accepting applications from companies that want to mine the moon

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
NASA may wish to check with the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs before entering into mining contracts. I believe that the UN ratified an agreement in 1967, setting out fairly strict limitations on ownership and exploitation of outer space along the following lines:

The Outer Space Treaty provides the basic framework on international space law, including the following principles:

the exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries and shall be the province of all mankind;
outer space shall be free for exploration and use by all States;
outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means;
States shall not place nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction in orbit or on celestial bodies or station them in outer space in any other manner;
the Moon and other celestial bodies shall be used exclusively for peaceful purposes;
astronauts shall be regarded as the envoys of mankind;
States shall be responsible for national space activities whether carried out by governmental or non-governmental entities;
States shall be liable for damage caused by their space objects; and
States shall avoid harmful contamination of space and celestial bodies.

UN Office of Outer Space Affairs

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

FartyMeBurpy
NASA may wish to check with the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs before entering into mining contracts. I believe that the UN ratified an agreement in 1967, setting out fairly strict limitations on ownership and exploitation of outer space along the following lines:

The Outer Space Treaty provides the basic framework on international space law, including the following principles:

the exploration and use of outer space shall be carried out for the benefit and in the interests of all countries and shall be the province of all mankind;
outer space shall be free for exploration and use by all States;
outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means;
States shall not place nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction in orbit or on celestial bodies or station them in outer space in any other manner;
the Moon and other celestial bodies shall be used exclusively for peaceful purposes;
astronauts shall be regarded as the envoys of mankind;
States shall be responsible for national space activities whether carried out by governmental or non-governmental entities;
States shall be liable for damage caused by their space objects; and
States shall avoid harmful contamination of space and celestial bodies.

UN Office of Outer Space Affairs

Yeah, because no one ever defies th U.N....

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Personally, i think any corporation that has the clout to mine the moon, ought to go the full hog and build their own rockets and equipment and tell NASA they can hitch a ride for a fee.

NASA isn't what it once was. If anything, the Russians stand more prospects of issuing applications than NASA does, seeing as though NASA have to go cap in hand to the Russians everytime they want to go into space these days.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

If NASA are offering this then i think i will be offering the same. No one owns the moon so im taking my slice now..

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FartyMeBurpy

NASA may wish to check with the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs before entering into mining contracts.

Once again, NASA is not entering into any mining contracts. Also, you will note that the UN treaty is binding on governments, not private corporations. There is currently a debate about the nature of property rights on extraterrestrial bodies. The earlier framework was patterned after Antarctic treaties. Both Antarctic and Interplanetary Law will be evolving rapidly in the next few years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join