It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst-Case Scenario for Oil Sands Industry Has Come to Life, Leaked Document Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thanks to courageous people leaking documents and to Wikileaks for providing a somewhat secure method for publishing such documents we find out a bit more about big business practise:

This is the kind of thing you come to expect from big business but it is good to see that people in these outfits are willing to take a huge personal risk to get proof of EVIL doing to WE THE PEOPLE.

The December 2010 presentation by Strategic Forecasting, or Stratfor, a global intelligence firm based in Texas, mostly advised oil sands companies to ignore or limit reaction to the then-burgeoning tar sands opposition movement because "activists lack influence in politics." But there was a buried warning for industry under one scenario: Letting the movement grow unopposed may bring about "the most significant environmental campaign of the decade."

Thank you, anonymous leakers, for naming names. Now we need to know the owners (likely a private capital cabal).

The actual documentment can be found and reviewed with the original article at:

insideclimatenews.org...

When it comes to environmentalism - we need to make decisions as a people based on facts not the PR spin, disinformation and proganda of big business where the only consideration is making profits and externalizing thier actual costs of doing business on to taxpapers worlwide.

edit on 6-12-2013 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

I would also add the following to the end of your monologue:

When it comes to environmentalism - we need to make decisions as a people based on facts not the PR spin, disinformation and propaganda of environmentalists where the only consideration is making profits and depressing human activity in the hopes or returning us to a lost Eden that never was.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

SirMike

I would also add the following to the end of your monologue:

When it comes to environmentalism - we need to make decisions as a people based on facts not the PR spin, disinformation and propaganda of environmentalists where the only consideration is making profits and depressing human activity in the hopes or returning us to a lost Eden that never was.

No, SirMike (?)

I don't want to go back to any "good ole days" I want to move forward towards a new "Eden" that never will be but is in the correct direction. Move your feet forward not backward; do the right thing because it is the right thing, not for fame, profit or power, just because it's the right thing for you and others (expand your worldview).

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The problem as I see it is that Canada (a crown coop.) is like the religious priests to circumvent the process and create laws that advance other Corporations in making profits ..It doesn't seem to matter which party us fools may elect they will still carry out the wishes of the ones who are doing the most harm and passing along (by taxes) to we the people that elect them to do so ....It's like we get to elect our favorite dictator for the next 4 years ...sucks

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
ummm ??? dont get it? so what is this big problem prossesing oilsands or shale ??
is this just a poltics thing??
didnt see anything saying prossesing oilsands or shale is bad behond what we know for the enevermint.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

FyreByrd]/quote]

When it comes to environmentalism - we need to make decisions as a people based on facts not the PR spin, disinformation and proganda of big business where the only consideration is making profits and externalizing their actual costs of doing business on to taxpapers worlwide.

The environmental movement uses PR spin, disinformation and propaganda far more then big business ever has.

And losses to big business pales in comparison to the public's wallets from the needless rules and regs brought on by the PR spin, disinformation and propaganda by the environmental movement.

Just the cost to the taxpayers of building and maintaining public roads has increased x6 to x8 times because of the environmental movement.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's 40 below where I live today.

Until scientists can come up with a cheap, efficient alternative to natural gas (which my home uses to produce heat) and natural gas extraction forms a very large % of the Canadian Tar/Oil Sands business, I thank the heavens for the heat provided by this 'monstrous' industry.

Yeah all of the hippies in California and Florida (where 40 below is a foreign concept) can rail against the Alberta Tar Sands, but until more people are put into researching alternatives rather then developing the next cool app for your smart phone, then I'll keep my heat thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Tar sands oil is 1000x worse than crude if spilled due to the toxic witch's brew of chemicals required to make it fluid enough to pump through the pipeline.
It creates hardly any jobs other than during construction and the pipeline is guaranteed to break and leak far more often than regular petroleum products to it's corrosive constituents.
Ask the people of Mayflower Arkansas how lovely a tar sands oil spill is.
Oh, that's right - you can't.
They all had to leave to keep from getting ill.

Let's not forget the keystone pipeline runs through the sand hills of South Dakota and directly over the largest aquifier in the Midwest. Breaks in the line are guaranteed to poison the water for millions of people and thousands of farms.

It's not worth it for the oil companies to rake in a few extra billion.
The people are on the losing end of the proposition.
Kudos to those who have stood in the way of pipeline construction at great personal cost and risk.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
Tar sands oil is 1000x worse than crude if spilled due to the toxic witch's brew of chemicals required to make it fluid enough to pump through the pipeline.
It creates hardly any jobs other than during construction and the pipeline is guaranteed to break and leak far more often than regular petroleum products to it's corrosive constituents.
Ask the people of Mayflower Arkansas how lovely a tar sands oil spill is.
Oh, that's right - you can't.
They all had to leave to keep from getting ill.

The irony here, folks, is that if a dedicated bitumen pipeline (cough...keystone...cough) was carrying the product, there never would have been a spill.

Crude and dilbit are different products, and require different pipe coatings. Continuing to force dilbit through crude lines is a surefire recipe for disaster.

Even better, thanks to Buffet and Steyer, we may end up shipping this all via train...the absolute worst (environmentally speaking) transportation method available....yea!

But, don't fret, Buffet and Steyer will spend the billions they will make from it on clean up...just like the oil companies currently do...snicker.

Sorry, I'm trying to not make light of this situation, but watching people complain about the oil industry via a product from one of the most oil intensive manufacturing process' is...well, humorous..

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

There have already been over 300 leaks with serious environmental damage all mostly unreported. People keep selling their land at dirt cheap prices under threat of eminent domain. Oh and in California you now have to pay 5,000 to apply for a permit to protest fracking, wonder how long til it's the same in other states to protest the pipeline.
edit on 12/6/2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

So you're saying that new oil pipelines would never leak?
Yep and the air in South Manhattan was safe to breathe, we all trust the EPA and oil companies ::cough::
What's so humorous about discouraging wasteful and hazardous methods of energy production?
Are there not safer, more sustainable and cost-effective methods of energy production we should be investing in?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

The problem as I see it is that Canada (a crown coop.) is like the religious priests to circumvent the process and create laws that advance other Corporations in making profits ..It doesn't seem to matter which party us fools may elect they will still carry out the wishes of the ones who are doing the most harm and passing along (by taxes) to we the people that elect them to do so ....It's like we get to elect our favorite dictator for the next 4 years ...sucks

Canadians are just as crazy as the rest of the world. We don't elect the best person for the job, we just vote to kick the wrong person out of office.
Currently I am happy with the Premier of Saskatchewan. He has done a good job so far, in my eyes.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
reply to post by peck420

So you're saying that new oil pipelines would never leak?
Yep and the air in South Manhattan was safe to breathe, we all trust the EPA and oil companies ::cough::
What's so humorous about discouraging wasteful and hazardous methods of energy production?
Are there not safer, more sustainable and cost-effective methods of energy production we should be investing in?

For sure there is! However, those companies don't have the money for the expensive lobbyists, nor the money to give ex-heads of governments cushy jobs. What happened to Obama's push for alternative energy?

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Goldcurrent
It's 40 below where I live today.

Until scientists can come up with a cheap, efficient alternative to natural gas (which my home uses to produce heat) and natural gas extraction forms a very large % of the Canadian Tar/Oil Sands business, I thank the heavens for the heat provided by this 'monstrous' industry.

Yeah all of the hippies in California and Florida (where 40 below is a foreign concept) can rail against the Alberta Tar Sands, but until more people are put into researching alternatives rather then developing the next cool app for your smart phone, then I'll keep my heat thank you very much.

It was rather chilly today wasn't it?

I'm happy with my natural gas as well. I would be even happier living near the coast in the sun where freezing to death isn't even a thought.

I'm not worried. If the US doesn't want to buy it, China will.

new topics

top topics

join