It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2600 Years Old Monolith Discovered in Peru

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Reading while posting, another great discovery in this land of mysteries.

A monolith than 2,600 years old, belonging to the formative period, was found in Querocoto district in the province of Chota (Cajamarca). This was informed by the director of the archaeological project Pacopampa, Yuji Seki.

The discovery, which was found at the main entrance of the temple of Pacopampa, has the representation of a man-jaguar. In addition, it was learned that the monolith is covered, as it still does not have the funds to start your restoration.

The excavations that resulted in this discovery began in August. The studies were funded by the Japanese government. On the academic side, the project was supported by the Universidad Mayor de San Marcos.

elcomercio.pe...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Smaller than I imagined when I read "monolith", but cool find nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Interesting discovery, but what funds are they talking about ?

Enough funds to buy a shovel, some brushes and 2 natives on a donkey to pull it out ?

Judging from the looks of that thing that is work for one afternoon.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Just as Slayer mentioned before I was also expecting something slightly larger in size. But it is a very good discovery still.

There is still so much to uncover in the Andes that our children and probably their children will still be reading stories like these in years to come.

edit on 7-9-2013 by Eniii because: .

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eniii
reply to post by Chamberf=6

You and me both mate.

The monolith is not too big in size but it is in archaeological terms. It's characteristics indicate it can be part of a temple or similar. It is not a plain rock. Not Stanley K. Monolith neither, real terms for sure.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Just as Slayer mentioned before I was also expecting something slightly larger in size. But it is a very good discovery still.

There is still so much to uncover in the Andes that our children and probably their children will still be reading stories like these in years to come.

Considering the size of the earth and the amount of land & sea surface we will be pulling archaeological stuff out of the dark for hundreds if not thousands of years into the future. Much less than 1% of the worlds land surface has been archaeological surveyed. and much less than 1/100 of 1% has been excavated.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Nice find but the word should be be 'stelae' not monolith......technically speaking......

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Agreed. Like Raimondi's right?

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Considering the size of the earth and the amount of land & sea surface we will be pulling archaeological stuff out of the dark for hundreds if not thousands of years into the future. Much less than 1% of the worlds land surface has been archaeological surveyed. and much less than 1/100 of 1% has been excavated.

Is that straight up revised present tense figures you state cob? Not that I doubt you,I just find that frickin incredible!!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hello, I just read some more information. The monolith seems to be very important for different reasons. It's the only one of it's type found in Peru, that means a lot. Also it is in great conditions because it was carefully buried by ancient people when they got dominated by other culture. That's smells a bit like an ancient conspiracy, what secrets did they want to protect?

RAW TRANSLATION :

They had unearthed a stone structure 1.5 meters long and about 250 pounds. It was a monolith from the beginning adorned the main entrance of the sacred precinct , but then , with the arrival of the Cajamarca culture , was buried in the midst of a ritual . Researchers estimate that would have a 2,800-year old .

There is one more of the monoliths that are known, but it is the representation of a man - jaguar. It had been carefully located near the edge of the staircase that connects the two platforms of the temple.

Seki analyzed and confirmed that you can identify an anthropomorphic being with unique features like the eyes carved in low relief , teeth , nose and mouth large and arms clasped ending in . In the lower part has a loincloth.

SIGN OF RESPECT
Japanese researcher says Yuji Seki anthropomorphic design ( half human and half feline ) means that the stone sculpture was half that the rulers of the time used to transmit their ideology. Assume that figure implies that the priest or priestess had the power or the ability to transform or communicate with spirits in these types of animals.

The location of the monolith found in Pacopampa also key in understanding the cosmology of the time. Seki adds that the axis which is the monolith coincides with other evidence found on the premises , as the tomb of Lady Pacopampa , found on the main platform of the last terrace of the temple.

The monolith is unique because there is no other like it in the country. Also reveals new information about the temple and the role this had in Pacopampa civilization .

Japanese researcher reports that the monolith did not always remain buried . Initially income remained in the temple but then , with the arrival of other civilizations , its inhabitants buried it carefully for fear and respect.

elcomercio.pe...

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Well would it be wrong to note it would look GREAT in my garden?

top topics

join