It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your passion?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

I had to reply to you Outrageo, to thank you for quite a bit of education, imparted with grace, simplicity and a great example of authentic passion. One of the many reasons I wanted to try and make a thread like this, is what you just exemplified here, in our brief interaction. You taught me quite a bit......but the best part is when someone is truly passionate about something, it comes across immediately and intensely. The best parts of that person come out in those moments, usually, when one is involved in expressing one's passion for a concept idea, etc.

Thank you so much for the information, and sharing something of yourself and teaching me while doing so.....
Not only that, but a chance to really see the biggest picture and being reassured by how much I don't know, which sometimes, oddly, can be the most comfort when you're feeling a lack of hope....

Take care, and please continue to add information or share more of yourself...and your knowledge.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
My passion is to be one of those people who move our species forward. Not just consume other peoples efforts and ideas leaving behind nothing but a tombstone and a few photos..

Call it ego, but I want to be remembered for making a difference.

Sounds shallow, but it drives me.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

" Is there not anything that makes you tick"

There are billions of people out there, who's only goal in life is to exist. Maybe breed at best in the hopes their children do something useful.

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
My passion is to be one of those people who move our species forward. Not just consume other peoples efforts and ideas leaving behind nothing but a tombstone and a few photos..

Call it ego, but I want to be remembered for making a difference.

Sounds shallow, but it drives me.

Sorry it took me a little while to reply to you, thedeadtruth. I find your membername fascinating, off topic; on topic, I sure appreciate your reading and response, and do not find it shallow in the least.

Especially, your first two sentences....talking about moving our species forward, and not consuming other people's efforts and ideas.....and the rest. Two sentences that, quite frankly, say a whole lot, IMHO. I don't know if it was this thread or another that I've talked about how exploitative our species has become, and that somehow nature even seems to be evolving more and more this way. I that a natural evolution, an energy that is just in the "air," as people seem to be more and more this way? It seems to have become either a part of or even completely, for some, the perception of being successful. It isn't enough anymore to do your best, concentrate on doing whatever it is that you do the very best you can accomplish. You have to be willing, and sometimes it even seems you must show you are willing and able, and geared in that sociopathic way, to take everything from someone else as a part of it. 'Success," that is. For years now, when I meet someone new, it becomes about name dropping, which they now call networking. Hmmmm. It's really still just name dropping, as far as I'm concerned. Okay, I get it that it might also be about finding out if you know people in common.....but, at least, for me doesn't come across that way, usually.

Nor do I think it egotistical in the slightest to want to make a difference. Seems to me it says you want to make the most of your time here, and want to be remembered as trying your best and having made a contribution that was significant.

Thanks for your reply.
Tetra50

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
reply to post by tetra50

" Is there not anything that makes you tick"

There are billions of people out there, who's only goal in life is to exist. Maybe breed at best in the hopes their children do something useful.

Maybe you're right about that. But I try to look at it more empathetically than that. For some people, it's very difficult to face the true reality, or even that, moment to moment these days, that's harder to pin down or define. And so, they look for a partner, someone they either have passion for, or feel comfortable with....or in the best of circumstances, some of both....for that kind of passion wanes eventually, regardless how hot it's burning may have been initially. That's just human nature and familiarity at work.

Is the desire for a family all that means to you, I guess, I would have to ask? I don't have the best situation where that is concerned, myself.....but it didn't mean, and perhaps meant even more, that it was something important to me, regardless at having failed at it (divorced, and though I do consider my daughter my family, we have a problematic relationship......though I never thought it her fault. It is more mine considering I am the parent.

I always hoped and still do my daughter will be "useful," as you say.....but just the word, useful, itself, seems representative of exactly the opposite of what you expressed in your first post. That's just the point to me, is that humanity seems increasingly exploitative, and our values out of whack......what we consider valuable more and more backwards. And that we concentrate mainly on how we can use each other, or situations, opportunistically. But this brings me back to how hard it is for some us just to live, to get up in the morning and do it all over again, the job, the mundane, while what we read and hear media wise seems increasingly usery, all about buying and selling, or even downright barbaric, in terms of crime. Perhaps this is just perception because once there were 24 hr. news stations, there was lots of time to fill, and with internet and wifi and broadband, it's all lightening fast, as well. Is it that we hear more than we ever heard before, and therefore, care about it less, as well as the value of life, in general, the news becoming more sensational, our interests more prurient, like goosenecking on the highway during an accident---which is again, human nature. But it seems the more desensitized to it we become, the more media we are exposed to, the more technological gadgets available, the more self absorbed and self centered we are, and the less we know how to care about each other, rather than of what "use" we are to each other.

IDK.....I think about those things quite a bit, myself, even trying to evaluate my relationships and reactions to people, as in am I interested in something I want from this person, or just appreciate their company......

Interesting, to say the least. Again, thanks for your replies.
Tetra50

ETA: I hope you achieve your goal as to moving us all forward, and being remembered for making a worthwhile contribution.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join